• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Sophomore grow 2014

I will try to keep this updated once a week.My first season was a lot of trial and error.If I had a problem I came directly to the HP for advice to solve plant issues and what to do with the pods harvested,for that I thank you all.I still was not confident I could start from seeds so along with the plants in my closet I will be getting a few from Chillyplants.They sent some very very healthy peppers to me last spring.I also overwintered 6 plants from 2013,3 went to pepper Heaven.
   From my seeds'
    7-pots
   Yellow Moruga
    Red moruga
   Trinidad Scorps
  Choco Ghost
    Live Plants from Chillies
   Red Brain Strain
   Jays Red Ghost Scorp
Naga Morich
 Eds Reapers
Tabasco
Siling Labuyo
Malaqueta
View attachment 10096
View attachment 10097
View attachment 10098
View attachment 10099
  Could not close 2013 without showing my wall of shame,or fame.We will find out when all my fermenting jars get turned into sauce. ;)

Sorry I  have not been more active on the site the last couple weeks.yearly inventory at work,and other odds and ends have kept me busy.
 The season is pretty much over after my Friday pull.It was by far my best of the year.(what a great year,thank you weather man.)I was like a bull in a china shop picking yesterday. .All season I wanted to be careful not to knock pods off.Going thru my plants not giving a crap if I busted a branch or two made the task of pulling anything with color easy.I still have hundreds and hundreds of green pods that will not make it
  Thanks to all of you for stopping by  my glog.Updating my glog and stopping in to share with others in what they do has been as fun as the growing.
   Cheers. :P .
P>S
I hate destemming all the damn Peppers. :dance:
Two pics of the carnage when I got done picking.
2014-10-04 006.JPG

2014-10-04 005.JPG

tabascos that will NOT be making the 2015 list.These stubborn things pissed me off. ;)
2014-10-04 004.JPG

I got bunch of reapers that got their stuff together and made the cut.
2014-10-04 002.JPG

4 more boxes that need sorted and packed.
2014-10-04 003.JPG

Looking killer, I'm so glad that I don't have to prepare for a complete winter apocalypse. Last year I was getting pretty decent harvests all through the winter.

There is a giant tobasco "tree" at the office I work at. It seems to do okay here, but always looks a little thin.

Thanks Slade,my tabasco is in a smart pouch so it will be coming inside to finish.
  Amazing how quick pods turn when they sense the end is near.I picked anything with color last week and now I have another pull getting close.
 Random garden shots showing color
2014-10-10 004.JPG

2014-10-10 003.JPG

2014-10-10 002.JPG

Jays Red was very slow turning,I would love to get all these to finish
2014-10-10 005.JPG

2014-10-10 006.JPG

In case my plants don't think they are running out of time,I backed "The Undertaker" into position. :P
2014-10-10 001.JPG

Devv said:
Glad to see you have more in the wings.

LOL, the undertaker, 83 model?
    1980 Scott,paid 100$ for it.What a steal,4wd,with a 302 in it.Hell I paid more for the tires then the truck.It is my workhorse. ;)

I am on frost patrol this early in the morning.Frost advisory until 9am.Sprayed the garden at 3;30am with epsom salt spray.may hit it again at 6;30am.Little fert spray doubling as a frost repeller. :P
2014-10-11 001.JPG

frost is heavy on the pickem-up truck already.
2014-10-11 004.JPG

if i get thru tonight,I buy the plants another full week of ripening.My temps rise for 7 days.

Update 6am,temps 31 and falling.I'm in it now,hit the plants with mist again.
2014-10-11 009.JPG

the grass just on the outside of the plants. :confused:
2014-10-11 007.JPG

Hope your plants pull through after the frost last night Randy, but at least you've got enough stockpiled to last you through the winter. Nice looking batch of "Twister" sauce! Do you have a way to test the pH on it? I bet you'd have a shelf-stable product with better "pour-ability" if you ran the batch through a fine sieve or food mill and added more vinegar or citrus juice.

Good luck!

Thanks guys.Rick I do have a ph tester and it came out at 3.8.I ran the batch thru my food mill but did need more liquid.I was looking for a sauce that had some staying power compared to the ones I have made.This fit the bill,now I need to add the vinegar or citrus juice as you suggest to get a flow going.
     The plants pulled thru,so I have another week according to my 10 day forecast before I need to worry again.

I'm loving it you beat the frost!

I used the same technique several years ago when we had a unexpected and late freeze (26°). The icing doesn't hurt the plants, it's the moisture suck of the frost..

Good job!

The plants had rain all day yesterday and a 30-35 mile north wind all day today.The leaves are almost gone,nothing left but the pods trying to give up one more pull.
garden shots of color and plants nearing the end.
2014-10-14 001.JPG

2014-10-14 002.JPG

my 'not brain' that turned out lots of cool pods. ;)
2014-10-14 005.JPG

luv the choco bhuts.a 2015 shoe-in. :dance:
2014-10-14 004.JPG

Thanks for asking Scott.My soil temp is 54,the next 7 days go from a high of 70 on thursday to as low as 37 saturday morning.60 for highs and 40 for lows will be the average.No hard freeze yet but these cooler temps are taking their toll on the plants. :rolleyes:

You made me look at my soil temps; I looked at two sites and 1 said 66°, the other said 65-70°. The depth was at 4"s. I guess that's an average from past data. Weird thing is we have only had a few days of cool weather, those temps seem low to me...

Our weather forecast:

1267.jpg

I think I'll dig down 4"s and stick a meat thermometer in the soil and see what I get ;)

You got my curiosity going here!

I believe in the soil temp as a gauge to how happy or not the plants are.That or maybe I just like statistics.Anything under 50 in the ground is a big problem. :P

randyp said:
    Thanks for asking Scott.My soil temp is 54,the next 7 days go from a high of 70 on thursday to as low as 37 saturday morning.60 for highs and 40 for lows will be the average.No hard freeze yet but these cooler temps are taking their toll on the plants. :rolleyes:

Take what you can get Randy! We're looking at hard frost by this weekend if the forecast is right. Cheers!

I agree with the soil temps, and the 50°. I planted by schedule and didn't pay attention to the soil temps this spring. The plants just sat there doing nothing for a full month; so next spring I plant the peppers 2 weeks later AND pay attention to the soil temps. Funny how the Maters just don't care...

Back