• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Smoky Orange Habs

I have only grown 1 kind of habanero, so unfortunately, I have nothing to directly compare it to.

It has a distinctly smoky flavor. The fruit ripen to a golden pumpkinish orange, and are 2-3 inches long and 2 inches wide, medium to large for habs from my limited understanding. The plant is by far my largest (out of 20 or so varieties) and is covered up in peppers.

They are pretty damn hot, but with nothing to compare to, it is hard to say how hot.

On a couple of websites I have seen descriptions that seem to match these, Pepper joe's

http://www.pepperjoe.com/cgi-bin/we...tore.pl?page=seeds.html&cart_id=1001620_16140

in particular seems to describe these as one of the hottest varieties of hab, or maybe even a scotch bonnet.

I know cross pollination is possible in the parent, but is the smokiness a trait of scotch bonnets in particular? I just wondered if anyone had experience with any like these.

Unfortunately I can't post a pic from here. I was mainly curious about the smoky flavor. Do you know if it is more of a scothc b trait?

From my experiance Scotch Bonnets are every bit as hot as Habanero's if there is a difference it is very slight.

Mick
Kato's

kato said:
From my experiance Scotch Bonnets are every bit as hot as Habanero's if there is a difference it is very slight.

Mick
Kato's

Guess it depends on the variety of Habanero.

I ate half a fresh Caribbean Red Hab today and it was most definitely hotter than a Scotch Bonnet :lol:

I have the one you are talking about CD -- Still ripening and they are very good - they are my second generation --

Yeah I am saving seeds! I will also try to overwinter the plant this winter. It is yummy.
Not to sound like a pepper snob, but I am over the need to have the hottest thing on the planet. This one is damn hot and it is delicious! I will branch out on habs, but this one will probably remain my workhorse. My god it has tons of peppers! And I don't fertilize.

I have two nodes within 2 inches of each other, each with 4 peppers growing out of it. The whole plant is not quite that densely packed, but I have never seen any other pepper plant(including tabasco and piquin)make so many pods. I hate to say it, but it's hard to justify having more than 1 of this plant. I love it, but I don't really need more habaneros.

Demon,
The Caribbean Red Habanero has a great taste, too, and my two plants this year have had a bumper crop-more than my orange habs. Try that variety next year-I like to slice them lengthwise, into strips, and eat em on a cracker. Once you've eaten about half the pepper, you realize the unique taste thats there. Next year, I'll have about 10 (or more) Caribbean Red plants going. Enjoy the flavor!

Scott

I got the carribean red and the pumpkin Both great...But my scotch bonnetts are much hotter...I like the habi's taste much more though...just personal pref I guess...Has anyone tried the Mirisol? Awesome I tell ya

Back