• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smokin chilis (pipe or papers) ?

I am interested in making some smoked chile powders and just looking for some good advice. Is there a particular wood ya all use for smoking chilies? or are there some woods to be avoided when making chipotle peppers? thank you all in advance.

If you want a smoky powder you can always dehydrate the peppers in a regular dehydrator, and then, put them on the smoker (any wood) for 30 min to an hour. I'm not sure if this is considered a true smoked chile (like a chipotle smoked from a raw state) but it works and you don't have to worry about tending the smoker, constantly rotating, checking if they're done, cold smoking, etc. I also don't like oversmoked chiles. This works for a smoky powder very well. 1. Dehydrate. 2. Smoke. 3. Grind. A nice smoky powder. Also lets you fire up the smoker for some BBQ and gets them off the grill quick ;)

As far as smoking from a raw state I believe POTAWIE has tips.

Yup and the cool thing is you can dehydrate them and store them, you don't have to smoke right away, and when you go to BBQ a pork shoulder or something, just spend 30 min. to hour smoking the peppers first. Works like a charm.

what I did last year and it worked out great, I chopped up a bunch of peppers and lots of basil and a couple Garlic bulbs and smoked all of it together for a good 2-3 hrs, until the Cherry wood log burnt down to nothing. Then I put it all into the dehydrator and came out awesome! Much better than my first attempt which I dried the peppers out completely by smoking them with Cherry Wood, Hickory Wood and Mequite Wood. In dishes it was aweosme... but way over welming smoke flavor.

I was the opposite of THP I smoked mine first then dehydrated them -- I wanted to infuse the smoke into the flesh sorta like if I were to to ribs or whatever and when I felt they had enough smoke I finished them in the dehydrator still took a long time for both --

I cold smoke mine low and slow for a day or more usually using milder woods and then dehydrate them if still needed

Back