• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Some food I cooked (JayT's Flog)

I couldn't figure out where to post this stuff and didn't want to inundate The Drunken Chef, so I figured I would start my own thread for posting my foods, hot sauces and other creations.

100_1819.JPG

Teriyaki pork chops dusted with Cajun Island Blackening Spice

100_1821.JPG

100_1822.JPG

Pork quesadillas with three kinds of peppers cheddar jack cheese and Pex' HornetBomb sauce.

100_1824.JPG

100_1825.JPG

100_1826.JPG

100_1828.JPG

100_1829.JPG

100_1830.JPG

Yankee Enchiladas filled with, yep, more pork, tomatoes, onions, peppers, chiles, rice, and cheese.  Topped with Ranchero sauce, moar cheese, and black olives and baked.  Then topped again with sour cream and salsa verde.

Damn Jay you flogged up some serious eats before your trip!

TB, can I remove the whole wheat from your tortilla?

Steak.  I thought there was a cut open shot, but I guess I forgot as I was cramming this beautiful thing into my cakehole.

100_0285.JPG

Since the kids are on vacation for Christmas, I am on vacation with them.  I decided to use this time at home to get a few things done.  A little laundry, some cleaning, oh and cooking.  I thought today would be a great day to make a pot of chili.  This is a variation of my normal chili, but it is close.  I start with some ground venison, brown that up, add some fresh fresnos and jalapenos.  Then I added cumin, onion powder, seasoning salt, and garlic powder.  Some red wine, a can of beef broth, and a can of tomato paste.  I chopped up some leftover London Broil and added that, let all that go for a while then added my "dump" of chili powder.  I make this myself from dried anchos, pasilla, guajilla, California, New Mexico, and bhuts.  Finally, a can of crushed tomatoes, a small can of diced tomatoes, a can of black beans and a little brown sugar.  I brought it all to temperature and then put it on the back of the stove to simmer the rest of the day.  I will continue to stir it occasionally and adjust the seasoning as it goes.  I can already tell that it needs some more chili powder.  I'll post a pic of the finished product sometime later.

100_0291.JPG

The chili is going to be quite a while so I thought why not make some fresh bread out of the leftover pizza dough I have and use some more of that London Broil to make something for TB's SOTM thread.  I will post the sandwich there, but here is the bread anyway.

100_0290.JPG

100_0296.JPG

And while that is baking, and since I had my food processor and Magic Bullet infected with chile powder already, maybe I ought to finally grind up all those pods I have had dried since Bowers in September!

post-883-0-61543400-1381180360_thumb.jpg

100_0292.JPG

100_0293.JPG

100_0294.JPG

Herb Crusted Prime Rib Roast.  

The crust is fresh thyme, parsley, rosemary, tarragon, minced garlic, olive oil, French sea salt, cracked black pepper, and a teaspoon of my mixed superhot powder.  Before spreading the paste over the roast, I salted and peppered the whole thing.

100_0318.JPG

I decided to make some crab cakes too while I am at it.

100_0319.JPG

That seems interesting. I want one all for me. Now. I don't even care if it's cooked or not, seems fine as it is for me!

Super wombat chingon rib carcass and crab cakage Jay!

Looks like you rested the meat before slicing too.

Smart!

How's the herb crust taste?

Looks like some of it slid off but that's cool and the gang.

Save me some of them crab cakes man.

When do right even cold for breakfast they're still goodern' hell!

Crust got a little charred, I think maybe I should have covered it.  It was a perfect MR.  I pulled it at 119F and let it rest, tented for a half hour.  The crabcakes are stolen from here: http://andrewzimmern.com/2012/12/31/baltimore-style-crab-cakes/

I love them because there is almost no filler. The only thing I change is I add some Old Bay seasoning and double everything because I use both lump and claw meat.

Crap.

Shouldna' mentioned the Old Bay.

I hate that sheeit and can't even stand the smell of it.

Fine then.

No crab cakes for me.

How 'bout I just come by and make mysef' a prime rib sammich and then split, ya' know like Judas at The Last Supper.

Oh wait.

Did you dig up the horseradish root?

No I didn't, I decided just to go with the herb and garlic crust.  Gotta tell you, the au jus is awesome.

Too bad about the horseradish but no matter.

I know first hand yer' bitchin' kitchen skeelz.

Wrap that rib in barb wire and I'd still Mao it.

I'ma go now and crack a hoskey and plug in a guitar and sing songs about hippy's holding hands and thinking pure thoughts while looking over a strawberry field with butterflies and unicorn's prancing about.

I had my annual tiny trophy chili cookoff this past weekend again.  I decided to eschew my three time winning recipe for something different this year, green chili.

Ingredients; 
pork rib meat chunked
chicken breast chunked
green bell
jalapeno
anaheim
poblano
cubanelle
green onion
white onion
tomatillos
pigeon peas
small white beans
monterey jack cheese
cilantro
garlic
ginger
sea salt
cumin
black pepper
white pepper
seasoning salt
chicken stock
vinegar
lime juice

I roasted all the peppers and tomatillos in the oven covered with a little olive oil and sea salt until they began to brown.  I peeled the skins and deseeded.  While all that was going on, I sauteed the meats, onion, roasted green bell,  and removed.  I pureed the chile mix and added to the pot along with the chicken stock, seasonings and all other ingredients.  I simmered everything for a couple hours, then added the cheese to thicken.  

100_0389.JPG

100_0390.JPG

I didn't win best overall this year, but I finished second.  I also won most unique.  Green chili is not something that is very common to this area so it was fun to watch people try it that may have not been able to before.

100_0394.JPG

Now this morning I made something I have been craving for a while.  Homemade chicken fried rice.

Ingredients;
cooked and cooled rice
diced chicken breast tossed with Thai and Cherry Smoked Scorpion Powders
onion
green onion
carrot
jalapeno
roasted red peppers
habanero oil
garlic
ginger
soy sauce
fish sauce
sesame oil
oyster sauce
Sriracha

I cooked the rice yesterday and let it cool overnight in the fridge.  I heated up my wok and added the habanero oil.  When it was screaming hot, I stir fried the chicken, then added the veggies, garlic, and ginger.  Next the rice, I basically had to chop it all up as it was one solid piece :lol:  after it was spread out in the pan, I added the soy, fish sauce, sesame oil, Sriracha, and oyster sauce.  Once everything was mixed and good and hot, its done.  Delicious and very spicy, just what I was craving!

100_0391.JPG

100_0392.JPG

100_0393.JPG

Keep the rice but I'll have a bowl of that green chile.

I'd call that sheeit chingon but somebody stole that word for a hot sauce label.

I need a new word.

Back