• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

SnF's 2015 glog attempt

Planted 72 cells yesterday 2/27/15.  This year we're going with the following varieties:

1. Vulcan
2. Elo De Ecuador
3. Sigaretta de Bregamo
4. Pusa Jwala
5. Criolla de Cocina 
6. Piment de Bresse
7. Aji Colorado
8. Numex Conquistador
9. Sulu Adana
10. Aleppo
11. Yalova Charleston
12. Murupi Amarela 
13. Jalachuan
14. Bahamian Goat
15. Numex Pinata
16. Purple Beauty
17. Onza Amarillo
18. Orange Rocoto
19. Bell of Gollu
20. Tobasco
21. Traveller Jalapeno
22. Mulato Isleno
23. Peguis
24. Greek Pepperoncini
25. Italian Pepperoncini
26. Jalafuego
27. Fish pepper
28. Trinidad Spice
29. Long red cayenne
30. Padron
31. Chimayo
32. Cheongyang Gochu
33. Numex Mirasol
34. Pimente d'Espelette
35. Jemez Pueblo
36. Alcalde
37. Surinam 8 
38. Numex Spanish Piquillo
39. Fresno
40. St Helena
41. Giant Aconcagua
42. Bishop's Hat
42. Jamaican Gold

35m4foo.jpg

Ok just about a month later!  Repotted to 18oz solo cups about a week ago.    

just prior to the move (maters on right):

v3m06t.jpg

repotting:

a3mli8.jpg

After:

29wjyh4.jpg

Some notes:

I used a 'self watering' seed starting system from Burpee this year.  I came with small coir plugs that I didn't care for as much.  In years past I've used jify peat pellets for my peppers and I liked them better.  I still used the larger peat pellets for my tomatoes this year and the maters are well ahead of the largest peppers despite being started 10 days later.

Transplant mix consisted of jiffy seedling starter mix (5 bags) one bag of the newly branded organic potting soil from Miracle Grow plus a touch of compost from our bin out back.  Since being repotted all plants have rebounded nicely and are looking good.

Wow! That garden looks great. Loving the list. A lot of different spice there. I'm still experimenting with sauce making. Did a basic Mango a few weeks ago. I need to expand my horizons and think outside the box. I hope to make a new sauce this weekend.

Good luck with your grow.

Thanks for sharing.

Chuck

Plants look really nice, Dru!  Don't ya just love the landscape fabric?

I do that with my raised beds.  Almost no weeds certainly means more pleasure in the process!  Keeping on top of the weeding has always been my biggest gardening burden and the one that would always get the best of me.

Trident chilli said:
Nice healthy looking plants ... is that a soccer/football goal in the back ground ...

No sir that's a home made trellis for our cukes/pole beans.  I string paper twine from eye hooks set on the inside of the frame and the plants climb up.  Works pretty good, and at the end of the year I cut the twine and put the whole thing in the compost heap.  :)

SmokenFire said:
No sir that's a home made trellis for our cukes/pole beans.  I string paper twine from eye hooks set on the inside of the frame and the plants climb up.  Works pretty good, and at the end of the year I cut the twine and put the whole thing in the compost heap.  :)
Ingenious use of space and recyclable ... nice .. all the best for this season

Is that weed barrier cloth on top of your mulch? I don't think I've ever seen that before. Double insulation? Healthy crop!

Roguejim said:
Is that weed barrier cloth on top of your mulch? I don't think I've ever seen that before. Double insulation? Healthy crop!

Yes indeed RJ - that's landscaping fabric over the mulched beds.  It's a bit tricky to cut holes only big enough to get the seedlings in, but with a couple season's worth of practice it's not that difficult.  Helps warm up the soil faster before plant out, keeps dirt from splashing back up on the plants when it rains and best of all:  No weeding the beds!  As Dave said above - the constant weeding of the beds is my least favorite garden related activity.  :)  

Hybrid Mode 01 said:
     Super healthy looking plants, man! Is this where all those delicious sauces get their start? Also, are those pods the alcalde that you mentioned in your status? They look gorgeous!

Sure is brother!  And those pods are the ones mentioned in my status update.  The last three years I've been growing out about 30-40 types of peppers looking for my 'secret ingredient' for sauces.  Eventually I hope to contract with Wicked Mike and Sicman to grow out pods for my sauces, but that's a couple years away.  ;)

tctenten said:
Nice start to the season, hopefully there will be many more pods to harvest.

Pulled and roasted a Pimente de Bresse last night - WONDERFUL!  All plants are podded up nicely; the Murupi Amarellas are big this year.  Bahamian goats, aleppos, aji colorados, numex conquistadors, pusa jwalas, jalas, pepperoncinis all close.  :D

Looking good congrats on the ripe pods. Looks like your plants are all doing well.

I made a new batch of sauce the other night. Still tuning it up. It's getting better every time I make it. As soon as I get the recipe down in going to order bottles. Just hobby stuff.

Back