• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Spicy Chickens MMXIV Glog - Hobby Grow

welcome_to_spicy_chickens_grow_log.jpg

This years grow will be somewhat [SIZE=18.18181800842285px]disappointing comparatively speaking, my wife and I decided last night to only plant the circle raised beds this year.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=18.18181800842285px]Each bed holds 12 plants conservatively X 20 will only be 240 plants; all Reapers and for no particular reason; just to have something growing.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=18.18181800842285px]Some of you may have seen my thread in the Lounge about a barn conversion and this will take priority over the dedication it take to grow our normal thousands of plants. ;-([/SIZE]

We did plant 2548 reaper seeds, we will [SIZE=18.18181800842285px]transplant[/SIZE] what germinates and try to sell locally anything over 240
All of the plants will be topped and stripped this year again, so if you are interested in that stay tuned.

Once again I may not have time to respond to all of your replies, but you will know I read them with a like. Please no Like trolls. lol

Seeding by hand this year with only one seed per cell, limited on seeds.

2014_Grow_001.jpg

To save space and heat we stacked them [SIZE=18.18181800842285px]until[/SIZE] they pop.

2014_Grow_002.JPG

Thanks for stopping by!! Cheers - Jeff
Edit: The writing on the first pic is incorrect and what we first thought we would do. so don't ask :rofl:

Looking forward to following you this season once again! I'm over in Michigan, protected by the lake, and we still have a lot of snow on the ground. This must have been quite a winter for you over there in Wisconsin. Spring will come this year, I'm told.

Ya so lots of variance last year, even had one plant that had the right shape, roughness with nice long tails but the pods were bitch black, still hotter than heck but went into the mystery ben and now mystery dust.

That actually sounds pretty cool! Black pods really go with the reaper theme more than red.. :think:

Good luck with your grow, although it doesn't really look like luck is involved in your garden!

Pulpiteer said:
Looking forward to following you this season once again! I'm over in Michigan, protected by the lake, and we still have a lot of snow on the ground. This must have been quite a winter for you over there in Wisconsin. Spring will come this year, I'm told.

Thanks buddy, winter is not over lol. Wind chills tonight -30+

Ice is so thick here the fisherman are adding extensions to their augers, 3 foot isn't enough. :shocked: 

Capturgggge.jpg

I hope the ground thaws before August  ;)  :rofl:

Cheers, Jeff

Spicy Chicken said:

Ice is so thick here the fisherman are adding extensions to their augers, 3 foot isn't enough. :shocked: 

attachicon.gif
Capturgggge.jpg

Cheers, Jeff

Wow Jeff. I can't ever remember ice thicker than about a foot or so here and that was back in the early 80's when we actually had cold winters. 

Pulpiteer said:

Protected by the lake my butt. I was up your way last Aug and it was no warmer than 70 in Charlevoix. Go get some warmer weather plz. Trying to swim in the lake when it is that cold is no fun. 

Spicy Chicken said:

attachicon.gif
Capturgggge.jpg

Cheers, Jeff

Yeah, I've got a parishioner who loves ice fishing on the little inland lakes around here and he is on his knees pushing the auger as far as he can get it.  He said he's on the verge of needing an extension.  Amazing.  I think we'll have piles of snow from the parking lots around here for quite a while.

Jeff H said:

Protected by the lake my butt. I was up your way last Aug and it was no warmer than 70 in Charlevoix. Go get some warmer weather plz. Trying to swim in the lake when it is that cold is no fun. 

But it was a balmy 70, right? ;)

Spicy Chicken said:

attachicon.gif
Capturgggge.jpg

Cheers, Jeff
That's pretty bad...but look at how terrible we got it down here!!!

5 whole days until we're back into the 70s!!! Plus, they put those white puffy things and water drops on the forecast...what the heck are those???

stc3248 said:
That's pretty bad...but look at how terrible we got it down here!!!

5 whole days until we're back into the 70s!!! Plus, they put those white puffy things and water drops on the forecast...what the heck are those???

Do you mind if I hold your head under the water... for just a little while? Go ahead make jokes, may the bird of paradise come poop on your plants.  :rofl:

All joking aside, those are our mid summer temps. lol I lived in southern Cali for awhile back in the 70's as a teenager, have lots of fond memories of that time if you know what I mean. :party:

Still love the full 4 seasons, just not this S##t, O well spring should be just around the corner, if I don't like it that much I should just move right? lol ;-)

Cheers, Jeff

Jeff,

Looking at your temps....Uh, you can have them! That's just crazy cold and for too long. I can't boast Shane's temps, those West of us aren't getting the colder (not your colder) weather.

And send that bird West to poop on the growdown plants..LOL

The Geotechs are telling us that the frost level in southern Ohio was down about 18" deep this year. That is highly unusual around here. Wisconsin must be down 4 feet or more by now. It just might take until Aug to thaw. :rolleyes:

update;
welcome_to_another_update.jpg

They are getting bigger, for a while it was questionable. ;-) 90 days to plant out. :dance: 
We have over a thousand so plenty to pick from, the best of the best and all, now what to do with the other 800 or more. Hmmmmm

2014_Grow_005.JPG

2014_Grow_006.JPG

Din't take long to look at those two pics did it?

Thanks for stopping by!  Cheers - Jeff

Talk to Shane, he is a master of slipping in new plants into the already planned and wife approved gardens. No need for you to get rid of 800 plants. You could probably explain away at least 3-400 being saved just in case something happened to the ones in the raised beds.

Jeff...and Jeff...on a good year I will sneak in an extra 20 or 30, but there ain't no hiding an extra 800!!!  :rofl: Babies look happy! You could always get into the plant shipping business for a bit and auction some off on here??? I sold some on Craigslist locally last year, kind of a headache, but it would help pay the electric bill!

They're all looking spectacular thus far! After the last couple of trouble filled starts you are due for some smooth sailing...sending some good vibes your way brotha!

Jeff H said:
Talk to Shane, he is a master of slipping in new plants into the already planned and wife approved gardens. No need for you to get rid of 800 plants. You could probably explain away at least 3-400 being saved just in case something happened to the ones in the raised beds.

Jeff, my wife is pushing me to plant them all, but personally this year I don't want the work especially at harvest time ;-( last year was kind off a crappy year so I ended up only processing about 150,000 pod's give or take and that took 5 weeks @ at least 8 hours a day 7 days a week. good year a half million or so...ouch. I will plant em if you pick and process em  :dance:

stc3248 said:
Jeff...and Jeff...on a good year I will sneak in an extra 20 or 30, but there ain't no hiding an extra 800!!!  :rofl: Babies look happy! You could always get into the plant shipping business for a bit and auction some off on here??? I sold some on Craigslist locally last year, kind of a headache, but it would help pay the electric bill!

They're all looking spectacular thus far! After the last couple of trouble filled starts you are due for some smooth sailing...sending some good vibes your way brotha!

hopefully I can find a couple nurseries that will take em. even at 50 cents a piece lol shipping is out, tried that and what a pain even though I have seen some folks on this forum pay outrageous dollars ($30) for just one plant. I think from Burnmegood.com and the damn thing died. Woooo 

Tried the craigslist thing also and I couldn't get $15 dollar for a 18 count flat of T.S Moruga's, not worth it. ;-( sad really and a bit disappointing.

Would you pay $15 for all of these?  :rolleyes:  don't know how anyone can make money on selling a shipping plants, but they do. ;-)

DSC01719.JPG

Thanks for stopping by guys and yes I'm due for some smooth sailing for sure. lol Cheers - Jeff

Um, they do!

Around here $2.99 for a dang Poblano, or any other plant in a pot that size.
I know, I was in town looking for a few things that never did materialize from seed.

Just need to find the market...

Spicy Chicken said:

Jeff, my wife is pushing me to plant them all, but personally this year I don't want the work especially at harvest time ;-( last year was kind off a crappy year so I ended up only processing about 150,000 pod's give or take and that took 5 weeks @ at least 8 hours a day 7 days a week. good year a half million or so...ouch. I will plant em if you pick and process em  :dance:

hopefully I can find a couple nurseries that will take em. even at 50 cents a piece lol shipping is out, tried that and what a pain even though I have seen some folks on this forum pay outrageous dollars ($30) for just one plant. I think from Burnmegood.com and the damn thing died. Woooo 

Tried the craigslist thing also and I couldn't get $15 dollar for a 18 count flat of T.S Moruga's, not worth it. ;-( sad really and a bit disappointing.

Would you pay $15 for all of these?  :rolleyes:  don't know how anyone can make money on selling a shipping plants, but they do. ;-)

attachicon.gif
DSC01719.JPG

Thanks for stopping by guys and yes I'm due for some smooth sailing for sure. lol Cheers - Jeff

That tray looks great.  It's just that there aren't the right people near you or on craigslist looking for superhots.  Online vendors who sell plants sell them for over $4 each... definitely worth it if you want to grow them...

Back