• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Sous Vide and Fiery Foods

I figured that I would just start a sous vide thread since I've been using the immersion circulator like crazy. It's no wonder that top chefs throughout the world are using this technique. The textures and flavors are that come out are amazing. Precision temperature cooking makes for predicable and repeatable results. It's great for infusing spices and herbs into foods as they're vacuum sealed inside.

If you're interested in trying it and don't want to buy any expensive equipment, all you need is a thermometer, a spare cooler and a ziplock freezer bag. This method works great for fish or tender cuts of beef. For fish heat the water to 125-130 degrees F and pour into the cooler. Place your fish in a ziplock bag and using the water immersion technique leave the top of the bag open while you submerge the fish so that the water pressure forces the air out of the bag. Once the air is out and you're nearing the top of the bag, close it up and clip it or tape it down to the side of the cooler and close the lid. For beef try water at 129 F (rare), 136 F(med rare), 140-150 F (medium to well). Sear in a very hot pan, or finish under a very hot broiler or grill.

Here's a few things I've done with it and I welcome anyone else's experiences, opinions, or ideas. 

Jamaican Jerk Turkey Breast with 'Rice and Peas' and Fried Plantains

7DtbvDp.jpg

Miso Tilefish with Baby Bok Choy and Shiitake Mushrooms

GVVfQKl.jpg

Ribeye with the Perfect Egg Yolk
vc0OVwi.jpg

XOc7aZb.jpg

Finally got the Anova.

Set to 63 C in a 7L water bath.  Eggs first.

Toasted up some round cut Rye

P7292549_zpsch45z7e0.jpg

Butter, fresh picked sage and finely sliced dried birds eye chilli.  That gets cooked until the butter turns brown and the sage is crispy.

P7292550_zpsarvohza1.jpg

Boiled for 1 and half minutes (to set up the white more for my tastes) then into cold water for 5 minutes then 1 hour at 63C.  Held its shape well.

P7292551_zps5rh7oh39.jpg

Yolks were...hmmmm....buttery, fudgey and lost for descriptors.  I prefer mine more runny, almost just warmed through.
1 hour was too long.  Next go will be 62 for the recommended 45 minutes or slightly less and 1 minute in boiling water followed by an ice bath.
P7292552_zpsbplqabh4.jpg

Drizzled with the beurre noisette with sage and chilli and fresh ground sea salt

P7292553_zpsqkm05goh.jpg

SV chicken for curry ... there's probably 100x posts of mine in actuality in '12 & '13 making variations on that theme.

In the end I learned to season the chicken really well for the SV, and added it to the curry after flame-out, like you would do for shrimp ...

That keeps it from turning to mush.

CHEERS!

BigB said:
there's callaloo and eggplant in there too with aji pineapple and brazilian starfish. heat wasn't enough so i added some powpow. 

Green curry I get usually has eggplant and I thought that leaf was some of the Thai basil but looking again nope... nice!!! 

I just got a 2nd refund from ChefSteps in the last few weeks as they opened up the BBQ class publicly and announced that Meathead's at ChefSteps today, which means there's going to be a meeting of my favorite minds on meat in terms of sous vide etc ... AmazingRibs and ChefSteps in one room, fuck yes!

Eggs round two.

Butter, garlic, sea salt and fresh ground black pepper. 
P7302562_zpsoe9qlf7t.jpg

Rye triangles soaked and then browned in the above mix.  Damn tasty by themselves.  Half of them didn't make it to the plate.  Some were missing before I even took the pic lol.

P7302563_zpsgs9mlvdr.jpg

Whites were too runny for my tastes.  Yolk was perfect.  I have one egg left that I'm going to simmer at 80C for 1 minute.  See how that goes...
Plated with the garlic toast and 1 Aji Limon.

P7302565_zpsjnssmuym.jpg

Happy with the yolk!  Maybe 62.5C for 40 minutes will be spot on.

P7302566_zpsxxhgcz5f.jpg

Garnished with fresh grated parmesan and fresh picked torn parsley

P7302569_zpsadctpxtp.jpg

Round 2.1

Last egg in an 80C bath for one minute.  Oddly this made the outer layer of white stick to the shell.  Not sure what the chem behind that is.

White is ...almost...there.  1.30 seconds next time and I'm sure it's perfect for me.
P7302570_zpssxqqeq2g.jpg

Yolk is perfect.

P7302571_zpsuasclsyt.jpg

Back to the rye round and cooked the same way.  They suit eggs much better presentation wise.  Plated up with shaved parmesan, fresh torn parsley, sea salt and fresh ground black pepper.  ( I always use a mortar and pestle to get the right grind for salt and pepper)

P7302572_zps53swchxa.jpg

Next egg cook I'm sure I'll have it nailed.  I'm gonna try the above temps and time as an experiment as well GM, Cheers!

Nope.  I think by then it's too late for whatever chemical reaction has taken place between the albumen and the shell.  There is at this point no scientific understanding of how to stop the very outer layer of white sticking to the shell.

Some go pre boil, ice bath, sous vide.  Some go sous vide, boil, ice bath.

Somewhere in the temperature gradient there is a bonding relationship happening.  Unfortunately it's right in the zone where 'perfect' eggs are cooked.  Under cook and it doesn't happen.  Over cook and the bugger slips right on out. Frustrating until someone comes up with a silicone mould for sous vide eggs... :think:

here's the trick: take a cup, take some saran wrap and make a well and coat with some sort of fat. crack the egg and put the egg in there then twist the saran wrap and tie with twine. that's how i normally poach eggs

It might come down to pre-warming or pre-chilling the eggs ...

Working w/ room temp versus fridge versus blast chilled if you will, or whatever ...

We got this.

Back