• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Spicy Chickens Barn Conversion. Extreme Makeover Farm Edition.

Well that was quick. ;-) [SIZE=18pt][/SIZE]

Couple things to start, as many of you know I'm not a real social butterfly but certainly not a hermit! That being said; if you post you will get a (like) letting you know that I read your comment and --- well liked it. If you have a question or suggestion then I will do my best to reply ASAP[SIZE=18pt][/SIZE]

Second; is that my wife works 3rd shift so my work schedule revolves around Her sleep time. lol I'm up and working all night, the most inactive time for me is between 11am and 5pm. Man its hard to get used to that!![SIZE=18pt][/SIZE]

Ok, [SIZE=18pt][/SIZE]

First off let me set the stage a little. The barn itself is 35 feet wide and 78 feet long, built back in the 50's, it has one foot thick concrete walls filled with field stone, setting on a 24 inch wide by 32 inch deep foundation. At first I thought the stone would make it weak but I knocked down 12 feet of wall and I'm here to tell you it is paramount. One end 12 foot long and the width of the barn it has no ceiling and open to the haymow with doors on both end were the wagon loads of loose hay were brought in and a pullied hay grapple would come down; grab a chunk, pulled up and trollied [SIZE=18.18181800842285px]into[/SIZE] the mow and dumped.[SIZE=18pt][/SIZE]

The haymow and roof are post and beam construction with 7 foot sidewalls and 12/12 pitch roof covered in corrugated tin.[SIZE=18pt][/SIZE]

In the barn there are 4 different heights of concrete, the lowest is the walkway down the center, 4 inches above that are the stations; this is where the cows stood for milking, than just in front of that is the manger where the cows were [SIZE=18.18181800842285px]fed[/SIZE] and higher is the [SIZE=18.18181800842285px]walkway[/SIZE] in front of the manger and closest to the exterior walls.[SIZE=18pt][/SIZE]

What I will be working on first is the calf pens, this concrete was the highest of all and the entire floor needed to be removed.

A few [SIZE=18.18181800842285px]tunes[/SIZE] while we removed the pen boards. ;-)

Pantry_001a.jpg

Undermining the the concrete and some sledge hammer work.

Pantry_001b.jpg

loading up one trailer load at a time and hauling to the swamp.

Pantry_001c.jpg

Since we had to remove all of the calf pen concrete, pads had to be poured to support the floor.

Pantry_002.jpg

Will post more later after my nap. lol 

Thanks for all the replies and stopping by! Cheers - Jeff

[SIZE=18pt][/SIZE]

Just a few shots of the inside of the barn in raw form before any inkling that one day we would live in here. 

The original plan was to renovate the old farm house but 800 square feet and with five people made it seem extremely small.

This is to show you what we had to work with  :crazy: 

Pantry_001d.jpg

Pantry_001e.jpg

Pantry_001f.jpg

Pantry_001g.jpg

This is the open area to the haymow which will eventually be our living room.

Pantry_001h.jpg

More to come, thanks for stopping by, Cheers - Jeff

sicman said:
awesome your place keeps suprising me.  so was your property a old dairy farm?  this is going to be such a huge and awesome project. you make me feel so lazy.

[SIZE=11.5pt]Papa Sic ...  Yes it was an old dairy farm and very successful at that. Everything the old man built was made from concrete with tin roofs.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=11.5pt]There are two very interesting stories that happened here just after we bought the place, one has to do with buried treasure and the other dynamite, if anyone would like the hear about them let me know. ;-)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=11.5pt]I actually started this walk in pantry just a couple of weeks ago, but it won't take long before the pics will be live and fresh, [/SIZE]
[SIZE=11.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=11.5pt]These pics were taken about a week ago.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=11.5pt]The exterior walls have been up for some time now with insulation and clear plastic, about a week and half ago I built the remaining 2 interior wall to the pantry and wired it. Once again as I always do; covered the wall with 1/2 inch osb for the simple reason that I can fasten anything anywhere without looking for studs or having to use toggle bolt etc. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=11.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=11.5pt]An auction buy will provide some cabinets for the pantry, cosmetically not real bad, but structurally they are crap. Much rebuilding will need to be done to bring them up to standards, I feel sorry for the customers that purchased cabinets from this company. ;-([/SIZE]
[SIZE=11.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=11.5pt]2 walls will be covered entirely in cabinets, so I left them un-drywall-ed but still gave em a quick skim coat of mud. The ceiling and 2 remaining wall were drywall-ed and skip troweled and painted.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11.5pt][/SIZE]

Pantry_003.jpg

Pantry_004.jpg

Pantry_005.jpg

Here is a upper corner cabinet being altered by removing the appliance garage that sat on top the counter, the ceiling is not high enough to allow for this feature.

Pantry_006.jpg

Thant is all for now, Thanks for stopping by! Cheers - Jeff

millworkman said:
Always seriously impressed with your work Jeff. Can't wait to see more!

OK, since I have to wait for some glue to dry. Here are a few more pics. ;-)

Pantry_007.jpg

Pantry_008.jpg

Pantry_009.jpg

Pantry_010.jpg

Pantry_011.jpg

Pantry_012.jpg

Spent 6 hours today wet sanding the counter, must say she is nice and smooth with nera scratch in er. Also shrunk one of the lower cabinets to fit on the very right. 

Thanks for looking! Cheers - Jeff

Trickster said:
Jeff, all I can say is awesome. How many coats of paint on that OSB can you see the texture through it? 

Thanks Trickster, there is only one coat of paint and over the skim coat of drywall mud but I would not recommend this as a finished surface. We are covering all of the osb back splash in tile, and yes you can see the texture through it but a couple more skim coats of mud and you wouldn't know its osb. 

Cheers - Jeff
JoynersHotPeppers said:
Right up my alley as an architect. I can appreciate a more shallow toe kick, who wants that special meal growing 6 inches in and in darkness. :) Awesome job Jeff!

Thanks Chris, lol there could be a half a sandwich in hiding in there. When everything is said and done the shoe molding will be last. Omy.... lots and lots of small pieces; hope I have all my fingers when I'm finished.  :shocked: 

Back