• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Spicy Chicken's MMXII Grow Log (The Hot Spot Pepper Shack)

Hello everyone!

Planting seeds is still a couple of weeks away yet but thought I would start out with an introduction and let you know a little bit about our place we call The Hot Spot or should I say what others call it, I call it a garden. ;)

Here is a little bit about our hobby farm and how we turned what once was an old abandon farm into our favorite place to be.

This is a family oriented hobby farm located in Northeastern Wisconsin. The farm is about elevan acres in size but we are utilizing only a small portion for the garden. Even though our growing time is short we use every day given to produce some of the best peppers in the state.

We have lived here since 2002 and our garden is just a smidge over 1/2 acre. As each year has passed the pepper garden has grown. Our garden for the year of 2010 had just over 1000 pepper seedlings planted, 2011 2000. Although no herbicides, pesticides, or chemical fertilizers are used, we are not organically certified and do not claim to be.

The compost that is integrated into the soil is procured from a large organic dairy farm a few miles from our home. The soil is sifted and mixed with the compost to create raised, plastic mulch covered beds, thus giving us the ability to control soil heat, moisture and weeds. As the plant grows, we denude the early buds, giving plants time to become strong and resilient.

After the first denuding, plants are then allowed to grow into a nice leafy foliage that produces great tasting peppers we are happy to be able to share with others.

From our family to yours, Thank you!

I am in the midst of building a grow room with a second story green house where this year I will be able to start the plants. Some of you may have seen the tread in Grow Tech category, might be interesting if you’re ever bored. http://www.thehotpepper.com/topic/23974-spicy-chickens-grow-room-and-greenhouse-makeover/f

Worked very hard at it last summer, my wife calls it The Pepper Shack.

A couple of before and after pics.

Greenhouse_Before_After_001.jpg

Greenhouse_Before_After_002.jpg

Greenhouse_Before_After_003.jpg
settings.gif

Greenhouse_Before_After_004.jpg

As you can see I have a long way to go, but at least I will be able to start the seeds in there, really looking forward to that.

More to come. thanks for looking! SC

Thanks every one!

My wife took some pics today but failed to write down or take a pic of the tag before the pics of the pods. O well I know what a few are. lol

Maybe a 7 pod Douglah idunno

001.JPG

idunno

002.JPG

Bhut Giants.

003.JPG

idunno

004.JPG

Chinese five color and Black pearls.

005.JPG

Brain Strains Maybe idunno

006.JPG

Chocolate Habs

007.JPG

Bhut Yellows

008.JPG

Haven't a clue

009.JPG

idunno

010.JPG

more to come, I need a bump, thanks

Thanks buddy, I think you live on here. lol

idunno

011.JPG

Fatalli

012.JPG

Bhut Chocolate.

013.JPG

7 pod whites and they are huge, twice the size of a golf ball

014.JPG

Midwest's ring of fire.

015.JPG

Some of Midwest's peppers.

016.JPG

Some narly looking your guess is as good as mine pepper.

017.JPG

Chinese five color, some of the bottom are starting the second color.

018.JPG

Black Pearl.

019.JPG

East end of main garden #1

020.JPG

Ok just 3 more and I'm done.

Very nice. How do you like the yellow bhuts you're growing? Do they generally look like that? I've seen a lot of phenotypes around.

I'm stuck in a barracks room during the week with no TV...and only sniped internet from a neighboring RV park or my phone. So I got nothing better to do than look at other people's pods/grows and miss mine. There are a few updates I jump on right away and yours is at the top of that list! Great looking pods and gardens as always brother. All this in spite of your rough start...keep the updates coming my friend!

Very nice. How do you like the yellow bhuts you're growing? Do they generally look like that? I've seen a lot of phenotypes around.

If you are asking about the taste, normally I don't eat anything that hot, as far as the plant goes; there are 12 in that circle raised bed and this is the only one that looks like this. most look like normal bhuts - thicker longer and more ruff - but still just a little lighter in color. I have no bench mark; this is the first year growing them. Be interesting to see how they turn out.

Thanks, - Jeff

I'm stuck in a barracks room during the week with no TV...and only sniped internet from a neighboring RV park or my phone. So I got nothing better to do than look at other people's pods/grows and miss mine. There are a few updates I jump on right away and yours is at the top of that list! Great looking pods and gardens as always brother. All this in spite of your rough start...keep the updates coming my friend!

Wow that sucks, How long has it been since you've been home? Always look forward to your posts here and feel quite selfish that I am unable do to time restraints to check out everyones grow in more detail. There sure are some talented growers here including yourself!!

Keep it hot buddy but stay cool. - Jeff

If you are asking about the taste, normally I don't eat anything that hot, as far as the plant goes; there are 12 in that circle raised bed and this is the only one that looks like this. most look like normal bhuts - thicker longer and more ruff - but still just a little lighter in color. I have no bench mark; this is the first year growing them. Be interesting to see how they turn out.

Thanks, - Jeff

They can be variable, I overwintered one I liked from last season, long gnarly pods and a great taste. I'm scared to grow it from seed because I don't want to get a dud... but I'll take the plunge and start from seed in 2013.

Well, your wife's photography skills are so incredible, that I think we'll all forgive her for the lack of name tags!!!

The full garden shots are so lush and green, just amazing! Glad the cat was walking by for that shot. It helps give perspective as far as plant size goes.

Is the Giant Carrot related to the Bulgarian Carrot? Is it hot, or sweet?

My opinion of ornamental peppers up to now has been why bother to grow something not tasty enough to eat, but I have to say, your pictures of the Black Pearl, and Chinese 5 Color, have me rethinking that line of thought, LOL! Absolutely beautiful!!!

Thanks for the update! Always a pleasure to check out your grow!

Man alive !!

Im so glad your season has ended so well, can you imagine how it would have been without the frost storm damage?
Just looking at your pictures (with nice 3D borders) is just jaw dropping Jeff.

Good on you mate/

Mezo.

I'm home on the weekends and at least one day out of the week. I will be heading home tonight but after fighting 100 miles of traffic from LA to San Diego it'll be too late to really do much out there. Up and headed back up here at 03:30 in the morning. I know you keep a similar (but tougher) schedule with work plus near 5k plants so I hear you on the time constraints! Keep it up man...Haven't seen any movement on your second story pepper shack greenhouse lately???

Jeff, you truly are a pepper farmer. Not grower...FARMER.

Everything looks amazing, I second the "growing in fast forward" comment.

THOSE PURPLE PEPPERS ARE SIMPLY GORGEOUS. I KNOW I KEEP SAYING THAT BUT I LOVE LOOKING AT THEM. PLANTS LOOK COMPLETELY AMAZING

Back