• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

SnakeDoc's grow log

I'm starting to gather the materials that I need for a an incubator box. What kind of confuses me is the soil that I need. I've read that I should use a soil that is peat free, but all of the soil that I see at Home Depot has peat in it. Any tips?

Oh, I forgot to mention that I'll be growing - Caribbean Reds, Jamaican Hot Chocolates, and White Habs. All from tomatogrowers.com

Try a local nursery first. I used Fafard cactus mix to germinate my first batch of seeds this year, and had great success (with a heat mat).

If you can find it, many swear by Pro-Mix on this forum. Used this to pot my seedlings up and to start round 2 of seeds, and I love it so far.

I think the peat-free trend is mainly for environmental reasons, so if you're pressed for time, and can't find anything else, it will do. Just try to find a nice light mix, preferably labled as seed starting mix (though Pro-Mix is not).

SnakeDoc said:
I'm starting to gather the materials that I need for a an incubator box. What kind of confuses me is the soil that I need. I've read that I should use a soil that is peat free, but all of the soil that I see at Home Depot has peat in it. Any tips?

Check to see if you have an Agway near you.
http://www.agway.com/
They sell Hoffman's seed starting mix and Pro-mix seed starting mix. I have not tried either. AJ (who has fantastic results) says Hoffman's is good. The Pro-mix BX potting soil is good so I would guess their seed starting mix is as well.

supplies

Today, I gathered my supplies. After doing my research on various forums, I'm more confused on how much perlite and sand to mix with the soil.

With a seed starting tray like this, should I punch holes in the top for ventilation? Also, some have said to water the tray from the bottom, but that doesn't make sense because the roots haven't sprouted yet.

I have the following:

Burpee 72-Cell Greenhouse Kit - Seed Starting
Sand
Perlite
Miracle Grow Potting Soil

SnakeDoc said:
Today, I gathered my supplies. After doing my research on various forums, I'm more confused on how much perlite and sand to mix with the soil.

With a seed starting tray like this, should I punch holes in the top for ventilation? Also, some have said to water the tray from the bottom, but that doesn't make sense because the roots haven't sprouted yet.

I have the following:

Burpee 72-Cell Greenhouse Kit - Seed Starting
Sand
Perlite
Miracle Grow Potting Soil

I have never grown anything from a seed, but would like to try my luck this year. I like the setup you have with the burpee tray, but is it possible to add a heating pad under the tray? I looked online and it seems that it has a pan that you fill with water so the soil is watered from the bottom, but if that is the case how do you go about keeping them warm? I have read that the soil needs to be 85 degrees for proper germination.

I'm actually constructing a grow box with reflective material inside. I just ordered a heating pad and am going to use that and a 23 Watt (100 Watt Equivalent @5500K) CFL bulb to sprout my seeds. I'll take pics as I construct the box. I'm still trying to figure out the best way to ventilate the box.

Doc... The Miracle Grow Potting Soil is not a good choice for peppers, the BX is much better or just general potting soil imho...

Lght... Yes temp is key to germination as far as peppers, 85* is perfect. You can get small plastic Nursery's with pad heaters in the $30 range...

Splitcane, I have trouble finding Promix here in NJ. I generally go to the Home Depot, but I'm guessing there are other better places to look for gardening supplies?

Doc... Yes, find a local Nursery, they will have what you need or go on-line, it's just a few days away...

The problem with MG is the Nitrogen, up to 24%. Way to much for Pepper. A little at first is good ( 5% ) but back it off to 3% when the peppers show flowers...

LGTH... Your better off prepping your soil/bed this year and use a local Nursery for your plants. They have the standards and will get you on the road quick...

Either way Pepper On My Friends...

Does anyone know a good place to order ProMix BX online? Somewhere around NJ preferred. If I order it online, it looks like the soil will cost ~$30 and the shipping around ~$60 !!

I saw those already, the location he is talking about is about 95 miles from where I live. I may go with the amazon store or try to find the Agway thats about 30-40 miles away. Oh the things i'm doing to grow these peppers...thanks though

If I can't find the Promix BX within a few days, I'll be conducting an experiment with what I do have. I'll be varying the soil/sand and additive mixtures within the 72 cell growing tray and will post pics of my results. Hopefully, this can help other people who have trouble finding ProMix.

SnakeDoc said:
I just ordered a heating pad and am going to use that and a 23 Watt (100 Watt Equivalent @5500K) CFL bulb to sprout my seeds.

SnakeDoc, if you are using a heat mat you do not need a light source to sprout your seeds. Just get them under the lights as soon as they sprout. As far as a mix to germinate seeds in, anything will work just find something that has no ferts in it.

Dale

Roger that PodPider. I actually found a store that sells soil without ferts. Anyone ever hear of Monrovia Organics Potting Soil?

Snakedoc you are way over thinking this. Get some potting soil without any fertilizer, it doesn't have to be anything fancy, drop some seeds in it, put a little heat under the container, keep the top of the soil moist, cover it to keep the heat in and wait. Don't worry about ventilation until the seeds have germinated and the seedling is out of the ground. Then remove it from the grow box and start putting some light on it.

Relax, this is supposed to be fun. All that research from a bunch of forums will make you crazy.

Good luck.

splitcane said:
LGTH... Your better off prepping your soil/bed this year and use a local Nursery for your plants. They have the standards and will get you on the road quick...

Thanks for the tip. I just picked up a few of those Bhut Jolokia plants and a few others that are already flowering and have buds on them. I still would like to try my luck at seeds since I was told that I can continue growing them for a while since my winter nights never get too cold.

I have already ordered about 10 different types of seeds and wanted to get that burpee 72 cell greenhouse, but not sure if I can use a heating pad with it or not? Is it possible or should I just heat it with the light bulb instead? I have quit a few CFL lights lying around that i'm no longer using for my fish tanks.

Back