• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Sophomore grow 2014

I will try to keep this updated once a week.My first season was a lot of trial and error.If I had a problem I came directly to the HP for advice to solve plant issues and what to do with the pods harvested,for that I thank you all.I still was not confident I could start from seeds so along with the plants in my closet I will be getting a few from Chillyplants.They sent some very very healthy peppers to me last spring.I also overwintered 6 plants from 2013,3 went to pepper Heaven.
   From my seeds'
    7-pots
   Yellow Moruga
    Red moruga
   Trinidad Scorps
  Choco Ghost
    Live Plants from Chillies
   Red Brain Strain
   Jays Red Ghost Scorp
Naga Morich
 Eds Reapers
Tabasco
Siling Labuyo
Malaqueta
View attachment 10096
View attachment 10097
View attachment 10098
View attachment 10099
  Could not close 2013 without showing my wall of shame,or fame.We will find out when all my fermenting jars get turned into sauce. ;)

Time for a new camera,I must have overworked it this year.I primed one,should be here thursday.I got another 5 gallons of peppers from the garden and I think that might be it.It was a great year. :dance:

I got my new camera,and it is going to take some time learning how to use it.My old camera was about 8 years old,software on the computer does not like it any more.Time for the upgrade.
random garden shot.It all goes away next weekend.
PA250002.JPG

The friggin Tabasco can kiss my butt,I was going to put it on the porch to finish,I decided not to waste another minute on this unruly plant.It did not want to put out at the time all the other plants were,So it is to the compost pile, ;)
PA250001.JPG

Ryley just being Ryley.
PA250003.JPG

Too bad about the Tabasco Randy, I had the same thing happen to me last year with my Aji Panca plants... they were lush and full of pods, but the season ended before they ripened up. That's how we learn what will grow in our area...

We're absolutely done here... frost came this past sunday and killed the leaves on the peppers and other tender plants. You've had a great season, and you've worked hard for it. Very cool that you got a new camera. Looking forward to many more and nicer pics in future. :)

Congrats on the new camera Randy?  What did you decide on?

And yes! You've had a really great season!

Thanks guys for stopping by.I got an Olympus camera,nothing to fancy.I did not want one that would be to complicated. :P

These were the last pods of 2014.Some need a to ripen a bit.Thanks to all you members who were kind enough to share your grow and advise on "how to".I will not be using this year as a benchmark for future seasons.It was a gardeners dream from start to finish.
  This bag of yellows,choco bhuts and the others are my fridge pods until I can find a good use for them.I have enough frozen and am going to miss that fresh taste.
2014-11-01 001.JPG

2 batches that need a little more color
2014-11-01 006.JPG

2014-11-01 008.JPG

Great season Randy. I pulled most of my plants this morning. I left about six that still had a decent amount of pods on them, next weekend will be it for them.

randyp said:
  These were the last pods of 2014.Some need a to ripen a bit.Thanks to all you members who were kind enough to share your grow and advise on "how to".I will not be using this year as a benchmark for future seasons.It was a gardeners dream from start to finish.
  This bag of yellows,choco bhuts and the others are my fridge pods until I can find a good use for them.I have enough frozen and am going to miss that fresh taste.
post-8253-0-43700200-1414948538_thumb.jpg

Nice color here!  I like the look of the choco bhuts...

Spicegeist said:

Nice color here!  I like the look of the choco bhuts...
  Thanks.These pods did not mess around.I made a pull a couple weeks ago,these pods were all green.I thought I was done,I was wrong. ;)

Devv said:
You finished out well Randy!

Break time soon!
 Actually,it will be busy indoor with my bounty needing worked up.I luv grinding dried peppers. :dance: I think I will be getting a good mask. ;)

The end is here.Today pulled the garden and raked it down for the winter.The yard looks a hell of a lot different then it did on May 1rst when the first plants from seed hit the dirt.
I have a leg up on next year in having 15 raised plots.I think instead of 2plants per square I will be selective and only put in one.I will still have plenty for my friends and freebies for our members.Also I would like to stand some next year instead of belly crawling thru the jungle to pic pods. This may be my last update,unless it's a sauce or something where I don't want to clutter up the main threads.
   Peace out guys and gals.
  Maybe during the offseason I will be able to use my new camera without all the background glare. :rolleyes:
2014-11-07 005.JPG

this pic is not to bad
2014-11-07 007.JPG

Thanks Scott,I was amazed at the all out production I got out of the little space I used for their growth.The peppers have been one of the most enjoyable hobbies I have picked up in my lifetime.It is not just being able to grow them,you had better damn well respect them.They have danger factor that you don't get from growing onions. ;) I found myself giving lots of advice to my friends so they would have a good experience,and not total fear of them.I can say that in the area of Iowa I am in,we now have many more fans of peppers other than jalapeno and Bell.

Randy, I'd say great year for you!

Looking forward to seeing how the next season goes, and hopefully by then you'll have your camera fixed up a bit. I'd suggest cleaning it very well and then YouTube tutorial videos to find how to shoot pictures a little better. There are a bunch of settings in most cameras, even phones with cameras, that you can adjust to seperate the different aspects of the object you are photographing. Look into iso, shutterspeeds, white balance, and exposure. Those are typically the big ones to adjust and make any picture look amazing.

Back