• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Sophomore grow 2014

I will try to keep this updated once a week.My first season was a lot of trial and error.If I had a problem I came directly to the HP for advice to solve plant issues and what to do with the pods harvested,for that I thank you all.I still was not confident I could start from seeds so along with the plants in my closet I will be getting a few from Chillyplants.They sent some very very healthy peppers to me last spring.I also overwintered 6 plants from 2013,3 went to pepper Heaven.
   From my seeds'
    7-pots
   Yellow Moruga
    Red moruga
   Trinidad Scorps
  Choco Ghost
    Live Plants from Chillies
   Red Brain Strain
   Jays Red Ghost Scorp
Naga Morich
 Eds Reapers
Tabasco
Siling Labuyo
Malaqueta
View attachment 10096
View attachment 10097
View attachment 10098
View attachment 10099
  Could not close 2013 without showing my wall of shame,or fame.We will find out when all my fermenting jars get turned into sauce. ;)

Thanks Terry.I took my first pull and made a basic ferment today.Cant wait for it to be ready for some fall sauce.. :P
    P>S I am going to need a hell of a lot more jars.
1105 grams yellow moruga(2 and a half pounds,about)
2tbls pickling salt in 4 cups water for brine
dash of sugar(1 tsp per qrt)
2 lacto tabs per qt
3 big mouth mason with airlocks.
2014-08-09 001.JPG

2014-08-09 007.JPG

My airlocks just got delivered today.  I am going to try a fermented sauce as well.  Where/what type of store did you find the lacto tabs?  I am having to order a lot of this stuff online as I cannot find it locally.  How long will you let that ferment?

I have Amazon Prime so a lot of the stuff I get is from there.I live far enough from the bigger cities,that the time and gas for some things would not be worth the drive.Thats where I got my tabs,but if you read thru the fermenting forum in this sight there are smarter guys then me that have other options for a starter.As far as fermenting, it depends on how many different items you have in the jar.It will feed off the sugars and then settle down is the best way I can explain it.Once it has finished fermenting it then just mellows the flavors with age.

Note to self,wait till sun is all the way up before picking pods.Ha

A 7-pot red seed from last year turned out the pod in the middle.The only elongated pods I grew last year was a Choco Bhut.Must be a cross.All the unripe pods are as long as the choco on the right.
2014-08-10 001.JPG

These are my mystery pods.Not red Brains.They look wicked.I am saving seeds from these to see what happens next year.
2014-08-10 002.JPG

These 3 on the bottom and the top two on the right are on the way in the morning Nigel. :shh:

Weekend is here.So is the rain.I pulled until I got poured on.Crawling thru the mud to harvest pods is a realization that you might have a pepper problem. :P
2014-08-15 008.JPG

2014-08-15 002.JPG

Choco bhuts
2014-08-15 005.JPG

my unnamed pods and monster yellow
2014-08-15 007.JPG

sons bball X my yellow
2014-08-15 009.JPG
\
1oz per pod,holly crap.
2014-08-15 010.JPG

Another great harvest Randy. Have you tried those Malagueta or Siling Labuyo peppers yet? I would love to hear your opinion of them.

tctenten said:
Another great harvest Randy. Have you tried those Malagueta or Siling Labuyo peppers yet? I would love to hear your opinion of them.
  ( Online review),The malagueta has a nice punch that dies quickly in front but the flavors thru the mouth are great.Kind of a sweat heat flavor.Very Nice.For a small pepper it is full of energy.Most of the heat stays with the roof of the mouth and in front,nothing to note in back.
 The Siling Labuyo has a bigger punch right out of the gate.Sides,top and back to throat.When you first take the bite there is a great sweat flavor.This could be a great cooking pepper in the right conditions.The burn stays but not terrible.I see a good salsa in this.. ;)
     On a side note it takes patients to harvest these little mothers.

Last year I grew in containers.In one pot I had a Choco Bhut and a 7-pot red original.This year a seed from the 7-pot turned out a plant with elongated pods that ripen to red.Might have crossed.
2014-08-16 006.JPG

My Jays red ghost scorp with it's tail between its legs.Cant wait to try it. ;)
2014-08-16 002.JPG

2014-08-16 008.JPG

randyp said:
    Note to self,wait till sun is all the way up before picking pods.Ha

A 7-pot red seed from last year turned out the pod in the middle.The only elongated pods I grew last year was a Choco Bhut.Must be a cross.All the unripe pods are as long as the choco on the right.
attachicon.gif
2014-08-10 001.JPG
These are my mystery pods.Not red Brains.They look wicked.I am saving seeds from these to see what happens next year.
attachicon.gif
2014-08-10 002.JPG
  These 3 on the bottom and the top two on the right are on the way in the morning Nigel. :shh:

Looking very nice Randy! That "un-named pepper" of yours looks a lot like Scott's "Funky Reaper".  Good on ya for trying a ferment for a sauce down the road... I'll be keeping an eye out to see how it comes out in a month or so. How long are you planning on letting it age after the ferment is over?

Cheers!

Man, you have some outstanding looking pods goin' on! That mystery pod, that monster yellow and especially that red 7 x chocolate bhut. I don't know why, but I love it when bhuts get that angular shape with the ridges down the side like that. 
     If your pods taste half as good as they look, you're gonna be one lucky pepper head!

stickman said:

Looking very nice Randy! That "un-named pepper" of yours looks a lot like Scott's "Funky Reaper".  Good on ya for trying a ferment for a sauce down the road... I'll be keeping an eye out to see how it comes out in a month or so. How long are you planning on letting it age after the ferment is over?

Cheers!
     I have to pander to my buddies at work who are Hawkey Fans,so the 2nd or 3rd week of the football season I am going to throw them a yellow sauce.I was born and bred in Nebraska so I take a lot of heat from this side of the river.Now it's my turn to gives some heat. :dance:  :dance:

dash 2 said:
     Man, you have some outstanding looking pods goin' on! That mystery pod, that monster yellow and especially that red 7 x chocolate bhut. I don't know why, but I love it when bhuts get that angular shape with the ridges down the side like that. 
     If your pods taste half as good as they look, you're gonna be one lucky pepper head!
   Thanks Dash,I checked out your glog it is fantastic.Lets swap some seeds for 2015.I will be in touch. ;)

Just finished dehydrating Fridays pull.I do this on my freezer in the garage.Left for work at 5:30 am and all I could smell in the car was those damn drying peppers.If it was not raining I would have put the Nesco on top of my smoker.

2014-08-16 016.JPG

Beautiful pods Randy!

I made some sauce last year from a ferment, I used coffee and Bourbon to knock the lactic overtones. I have a test batch with just Hab's and salt sitting on the counter since January (wife just reminded me again ;))

Wishing you continued success!

Devv said:
Beautiful pods Randy!

I made some sauce last year from a ferment, I used coffee and Bourbon to knock the lactic overtones. I have a test batch with just Hab's and salt sitting on the counter since January (wife just reminded me again ;))

Wishing you continued success!
      Thanks for the tip Scott,I have been wondering how to knock down that unpleasant burn that is not from the peppers.I am a work in progress.

Hot outside,but needed to take a trip thru the garden.
My tabasco that needs to go red.
2014-08-20 004.JPG

Garden shot.
2014-08-20 011.JPG

The hole I crawl thru to get pods. ;)
2014-08-20 010.JPG

Random pod shots.
2014-08-20 006.JPG

choco ghost plant.
2014-08-20 005.JPG

My jays red with the tail in it's belly.
2014-08-20 012.JPG

The 2013 choco ghost X 7-pot original.Things are very cool.And long
2014-08-20 008.JPG

2014-08-20 009.JPG

2014-08-20 013.JPG

I gave up when I filled the tub.Thursday I may try to hit it again.
2014-08-20 014.JPG

Nice pull Randy! That'll warm the cockles of your heart. :onfire:

Picked my first ripe Tabascos after work tonight, so yours could turn ripe any day now. Keep up the good work!

Thanks Rick,I cant wait for the tabasco's,I have been nibbling on my other small varieties and love them.Here are the plants from today.
the siling labuyo
2014-08-20 001.JPG

the malagueta(I could eat these like sunflower seeds)
2014-08-20 002.JPG

Got things ready for a Friday smoke,thank you unused vacation.Two 3 day weekends in a row.Yea baby..
50/50 beef and pork trim with dried reds and old plantation seasoning.This summer sausage is going to be great.
2014-08-21 001.JPG

All pork(with 1lb bacon) Brats.
2014-08-21 002.JPG

Back