• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Spicegeist 2014 - The Year of the Bhut

This year I'm growing primarily bhut/naga types.

Not much to look at now, but thought I'd kick things off since I'm already starting seeds:

Here's my list:
  1. Red Bhut
  2. Choco Bhut
  3. Yellow Bhut
  4. Peach Bhut
  5. Shabu Jolokia
  6. Naga King
  7. Naga Morich
  8. Naga Suomi
  9. Dorset Naga
  10. Guwahati Bhut
  11. Pale Bhut / Bih Jolokia
  12. Jay's Peach
  13. Fatalii
  14. Lota Bih
  15. C. galapagoense

Devv said:
Really like the C. galapagoense! So Pube like.

I read they are hard to grow, so good job! A really beautiful plant.

Someone on here said that if you use seed that's more than one season old, they get difficult to germinate, I don't know... but it's a good excuse to grow one every year, right?

maximumcapsicum said:
What are the pods from the galapagoense like?

Radcliff is rocking Charles!

haha, Radcliff, no one is going to have any idea what you're talking about if you keep that up ;)

If you're into wilds, the pods are awesome, they're tiny and filled with seed, but a very unique and hot flavor.

stc3248 said:
Your Gala's got me excited...had a third one sprout but they're growing so slow! Now I just need to come over here to see a FFWD version! Great color on those pics, nicely done!

I had a really strong plant last year, I shared a bunch of seed from that and a few people on here are growing those out.  My little plants are also grown from seed right off that robust plant... so unless squirrels raid my plants or some other disaster occurs, I'll grow these out and share seed of this line again this year.  I'll send you some if yours don't perk up.

Outside right now it's 63°F/ 17°C, not very sunny, but warm and slightly windy, so that ought to help toughen up the lineup:
12883041144_ba0b5716dd_b.jpg

Notice the galapa towards the top left...

Ok, don't give me too much credit, I just use an outdated smartphone with a camera...

I've grown other galapas in the past that stayed very small and never really seemed to thrive.  It could be growing conditions, but my theory is that as a wild plant it has more genetic diversity, so some do well in containers, and in these specific growing conditions, while others would prefer to be on a volcanic island somewhere with some other type of soil...

Spicegeist said:

Someone on here said that if you use seed that's more than one season old, they get difficult to germinate, I don't know... but it's a good excuse to grow one every year, right?

haha, Radcliff, no one is going to have any idea what you're talking about if you keep that up ;)

If you're into wilds, the pods are awesome, they're tiny and filled with seed, but a very unique and hot flavor.

I had a really strong plant last year, I shared a bunch of seed from that and a few people on here are growing those out.  My little plants are also grown from seed right off that robust plant... so unless squirrels raid my plants or some other disaster occurs, I'll grow these out and share seed of this line again this year.  I'll send you some if yours don't perk up.

Outside right now it's 63°F/ 17°C, not very sunny, but warm and slightly windy, so that ought to help toughen up the lineup:
12883041144_ba0b5716dd_b.jpg

Notice the galapa towards the top left...
one word....PERFECT.... :fireball: :fireball: :fireball:

I decided to pot up a couple plants I wasn't originally planning on keeping.

An extra Shabu Jolokia:
12907468914_ce629a8d37_b.jpg

An extra Peach Bhut:
12907080855_7e99418c39_b.jpg

One of my favorite plants so far is the Dorset Naga, it's growing very sturdy and healthy:
12907147543_40e2b5452d_b.jpg

It's the only C. chinense I'm growing at the moment that has slightly pubescent leaves:
12907191233_a258cebb45_b.jpg

12907135155_479b4d9895_b.jpg

Has anyone else here grown the Dorset Naga and seen this too?

I noticed that on some of my super hot plants this year they have that fuzzy stuff going on too
Remind me this week and I'll take some pics of mine to compare

Back