• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking Smoked Some Chocolate Congos - Updated

Still working on the Apple/cherry smoked bhuts you gave me last year. Thanks you again.

Question for you.....
Can I smoke in a gas grill or do I need a round charcoal pit if I don't have a smoker??????

no.t exactly sure. i don't have a gas grill so i've never tried it. i would think that if you used indirect heat you'd be okay

Thank you
Watch your temp closely on the gas grill!!! I 've done it on lots of improvised "smokers" as I like to do a bunch at once(4lbs orange habs last time)and my Big Chief long ago passed away....I smoke em on hardware screen 1/4 mesh with foil cover, 18"+/- from hardwood coals under a water pan, 3-4 cup fulls of wet chips about 30 minutes apart(1 handfull , wait 30-40,another handful...)3-4 hrs time with 140-50 deg.Lots of leeway, a little smoke goes a long way, just don't let em burn!

If there happens to be anything left, I'd be more than happy to pay for shipping to Canada. I've never had anything more exotic than a habanero (well, some smoked naga jolokia powder from Neill). Very awesome of you to share to freely.

Buddy, I ordered brown congo seed from peppermania. Is that the
same as your chocolate congo. I am assuming it is. Can you describe
the flavor a little.

Thanks

Linda

I got mine and I am currently trying to find a way to get some of it to stick to my upper lip, the smell is heavenly. Maybe I can shove a big piece into my nose? Anything to keep that smell around.

Thanks Buddy, your a generous guy.

it worked so well last year that i thought i'd try it again. this year's blend is chocolate habanero, chocolate bhut jolokia, chocolate habalokia. this is the 2nd batch that i've smoked (combination apple/cherry). also in the picture are some thai peppers undergoing the same smoke. smoked for about 6 hours.

smoke-1.jpg

I got 2 boxes yesterday. Thank you buddy for the jellies.

100_2056.jpg

Can you refresh my memory on what smoked peppers are in these?

Took one bite of the everything bagel I spread them on to realize the smokiness was not a bad thing in jelly. I see many mornings with toast in my future. and some PB&J's. Thanks again.

wow..... looks good... how does it taste...

100_2056.jpg

Took one bite of the everything bagel I spread them on to realize the smokiness was not a bad thing in jelly. I see many mornings with toast in my future. and some PB&J's. Thanks again.
it worked so well last year that i thought i'd try it again. this year's blend is chocolate habanero, chocolate bhut jolokia, chocolate habalokia. this is the 2nd batch that i've smoked (combination apple/cherry). also in the picture are some thai peppers undergoing the same smoke. smoked for about 6 hours.

smoke-1.jpg

can i order some power/flakes?

100_2056.jpg

Brian - used orange habaneros (non-smoked) and added some of Kevin's Super Smokey 7 powder to add the smokey flavor.

Try pouring it over some cream cheese and using it as a dip for crackers.

Back