• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

SnakeDoc's grow log

LGHT said:
Thanks for the tip. I just picked up a few of those Bhut Jolokia plants and a few others that are already flowering and have buds on them. I still would like to try my luck at seeds since I was told that I can continue growing them for a while since my winter nights never get too cold.

I have already ordered about 10 different types of seeds and wanted to get that burpee 72 cell greenhouse, but not sure if I can use a heating pad with it or not? Is it possible or should I just heat it with the light bulb instead? I have quit a few CFL lights lying around that i'm no longer using for my fish tanks.

Wow... If you can grow year around, go for it and it will be great to do both. I use the 17w mat with no problem but I run it 24/7, main thing is to keep soil temp between 80* & 90* durning gemanation...

A Heating pad ( for people )is a bad idea, the light bulb will work but it's hard to control the temp...

BigT... Why on 16 / off 8 on your mat...?

So I actually finished building my grow box and am wondering a couple of things. Pics coming soon.

How many degrees does the ambient soil temperature go up by when you use the plastic dome on the seed tray?

I tried taking the ambient soil temperature in my tray, but my thermometer is too long to be in the soil and have the plastic dome on at the same time.

Also, what is a good rule of thumb for watering a 72 cell seed tray? My soil mix is 70% soil/compost, 10% perlite, 10% vermiculite, and 10% sand.

splitcane said:
Wow... If you can grow year around, go for it and it will be great to do both. I use the 17w mat with no problem but I run it 24/7, main thing is to keep soil temp between 80* & 90* durning gemanation...

A Heating pad ( for people )is a bad idea, the light bulb will work but it's hard to control the temp...

BigT... Why on 16 / off 8 on your mat...?

I read it somewhere that you should lower temps at night on seeds. But 24/7 is probably fine on the heat mat as now I'm convinced that 24/7 lighting works better for seedlings up to 7 weeks. I think 75-85F is the ideal range for germination. 90F sounds too high.

Today, I woke up and found about 4/72 cells with sprouts. Is this normal? I'm not sure if I should put the daylight CFL in there now since it doesn't produce much heat. In the early stage, I've read that heat is more important than light. Is this right?

I'm a daddy! What do you guys think of my sprouts? Any tips? Next year I think I'll get seed starting soil that has less mulch in it. I also think I'll use linear fluorescent tubes next year so that the plants all get about the same amount of light.

IMG_0692.jpg

Closeup of sprouts. My white habs, Caribbean reds, and orange habs have sprouts, but my Jamaican hot chocolates have zero sprouts.

IMG_0701.jpg

Another set of sprouts

IMG_0702.jpg

I realize this is for some annuum varieties...I am still trying to find a graph like this for chinense...

germinationpercent.jpg

Thanks for the graph Jack, I've actually been keeping the temp anywhere from 80-90F. I think I need a better method of temperature control though. Right now to control the temperature all I do is use an old heavy laptop battery to prop one of the box's flaps open. Next years setup should be much better..

ALL of my plants died after I put them in the sun for 2 hours. They wilted and I've been trying to revive them for the past three weeks. Lesson learned for next year, hardening off is very important!

Yeah SnakeDoc...

It's a lesson I learned as well. Gardening is an experiment and an experience. Learn from your mistakes and never give it up.

Go to the nursery and let us know what seeds you need...

Bob

Back