• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Spicy Chickens Barn Conversion. Extreme Makeover Farm Edition.

update.
anigif.gif

Not a whole lot to post as visual progress, been working on electrical and other miscellaneous things.

Here decided to add another 3 can lights. plus dimmer switch for all, looks [SIZE=18.18181800842285px]really[/SIZE] neat on low light.

Pantry_044.jpg

Managed to get the under cabinet light in as well, gosh what a hassle, they never make the cords long enough.

Pantry_046.jpg

My wife picked out some backsplash tile today, we only purchased one square just to see what it might look like, we may use it as a whole or in combination with other tile. 

What do you think of it, you will not hurt my feelings I'm on the fence about it. lol

Pantry_048.jpg

Pantry_047.jpg

And Lastly, What else is there to do when the high temp for the day is like really cold but to go SHOPPING  :dance:  New Toys  :dance: 
Pantry_045.jpg

Will be making some of those lower drawers tonight, maybe tomorrow. Just trying to get er done. :rolleyes: 

Thanks for stopping by! Cheers - Jeff

i dont like the back splash. but i can see why your wife does,my wife would also like it.  i seen one of the best back splashes the other day. one of my wifes friends has pennies for one. its all coated and what not. very cool. im rich so i was thinking of doing one with nickles :rofl:

It is a little dark but with the under cabinet lights that might not be an issue. That tile also looks like it has a lot of the tile color in it or the picture makes it look like it does. Yeah, something contrasting an a bit lighter might do it. I tend more towards like what bb81 posted.

LUCKYDOG said:
how are those tile to clean BB81? I tend to get splashy sometimes especially with sauce or grease
not too bad from my experiance, but I only have 1 tile high as a backsplash in my kitchen. There actually not a porus as they look, the sanded grout is more porus than the tile.  If one was concerned about it they could use a sealer on the tile.

sicman said:
i don't like the backsplash. but i can see why your wife does,my wife would also like it.  i seen one of the best backsplashes the other day. one of my wifes friends has pennies for one. its all coated and what not. very cool. im rich so i was thinking of doing one with nickels :rofl:

LUCKYDOG said:
I think the backsplash is too dark  and would close the area up - subway tile or the multicolor glass would look good IMO

beerbreath81 said:
Not a fan of the glass tile by itself but think it might work as a border with some tumbled travertine tile???

I started this reply almost 40 hours ago and ended up with a debilitating migraine headache for more that 35 hours, dark room vomit bucket the works. OMG anywho....  

The wife thought since the floor, counter tops, and ceiling was light that the backsplash would be ok darker.

I agree with all of you.

Here is what it would look like in full but the counter top is dark so not a good representation but an idea. I don't like it.  :rolleyes:

Robinson_Splash_Stove.jpg

Sicman, the penny splashes, floors,  countertops, and walls are really neat, we have a table done like this, and the wife and I seriously discussed this on the way back from shopping yesterday, we plan on having some in the kitchen area, actually look forward to that project. I think if I remember right it takes like 288 pennies per square foot so cheaper than decent tile. Nickels being bigger would take maybe 200 equaling $10 a square foot which is still cheaper than  some of the tile we seen yesterday. I suppose if I had your money for sure would do that.  :rofl:

Scott, agreed; the room is small only 10x10 the last thing we want to do is close it in with dark colors, My son is doing a tile job right now and said that the Buy Rite Store has some really great deals on tile and we should go look, bottom line is what we can afford. ;-)

BB81 nice pic and for sure something more in the line of what I had in mind, last couple weeks we have been on google images in the backsplash department, thousands of choices it's hard to choose one, 

tile-backsplash-durango-glass-tile.jpg

Doubt we will be able to have anything as nice as some of these but nice to dream anyway, I know its only a pantry but will have to look at it for a long time hopefully.

Thanks for the inputs!! Cheers - Jeff

I have been in the trades for 25 years and specifically a Tile Contractor for the last 10.
If I may...
The most desired effect of tile on a backsplash is to show EVERYTHING off, the cabinets, counter top and the tile B-Splash. (Separately, but together). The best way to accomplish that is to create a separation with color/texture. The first picture you enlarged is the only one that barely accomplishes that but in every other example it does. Notice the three distinct colors/textures? The cream colored 1X1 inserts help immensely but it still drives the upper cabinet color right down to the countertop which in that specific situation works because all three components are dark. The bottom right picture has the biggest "BAM!" factor.

Another thing to keep in mind is, imagine sitting in a chair, and looking at your b-splash from a perfect 90° perspective. You have a 3" riser from your countertop it will look like a light colored stripe if dark tile is sitting on it. Nothing wrong with that at all, just something to think about. Just my 2¢.

Carry on your good work sir.

:cheers:

Scoville DeVille said:
I have been in the trades for 25 years and specifically a Tile Contractor for the last 10.
If I may...
The most desired effect of tile on a backsplash is to show EVERYTHING off, the cabinets, counter top and the tile B-Splash. (Separately, but together). The best way to accomplish that is to create a separation with color/texture. The first picture you enlarged is the only one that barely accomplishes that but in every other example it does. Notice the three distinct colors/textures? The cream colored 1X1 inserts help immensely but it still drives the upper cabinet color right down to the countertop which in that specific situation works because all three components are dark. The bottom right picture has the biggest "BAM!" factor.

Another thing to keep in mind is, imagine sitting in a chair, and looking at your b-splash from a perfect 90° perspective. You have a 3" riser from your countertop it will look like a light colored stripe if dark tile is sitting on it. Nothing wrong with that at all, just something to think about. Just my 2¢.

Carry on your good work sir.

:cheers:

Brilliant! sometimes its hard to see the trees through the forest unless someone points it out, I see the pattern now in the pics of what is being accomplished, correct me if I am wrong but in the BAM pic the tile mural is what actually tie's the things together along slightly with the accent strip. the darker points in the mural - sunflower centers, leaf shadows, and the slightly darker tones top and bottom sucks the cabinet and countertop color in while the grayish accent strip brings together the SS appliances but yet overall by itself is a statement. 

We can't afford a mural as much as I would like to have one, so will try and be creative with the area behind the stove, now that I look a little closer the color of the counter isn't ideal for the cabinet color but it is what came with it so guess we will work with it.

Thanks for posting, and you may anytime!! Cheers - Jeff

i totally agree with what  Jimbo said. The perfect back splash combines the colors of the cabinets and the counter-top into one cohesive object. I have been in tile sales for about  18 years and have designed hundreds of splashes. I am not a fan of gaudy glass splashes that take over the kitchen. The perfect splash will combine a natural  stone that has a medium amount of variation, and some glimmer with glass or metal  . For your splash I would go with a light tumbled marble and sprinkle in some dark glass or something of that nature to tie in the cabinets. 

This would be great in your kitchen 

[houzz=[URL="http://www.houzz.com/photos/87579/Gorgeous-Kitchen-Remodel-contemporary-kitchen-dc-metro%5D"]http://www.houzz.com/photos/87579/Gorgeous-Kitchen-Remodel-contemporary-kitchen-dc-metro][/URL]

romy6 said:
 i totally agree with what  Jimbo said. The perfect back splash combines the colors of the cabinets and the counter-top into one cohesive object. I have been in tile sales for about  18 years and have designed hundreds of splashes. I am not a fan of gaudy glass splashes that take over the kitchen. The perfect splash will combine a natural  stone that has a medium amount of variation, and some glimmer with glass or metal  . For your splash I would go with a light tumbled marble and sprinkle in some dark glass or something of that nature to tie in the cabinets. 

This would be great in your kitchen 

[houzz=[URL="http://www.houzz.com/photos/87579/Gorgeous-Kitchen-Remodel-contemporary-kitchen-dc-metro%5D"]http://www.houzz.com/photos/87579/Gorgeous-Kitchen-Remodel-contemporary-kitchen-dc-metro][/URL]

See what you mean, that kitchen looks awesome and I getting the picture now how things tie together. we have a piece of countertop and some extra cabinet doors, will take with when shopping for tile, hope we get this right, lol of course there is always a chisel and hammer,  :rolleyes:

Will wait on the grout till the tile is set and maybe get some more great opinions here on that color. 

Appreciate the reply buddy!! Appreciate everyones opinion!!

Cheers - Jeff

Spicy Chicken said:
Just screwing around with transparent background. Not quite the right tone but just checking for size and what not.

Pantry_050.jpg

Right tone? Really? Looks great!. I have so much respect for those who renovate these old barns, and turn them into gems. Kudos to you man. You took on a project that you and your kin will always be proud of. 

So I was sitting here bored out of my mind while my wife is sleeping and [SIZE=18.18181800842285px]can't[/SIZE] make any noise and surfing google for more tile ideas when I ran across this pic

stove_painting_031.jpg

Got me to thinking, since we [SIZE=18.18181800842285px]can't[/SIZE] really afford a tile mural which are 2-3 hundred for a nice one to fit the spot behind the stove I’m going to build a shadow box with some left over cabinet door stiles and rails. There is 5 inches of wall behind the stove which can be removed.

As some of you may know I mess around with turning pictures of peppers and other photos taken around the farm into oil painting, If you would to see some higher resolution pics follow the link in my status.

Anywho thinking LED strip light behind upper arched valance, non-reflective glass and matt finish enlargements. The shadow box will be easily removable to change out the pics. Enlargements cost about $15 each and get them done as we can afford it,

With some creative work and leaving a couple inches of tile all the way around this could look sharp, the ledge will allow us to set some S&P grinders or what not on and give it a nice 3D [SIZE=18.18181800842285px]effect[/SIZE].

Thoughts? Bad Idea? :rolleyes:  lol

Sample pics, we have hundreds to choose from.

Which one do you like best?  :shh: or none?  :tear: 

stove_painting_001-tile.jpg

stove_painting_002-tile.jpg

stove_painting_003a-tile.jpg

stove_painting_004-tile.jpg

stove_painting_005-tile.jpg

Thanks for any input! Cheers - Jeff

O ya, borders and writing can be removed. ;-)

Looking ood Jeff.

Those prints are a bit busy for my tastes, but if I was going to do one, I would lean towards 11 or 18 because they don't have any noticible green in them. You don't have any green in the rest of the room to tie it to.

Back