• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking Somethings wrong here.......

There is something that has been bothering me. I stopped by Chili’s a few nights ago to get some take out for my family. As I stood there waiting for my order, I noticed that the waiters and waitresses were bringing out plate after plate of ribs. Now in my opinion Chili’s ribs are not that good. So what has been bothering me is why would people go to Chili’s for ribs and people who have a BBQ joint where they serve real low and slow cooked BBQ ribs, struggle to find customers? Something about that seems so wrong. What do you think?

Because people are stupid for the most part. And yes, Chili's ribs stink on ice.
It's probably mostly a location=convenience thing....especially since Chili's are all over the damn place.

I would speculate that most people don't know what BBQ really is and how good it can be. Then again, in a microwave instant fast food world, many don't care. Most folks sadly think BBQ is firing up the charcoal weber and doin' up rollers and sliders, which of course is grilling, not bbq. I know of no chain that puts out any product that can compare to the smaller guy who makes it his life and passion. Lemme' 'splain.....choice of BBQ between Chili's? or Get Down Brown's Houston Mojo BBQ & Voodoo Catfish? Most folks opt for the Chili's because it's safe, they know what to expect. For those in the know, with a name like Get Down Brown's, there may be a suspicion that the "Q" will most likely, upon eating it, cause you to see GOD! Good BBQ will do that though! I'll choose the Saltlick in Austin or Cotton's in Kingsville over Chili's anyday.

texas blues said:
I would speculate that most people don't know what BBQ really is and how good it can be. Then again, in a microwave instant fast food world, many don't care. Most folks sadly think BBQ is firing up the charcoal weber and doin' up rollers and sliders, which of course is grilling, not bbq. I know of no chain that puts out any product that can compare to the smaller guy who makes it his life and passion. Lemme' 'splain.....choice of BBQ between Chili's? or Get Down Brown's Houston Mojo BBQ & Voodoo Catfish? Most folks opt for the Chili's because it's safe, they know what to expect. For those in the know, with a name like Get Down Brown's, there may be a suspicion that the "Q" will most likely, upon eating it, cause you to see GOD! Good BBQ will do that though! I'll choose the Saltlick in Austin or Cotton's in Kingsville over Chili's anyday.

Hell, i say the crummier or dirtier, the better!

Another reason - familys. Kids aren't into ribs, they like chicken nuggets and french fries. If the kids aren't happy, chances are nobody is happy, and kids like crazy stuff on the walls and bright colors, and don't have the ability to know good food from chicken nuggets.

When I worked at a pizza parlor, I thought we made some damn good pizza; better than any national brand. Still kids would whine for Domino's because they know who Domino's is, and therefore it must be better in their mind.

dream that's a big point. Brand recognition. In most cases people go for what they know. There was another post about Tabasco a while back and how we love to bash them. One reason a guy would buy Tabasco over say as an example, Cholula, everybody know's Tabasco. Some have never heard of Cholula. (what...you been in a cave?) Your pizza example as per Domino's is another manifestation of that and you are correcta mundo on the kid thang' too.

I've always wondered the same thing. I know why people like fast food. It's a totally different thing than the real thing. You can't compare a White Castle burger to a backyard burger, and it's okay to like both. What I've never understood is the sit-down restaurants that aren't fast food... a la Chili's, Friday's, Olive Garden. Why go to these crap restaurants when you can go to a family restaurant and get a better meal? You are not saving time, as in fast food? People just don't know what good food is. If it doesn't taste horrible, they will rave about it, lol... "Chili's has the best ribs!"... whatever.

I really don't think it's convenience. People will go out of their way for these places. People actually make reservations and get together at these places.

Mmmmmmmm, White Castle! Food of the Gods, but only at 3am when under the infuence of something. Castle's are actually an amazing food, it's the only food on the Earth that smells the same going in as it does going out.

Maybe people buying baby back ribs at Chilis is a subliminal thing. They go to Chilis for something to eat, not knowing what they want, then the song plays in their head "Chilis Baby Back Ribs..." and they order them. It's good marketing, who doesn't know the Chilis baby back rib song? If you can get a jingle or a catch phrase for your product that becomes so common that everyone knows it, then you have hit the jackpot marketing-wise. For example the "oscar meyer weiner song" or the "big mac song"

chemegator said:
Maybe people buying baby back ribs at Chilis is a subliminal thing. They go to Chilis for something to eat, not knowing what they want, then the song plays in their head "Chilis Baby Back Ribs..." and they order them. It's good marketing, who doesn't know the Chilis baby back rib song? If you can get a jingle or a catch phrase for your product that becomes so common that everyone knows it, then you have hit the jackpot marketing-wise.

And Mike Myers helped that tune out alot as well.

Sickmont said:
Hell, i say the crummier or dirtier, the better!

So very very true. I think the best BBQ sammy I ever ate came from a place that looked like it could have beena multi-seat outhouse. It was somewhere in Ga. on my way down to Kissimmee for a cookoff. Haven't found it again, but I know it's off an exit next to a gas station and will continue to search for it on my way down south to Disney (sorry GG, got kids).

:shocked: Some places get the moniker 'The "IN-Place" to be'. And I find nothing really fantastic about the 1 or 2 I've visited becasue somebody else wanted to go there and 'be seen'.:shocked:

Taste and quality are not the #1 choice for going out. Socialization and convince are #1 and #2. the generalization "good food" , which is VERY subjective, is #3. Chilis creates an atmosphere that is friendly, family, and has enough variety as to be neutral enough to please everyone.

I'd like to sight my source but I forget which industry mag it came from. Probably restaurant news weekly.

darthcarl said:
Taste and quality are not the #1 choice for going out. Socialization and convince are #1 and #2. the generalization "good food" , which is VERY subjective, is #3. Chilis creates an atmosphere that is friendly, family, and has enough variety as to be neutral enough to please everyone.

I'd like to sight my source but I forget which industry mag it came from. Probably restaurant news weekly.
For me:
#1 Availability and price of good beer, #2 Socicialization, and #3 Good food...huh...good food still came in thrid...that magazine was right.

and add in that quantity is associated with value in most consumers...

the "i want my baby back ribs" marketing...

The monster that is called Brinker....

Back