• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Spicy Chickens Barn Conversion. Extreme Makeover Farm Edition.

I will try to keep this short. ;o) I have never metal detected in my life but always wanted to, so my wife and I ordered 2 at gold’s and hoping the FedEX man would deliver today.

So here is the deal. About ten years ago I bought this old Farmstead, no one had lived here for more than 25 years before I bought it. the place has 13 structures including a house, barn, tractor shed, horse barn, pig shed ect. Completely over run with tall grass and newer trees and 27 pieces of old machinery, most half buried from years of mother nature, horse collars were still hanging on the wall. The house was ransacked over the years by kids no doubt but all of the belonging were still there, the old folks had died and their kids didn't want anything I guess.

Anywho, shortly after purchase my son and I started to clean the place up, every day was a treasure hunt finding all kinds of relics. One day as we were working a car pulled in the yard and 2 older gentleman approached us with metal detectors, come to find out they were the son's of the previous owners, grew up on the property and asked if they could meta detect in hopes of finding their fathers stashes of silver and said they would split any finds 50/50. As intriguing as this proposition was; I denied their request. through some research we found that more than 25 years of silver savings had been buried somewhere on this property. ( sound intriguing?)

We have cleaned this place up quite a bite in the 10 years since that day and now that my wife and I are getting up in age a little we thought detecting would be a great hobby starting with our own back yard. I have always heard that the old timers that did not trust the banks would hide their stashes by some old tree or fence post etc. There is still a foot of snow on the ground here but soon the birds will be laying eggs so we have been watching all the vids and doing as much research as possible.

We know there will be a massive amount of iron buried here and I can only imagine if there are stashes of silver here what they may be contained in, old jars, tin boxes, cloth or leather wrappings, ?
I have no Idea where to start looking, all of the old fence lines were most likely ripped down by the farmers who continued to cultivate the land after the abandonment, older trees may have died and are now gone.
No photos are available of that time period but we took several hundred in the first few weeks of purchase and clean up.

The above statement was copied and pasted from a metal detecting forum I frequent and is almost to the day one year old but the story has not changed just that we did get to use our metal detectors last summer and found hundreds of items; including a complete antique corn planter, axel, pocket watch, shovels, many pieces of god knows what. Still we search for the silver. many places are still inaccessible large items we moved around and now need to be removed to search. We literally filled 2 - 55 gal drums of junk.

Our Garrett AT Gold Metal Detectors, gotta love the background! ;-)

Finds-004.jpg

Here are some average junk finds.

Finds-001.jpg

Some of the better finds.

Finds-005.jpg

Finds-006.jpg

Finds-007.jpg

Finds-008.jpg

With the amount of money the kids said their dad buried, we are looking for a vault or more than a hundred quart mason jars full. Not holding my breath!! lol

I could fill an entire new thread just with pics and vids of our hunts from last year, hopefully this summer we will have more time to search and even if we never find anything of significant value it sure is a lot of fun.

The dynamite story yet to come. ;-) right now I need to get back to work before my wife beats the hell outa me. 

Thanks for stopping by! Cheers - Jeff

awesome story spicy. me and the wife have ben talking about doing the same thing on our property.we just never get around to it. so you would recomened the garret AT gold?

Yet another Epic construction thread from Spicy Jeff. Way to go and sorry about being late to the party, I've been off for the better part of a few days. Won't let that happen again. 

So, may I ask what the purpose of the barn remodel is? We here in pepper land can only hope that you have reconsidered not growing peppers any more and instead are wanting to expand.  :dance:  :dance:

sicman said:
awesome story spicy. me and the wife have ben talking about doing the same thing on our property.we just never get around to it. so you would recomened the garret AT gold?

I would recommend it highly, but the AT Pro is just as affective and a little cheaper plus the Pro is recommended for saltwater. You can submerge the entire detector underwater to 10 feet, you just need special headphones. A pinpointer is a must, digging the treasure is the easy part; finding it is much harder without a Garrett pointer.

1 machine is nice, 2 is better,;-) always nice to hunt with someone. Watch lots of vids on detecting especially those that have to do with whatever detector you choose. Garrett has many how to and instructional vids as well. Most YT vids will show highlights, plan on digging a lot of junk to get to the good stuff. It will take hundreds of targets to learn you machine so be patient, I kept a pad and pencil to mark down what the readings were and then the target so eventually I could tell ruffly good from bad but the detectors have a discrimination mode so if you want to look for just silver you can do that.

Metal detecting is a lot like growing peppers, sometimes you just never know what you are going to get. :-) This is a hobby similar to golf where you can get lost in the thought of your next shot or in this case you next target, very relaxing.

Wish you the best of luck and if you decide to get one or two - Pm me.

Cheers - Jeff
Jeff H said:
Yet another Epic construction thread from Spicy Jeff. Way to go and sorry about being late to the party, I've been off for the better part of a few days. Won't let that happen again. 

So, may I ask what the purpose of the barn remodel is? We here in pepper land can only hope that you have reconsidered not growing peppers any more and instead are wanting to expand.  :dance:  :dance:

Jeff- How you doing? I was wondering when you were going to show up. ;-) The barn is what we live in and have for about 11 years, its more of a conversion. Our kids were raised in the barn for half their lives, so when someone asks them " what hell is the matter with you, were you raised in a barn?" they say yup. lol 

Originally we planned on having this completed by now, but ended up giving up our life savings to help save our daughter life, so here we are plugging away it as we can afford it.

The good news is my wife accepted a job that will tie us down here at home for another year or so, we will be growing a few plants this year but only as a hobby, not really worth starting a grow log for.

Thanks for tagging along! Cheers - Jeff

thanks for the info jeff. when we take the plunge i will surely hit you up for pointers. my property was a old frog farm,that two brother in laws bought after hitting a bunch of gold in alaska 100 years ago.  im convinced them ol timers buried some of it on the property ;)  or atleast im hoping they did.

the crap we find that just seeps up after rains is amazing and never ending so the wife and i think detect would be a great hobby.   

nice to have a wood stove keeping you warm as you work. 

awesome thread - having fun following it. :cheers: 

Thanks again for the great product - Mike McD was spot on - those spicy peanuts of yours are *amazing*!! 
:woohoo: 

Lucky Dog Hot Sauce said:
nice to have a wood stove keeping you warm as you work. 

awesome thread - having fun following it. :cheers:

Thanks again for the great product - Mike McD was spot on - those spicy peanuts of yours are *amazing*!! 
:woohoo:

Hi Scott, Thanks for taking a peek, the stove is nice, especially today. Temps about 20 and the snow is coming down about and inch and hour, plow truck will be here in the morning. ;-)

Sorry I couldn't fill your request, plants are  unrepeatable, I hope you found what you were looking for! Thanks again for the order and glad you liked the snacks, The super hot dry roasted are way to hot for me, I can only eat like 2 at a time lol.

Best of luck to you and here is to another great year. :cheers:  

Cheers - Jeff

I've been cooking with those powders too - they're great. 

No worries on the qtys - it is what it is. 

Any ETA on the cashews? Please do feel free to ping me when those are available - I love to support the cause, and I'm a fiend for cashews! 
:cheers: 

Greetings.

Well last nights project consisted of rebuilding the upper cabinet, unfortunately a whole new box had to be constructed and I just used the face frame stock.

Here you can see where it goes.

Pantry_026.jpg

Box is in place and now ready for crown molding, shelves and a door.

Pantry_027.jpg

Need to cut this door down from 19 inches to 15 inches.

Pantry_028.jpg

First I rough cut the door rails top and bottom to get the door apart.

Pantry_029.jpg

Then ripped one edge of the raised panel right on the point of it's taper and ripped another 4 inches out of the remaining door.

Pantry_030.jpg

Glued and clamped the 2 pieces back together, they fit very nicely.

Pantry_031.jpg

Now for the face frame 45's

Pantry_032.jpg

45's cut, panel slid into place and glued back together.

Pantry_033.jpg

Shelves and crown molding done.

Pantry_034.jpg

Door fits nicely, you would never know it was cut down. :dance: 

Pantry_035.jpg

Bump Please.  ;)

anigif.gif

One of the most cluttered and dirty spots for me anyways always seems to be under the sink. Plus a lot of wasted space.

Pantry_037.jpg

With some prudent planning we were able to add 4 drawers to this one. 

Pantry_038.jpg

The bottom drawers will be 12 [SIZE=18.18181800842285px]inches[/SIZE] tall and be attached to the doors, the upper 2 drawers will be inset with a hand notch-out and can be pulled out separately once the bottom drawer is open. The top drawers will be a great place for dish towels and [SIZE=18.18181800842285px]dishcloths[/SIZE] and the bottom will hold plastic tubs for dish soap and cleaners.

Pantry_039.jpg

A nice fit to the sink.

Pantry_040.jpg

There will still be plenty of room above the drawers to run water lines.

Pantry_041.jpg

Once again thanks for stopping by and hope someone can take away from this. :dance: 

Cheers - Jeff

Back