• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Sous Vide and Fiery Foods

I figured that I would just start a sous vide thread since I've been using the immersion circulator like crazy. It's no wonder that top chefs throughout the world are using this technique. The textures and flavors are that come out are amazing. Precision temperature cooking makes for predicable and repeatable results. It's great for infusing spices and herbs into foods as they're vacuum sealed inside.

If you're interested in trying it and don't want to buy any expensive equipment, all you need is a thermometer, a spare cooler and a ziplock freezer bag. This method works great for fish or tender cuts of beef. For fish heat the water to 125-130 degrees F and pour into the cooler. Place your fish in a ziplock bag and using the water immersion technique leave the top of the bag open while you submerge the fish so that the water pressure forces the air out of the bag. Once the air is out and you're nearing the top of the bag, close it up and clip it or tape it down to the side of the cooler and close the lid. For beef try water at 129 F (rare), 136 F(med rare), 140-150 F (medium to well). Sear in a very hot pan, or finish under a very hot broiler or grill.

Here's a few things I've done with it and I welcome anyone else's experiences, opinions, or ideas. 

Jamaican Jerk Turkey Breast with 'Rice and Peas' and Fried Plantains

7DtbvDp.jpg

Miso Tilefish with Baby Bok Choy and Shiitake Mushrooms

GVVfQKl.jpg

Ribeye with the Perfect Egg Yolk
vc0OVwi.jpg

XOc7aZb.jpg

I'll check it out, thanks. Technically, fahrenheit would be have more accurate temperatures especially since it goes in increments of .5, in celsius at least. My parents came home last night from north carolina and those burgers were reheated and tasted just as good as they were earlier that day

Two pic-less posts ... WTF!

Totally agree, the leftover's game is one of the salient aspects of the style ...

Also, BigB - short-rib burgers, right? ... the best.

BigB said:

they were far superior, and just as cheap as the regular chuck mix

Yup.

I've tried the best mixes around (lastly, the PLF Gold mix they created for Goldbely based on their famous burgers for a tavern in NYC/NJ area) ...

Mixes are not needed, it's all about short-rib patties.

600g Porterhouse. Hickory smoke bath for 30 minutes
P7242531_zpspgthiwqt.jpg

Cocktail chat potatoes with sea salt, fresh cracked black pepper, garlic powder and butter. 
80 C for 90 minutes
P7252540_zpsjjp4kzw2.jpg

Steak was 54 C for 3 hours.  (I forgot it for a while lol)  and finished 1 minute per side on a VERY hot cast iron flat grill. 
Vine ripened baby romas.  Hab sauce in the background.

P7252541_zpswf6rvjo5.jpg

Looks medium but is def med rare.  I would probably go 50-52 for this cut next time.  Gonna try mesquite for the smoke next time.  Nice crust and smoke taste.

P7252545_zpscgh7uwlg.jpg

still waiting for it to set completely, another hour in the fridge. My girlfriend and I drink cashew milk and not cows milk so i think there might have been an issue because I used that. There's the custard on top and a layer of some clear liquid on the bottom lol

BigB said:
still waiting for it to set completely, another hour in the fridge. My girlfriend and I drink cashew milk and not cows milk so i think there might have been an issue because I used that. There's the custard on top and a layer of some clear liquid on the bottom lol

I have to imagine they have little in common, lol ...

Duck breast is fantastic cooked sous vide! I usually buy whole long island Pekin ducks and butcher them to make two meals. I like the breasts cooked medium and usually make duck confit with the legs and thighs. The good thing about sous vide is that you don't need to pack the confit in a lot of fat since its vacuum sealed inside so the excess skin from a single duck will render enough fat to use. The carcass also makes a great stock to reduce and serve with the confit. I think juniper berries really clear up the flavor of duck.   

Back