• We welcome content that is not political, divisive, or offensive. If we feel your content leans this way or has the potential to, it may be removed at any time. A hot pepper forum is not the place for such content. Thank you for respecting the community!

Spicy Chickens Barn Conversion. Extreme Makeover Farm Edition.

Jeff H said:
Looking ood Jeff.

Those prints are a bit busy for my tastes, but if I was going to do one, I would lean towards 11 or 18 because they don't have any noticible green in them. You don't have any green in the rest of the room to tie it to.

Bahahaha, you think you could find some pics of things photographed from straight on, not! lol Ok that looks like s##t but good for a laugh.  :rofl: 

Pantry_051.jpg

Well the wife just woke up so and showed her the idea and then mentioned that we could but a Tv/monitor back there and she could watch her cooking shows and display her recipes while she cooks something.

Crap should've just bought a mural, would have been cheaper! me and my big mouth. This should be interesting with protective glass and all.  :tear: 

Actually like the idea of the monitor there but instead of Glass I think I'd use Lexan. Could even cut/drill vent holes and build a box like cover so that spatters and all don't hit it.

Lexan is what we used for the table cover and it cuts nicely with a Plywood blade.

RocketMan said:
Actually like the idea of the monitor there but instead of Glass I think I'd use Lexan. Could even cut/drill vent holes and build a box like cover so that spatters and all don't hit it.

Lexan is what we used for the table cover and it cuts nicely with a Plywood blade.

Do you know if it come in non-reflective?

I don't know but if it doesn't I bet there are films or sprays that you can use to make them so. You could also use Plexiglas and it does come in non-reflective forms.

RocketMan said:
I don't know but if it doesn't I bet there are films or sprays that you can use to make them so. You could also use Plexiglas and it does come in non-reflective forms.

It does. http://www.roberthorne.co.uk/products/lexan-polycarbonate-sg305/

Good one, now just have to try and find someone local or will have to order it. ventilation will not be a problem. there is a 2 inch space between the wall and the concrete and extends the length of the barn, the concrete get so cold that even in mid summer the temps in the barn never reach 65, its like a built in air conditioner which is nice on those 80 -90 days. 

Jeff H said:
Looking ood Jeff.

Those prints are a bit busy for my tastes, but if I was going to do one, I would lean towards 11 or 18 because they don't have any noticible green in them. You don't have any green in the rest of the room to tie it to.
I like 11 too, and just like Jeff said, something with a green tone in it would be beautiful, a green glass tile or a sub way tile, that would be so pretty.

update.
anigif.gif

Did manage to get a few upper drawers built for the lower cabinets, but didn't have enough plywood for the lowers and had to order one sheet.

Baltic birch plywood is my friend, I love the stuff for making drawers that are not dovetailed and made from maple. but with the temps being what they are I was not about to cut, plane, and dovetail maple drawers; brrr -35 last night. Baltic birch has 11 ply's not including the skin and extremely stable as some of you may know. 

I didn't even bother to rabbet out the sides for the front and back, thought that would make it not as strong till I realized after a couple hours.... building the first box  I forgot to subtract for the 2 sides and ended up an inch too big (stupid) after removing the screws the only thing holding it together was 2 pin nails and glue; its now in the trash. O I did manage to cut a new front and back out of the sides. 

Anywho, just gettin er done. :rolleyes: 

A little dirty from sitting around but cleaned up nicely, I [SIZE=18.18181800842285px]prefer the air sanders but without the downdraft sanding table the dust would have been nasty.[/SIZE] 

Pantry_052.jpg

The nice thing about this plywood is you can drive a screw in within a half inch of the edge and it won't split. Nice!!

Pantry_053.jpg

Pantry_054.jpg

Filled the screw holes, sanded and sprayed the first coat of poly on before the bottoms are applied, the tape on the plywood is so the wood [SIZE=18.18181800842285px]underneath[/SIZE] will stay raw for glue. I am not a fan of rabbeting out the drawer and [SIZE=18.18181800842285px]sliding[/SIZE] the panel in from the back, its nice if you ever have to replace the bottom but if we need to I will just cut a 1/4 inch liner and drop it in. I like them glued and stapled about every 2 inches; drawer guilds cover up the visible sides and the drawer face the front side.

Pantry_055.jpg

Pantry_056.jpg

Sprayed and drying. :dance: 

Pantry_057.jpg

Ready for hardware, faces and install.

Thanks for stopping by! Cheers - Jeff

Spicy Chicken said:

It does. http://www.roberthorne.co.uk/products/lexan-polycarbonate-sg305/

Good one, now just have to try and find someone local or will have to order it. ventilation will not be a problem. there is a 2 inch space between the wall and the concrete and extends the length of the barn, the concrete get so cold that even in mid summer the temps in the barn never reach 65, its like a built in air conditioner which is nice on those 80 -90 days. 

Sweet, your in like Flynn, then

:rofl:  will answer your Q's in a little while. ;-)

anigif.gif

Went shopping today and bought some tile, limited funds and all but picked out some nice tile I think.

Preliminary test shot, lots of edge sanding to do. there will be accent squares every so often.

Pantry_060.jpg

My son is here helping today so I can't spend much time here, or he will quiton me. lol

Pantry_061.jpg

Gotta go. ;-) Cheers Jeff

Like the tile! Been worrying a bit about the Lexan...don't know if it will stain or melt with grease splatter??? The stuff is used in bullet proof glass, but it's kind of soft and only useful as a bullet screen when laminated with real glass. I am wondering if a piece of maybe 1/4" thick tempered might be a better choice???

update:

anigif.gif

Think we purchased to much,  :rolleyes:  better than to less I guess.  ;) 

Pantry_062.jpg

208 tiles cut and ready for edge sanding. :dance: 
Pantry_063.jpg

Cutting the 45's.  :P 

Pantry_064.jpg

Pretty uniform, really happy with this wet saw! :party: 

Pantry_065.jpg

Laying things out.  :shh: 

Pantry_066.jpg

Jig for cutting out the notch to except the accent squares.  :rolleyes: 

Pantry_067.jpg

Think it should look good on the wall. :party:  

Pantry_068.jpg

Should start the installation today.

Thanks for stopping by: Cheers - Jeff

stc3248 said:
Ohhh...now its time to pull out the big-a$$ router bits for some drawer faces! Or do you have a big fancy shaper?

Do have a shaper, fancy .....not, piece of s##t really, but the drawers do not get faces, the original door will be fastened to the big bottom drawer so the upper drawers will pull out after its opened. I don't have this exact shaper profile any way and doubt I could match the stain and finish exactly, or I would prefer drawer faces. O well. 

sicman said:
does the dynamite story end like this?

Dino-Shark-Machine-Gun-Dynamite.jpeg

You have way to much time on you hands. lol ..............this is how it started :rofl:

stc3248 said:
Like the tile! Been worrying a bit about the Lexan...don't know if it will stain or melt with grease splatter??? The stuff is used in bullet proof glass, but it's kind of soft and only useful as a bullet screen when laminated with real glass. I am wondering if a piece of maybe 1/4" thick tempered might be a better choice???

I will do some more research on all the options, just might be that I will have to go with glass.  

Thanks everyone for the replies!! Cheers - Jeff

Back