• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Sophomore grow 2014

I will try to keep this updated once a week.My first season was a lot of trial and error.If I had a problem I came directly to the HP for advice to solve plant issues and what to do with the pods harvested,for that I thank you all.I still was not confident I could start from seeds so along with the plants in my closet I will be getting a few from Chillyplants.They sent some very very healthy peppers to me last spring.I also overwintered 6 plants from 2013,3 went to pepper Heaven.
   From my seeds'
    7-pots
   Yellow Moruga
    Red moruga
   Trinidad Scorps
  Choco Ghost
    Live Plants from Chillies
   Red Brain Strain
   Jays Red Ghost Scorp
Naga Morich
 Eds Reapers
Tabasco
Siling Labuyo
Malaqueta
View attachment 10096
View attachment 10097
View attachment 10098
View attachment 10099
  Could not close 2013 without showing my wall of shame,or fame.We will find out when all my fermenting jars get turned into sauce. ;)

As with everyone else in the Midwest at this point,we are dealing with rain but great temps.The folks north of me are watching the upcoming week temps,as there are sure to be record low.   
TR,scorp
View attachment 12538
siling labuyo
View attachment 12534
yellow moruga
View attachment 12536
naga
View attachment 12537
red moruga
View attachment 12539
malaqueta
View attachment 12540
7-pot
View attachment 12541
choco ghost
View attachment 12542
random wildflower in the garden
View attachment 12535

Wow Randy!

You guys north of me kill me! I don't get pods here until the plants are close to 3' tall, and 'yall load up from the word go! What's up with that?

Plants look great and I'm sure they will treat you right.

What's with this weather? I just saw the weather and they're talking cold stuff. So much for uh...global warming.

Keep doing what you're doing!

Devv said:
Wow Randy!

You guys north of me kill me! I don't get pods here until the plants are close to 3' tall, and 'yall load up from the word go! What's up with that?

Plants look great and I'm sure they will treat you right.

What's with this weather? I just saw the weather and they're talking cold stuff. So much for uh...global warming.

Keep doing what you're doing!
       Nothing special Scott,I'm using "Bobs top Soil with Berry's pot mix" I got down at the grocery store.This years weather has been a backyard gardeners dream.I say that because I was able to pull my shade when Hail hit.It saved me,but some of the guys I know lost everything.As for the cold front coming,I am in pretty good shape with the plants as stable as they are.I am concerned for our growers north,say MInnesota,and Wisc,into Michigan.They may have some drop that is not related to extreme heat. :confused:
ArkansasJack said:
Peppers look good..........
      Thanks Jack.Go Hogs

I just got caught up on your grow, everything looks great. I am interested in your "ant farming" methods. That was borax and sugar mixed in a plastic container? What is the ratio of the mixture that you use?

tctenten said:
I just got caught up on your grow, everything looks great. I am interested in your "ant farming" methods. That was borax and sugar mixed in a plastic container? What is the ratio of the mixture that you use?
       Let me check but I think it was 6tbls sugar and 1tbls borax.I only left it out when I knew there was no rain on the way.I took it out after they stopped showing up in the little container I had the mix in.Low and behold I have not seen an aphid since.The ants are aloud to come play again.If they behave. ;)

I just got done pulling weeds in the beds and found a protector of my peppers.Almost every one of the beds have a private spider web with spiders on patrol.

Man, I wish I had your weather.  My fam is in Iowa and i'm extremely jealous of their "comfortable" temperatures.

Great looking plants.  I hope my 7-Pot Yellow looks anything close to yours.  

Have your Chocolate Ghosts started to change yet?

This will hopefully be moving along with the rest of the pods,they are huge.The choco's are not turning yet.But when they do will get some pics up DL.
 What part of Iowa is your Family from?

Under the canopy of leaves there is a whole world all its own.Problem is you have to lie down to see it.I am sure the neighbors wonder why the Hell I always nap in the garden. ;)
View attachment 12702
View attachment 12707
red morugas
View attachment 12706
TS<scorps
View attachment 12708
Choco Bhuts
View attachment 12709
Little help here.Cant identify yet,some say purple bhut?
View attachment 12704
SE Reapers
View attachment 12705
7-pot 2nd generation in the wild like the rest(I don't iso except the overwinters.)\
View attachment 12703
siling labuyo
View attachment 12710

randyp said:
This will hopefully be moving along with the rest of the pods,they are huge.The choco's are not turning yet.But when they do will get some pics up DL.
 What part of Iowa is your Family from?
The fam is in Davenport.
What an amazing grow you've got going. I think I've heard of a purple bhut. Looking for the picture now...

DL,  your family is in some pretty country along the Ole Miss,
 Time for me to make room for fresh pods,mixed up Choco bhut ferment with TS.scorp ferment that were both smoked before fermenting.In it are my usual suspects,pineapple,carrots,garlic,onion and ginger.Put in a little peach mango V8 to push it over the top.Cant figure out why my hands feel like they are sunburnt today. ;)
Some images may be blurry to protect the innocent..
View attachment 12768
View attachment 12769
View attachment 12770
2014-07-19 005.JPG

2014-07-20 001.JPG

Everything is looking great Randy!

Funny thing at my job, the guys don't come around for pod tasting anymore...

Thanks Trent,my pepper club went from 10 last week to 8.Split the 7-pot then quartered,remember these guys are greeeeen..Dumb me took the first piece and gave the 20 second chew and swallow routine.I still have 7 pieces around the plant to drop off.I am moving damn fast getting the guys their bite.I get to my last dropoff sweating bullets,gasping for air.Im trying to tell the last SOB "they are'nt that hot".He is not believing me but does his part anyway.The burnt coal in the back of the throat was the worst part.And we did not get that yummy fruity flavor I promised the guys.I cant make this crap up,one guy went home at lunch was going to get frisky with the MRS.did not do a good job washing the pepper from his hands and accidently made her a member of the Pepper club.Down below if you know what I mean.He gets back from lunch,she's pissed,he asked me what to do, and I told him to tell her to"Poor Milk On It"I had know idea what to tell him,we were all laughing so frikkin hard. :P  :lol:

tctenten said:
Haha that's great. I can only imagine the names your friends wife was calling him.
         Holy cow,I told him I was going to name a special Hot Sauce just for her.She earned it... ;)

Back