• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Spicy Chickens MMXIV Glog - Hobby Grow

welcome_to_spicy_chickens_grow_log.jpg

This years grow will be somewhat [SIZE=18.18181800842285px]disappointing comparatively speaking, my wife and I decided last night to only plant the circle raised beds this year.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=18.18181800842285px]Each bed holds 12 plants conservatively X 20 will only be 240 plants; all Reapers and for no particular reason; just to have something growing.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=18.18181800842285px]Some of you may have seen my thread in the Lounge about a barn conversion and this will take priority over the dedication it take to grow our normal thousands of plants. ;-([/SIZE]

We did plant 2548 reaper seeds, we will [SIZE=18.18181800842285px]transplant[/SIZE] what germinates and try to sell locally anything over 240
All of the plants will be topped and stripped this year again, so if you are interested in that stay tuned.

Once again I may not have time to respond to all of your replies, but you will know I read them with a like. Please no Like trolls. lol

Seeding by hand this year with only one seed per cell, limited on seeds.

2014_Grow_001.jpg

To save space and heat we stacked them [SIZE=18.18181800842285px]until[/SIZE] they pop.

2014_Grow_002.JPG

Thanks for stopping by!! Cheers - Jeff
Edit: The writing on the first pic is incorrect and what we first thought we would do. so don't ask :rofl:

Devv said:
I think everybody has shipped their pants at one time or another.

Jeff, no local outlets for selling plants? Nursery or something?

Plants look great!

Thanks!! As far as the plants go, really don't have time for it this year, might try one of the local groups on facebook for local pickup.  :rolleyes:  Craigslist is always a disappointment, and Nurseries need to make money too and don't want that many because they don't feel they can sell them so it would cost more in gas to deliver a few than we would make on them. sad really.  just going to keep what I need plus a few and save on the electric bill.  ;)

Update:
welcome_to_another_update.jpg

​Nothing [SIZE=18.18181800842285px]too[/SIZE] exciting, just some update pics of growth and gettin the transplanting done, no issues everyone looks healthy and happy. :party: 

2014_Grow_016.JPG

2014_Grow_017.JPG

Many different stages to the growth but should be doing some stripping and topping in the next week. Pouring the nuits to em, huge difference in growth after they get the new shoes, for the most part I [SIZE=18.18181800842285px]believe its because of more consistant moisture; those small cells are kina either wet or dried out, killed 4-5 hundy because of the inability to pay attention, lol [/SIZE] 

2014_Grow_018.JPG

Ran out of potting mix, need one more bag. Should be done with the transplant tomorrow night, thank goodness. Seems fun at first but sure can be monotonous after a while.  :confused:  Should have plenty to just fill the shelves; 1152.  :stop: 

2014_Grow_019.JPG

Hope you enjoyed the pics. Really looking forward to getting them outside.  :pray: 

Thanks for stopping by!! Hope your weekend was awesome.  Cheers - Jeff.   :cheers: 

Looking good Jeff! How warm do you keep your growing area? Mine is getting plenty of light, but with the extra-cold winter here this year, the cellar where I have to keep the seedlings is averaging about 47 degrees, and they're growing, but not as fast as yours. Some I gave an extra-long headstart to, and a couple of those are gonna be beasts.

stickman said:
Looking good Jeff! How warm do you keep your growing area? Mine is getting plenty of light, but with the extra-cold winter here this year, the cellar where I have to keep the seedlings is averaging about 47 degrees, and they're growing, but not as fast as yours. Some I gave an extra-long headstart to, and a couple of those are gonna be beasts.

Hi Rick,

Time to get an extra heater. lol

The upper shelves 82 lower 62 and get rotated every watering....3-4 days. The lights underneath keep the plant soil fairly toasty so the bottom shelf is quite cooler. (no light under) This winter sure has been a bit## of a cold one. 

The grow shelves we use are sealed 3 sides. so we use 1 inch expanded foam over the faces to retain heat from germinating till a month old; with an air gap. I had the foam tight and fried a few hundred. :( lesson learned.

If your selves are not sealed, old blankets and such can help retain the heat till weather permits......maybe.... just a thought. :rolleyes:

I wanna get over and check out your glog, but @ 38 pages I have to set aside an hour; wow ;-) I don't get that many replies of visitors so 1 minute once a week and you're caught up. lol

Thanks for stopping by!! 

Cheers - Jeff

Devv said:
Like the grow setup Jeff!

Plants all looking very happy. Are all the plants Reapers?

Keep it green and bring on the spring!

Hi Scott,

Thanks, yes all the seeds came from reaper pods we grew last year, but they are open pollinated so how many will be true is a mystery.

Didn't do so good with them last year. Out of 70 seeds only 24 germinated and only 7 were true phenotype and only about 100 pods worthy of keeping seeds. 

This year only growing the one type, crosses should be limited to only the chance of last year cross amongst them. By the time you recognize they are not true some cross pollination could have occurred. :(

I had 5 last year with one being a "Funky", kind of Naga looking. Out of the other 4 I didn't get that many with the nice stingers, but did get a few.

Good luck!

Just goes to show that a seed won't germinate until the conditions are just right.lol

I plant my seeds in 98 cell trays, not all germinate; so the soil from the ones that did not gets mixed in the potting soil for the bigger pots.

This little guy popped up 5 weeks after expected. A cute but deadly decision.  :shh: 

2014_Grow_020.JPG

Plants getting a drink. :dance: 

2014_Grow_021.JPG

Cheers - Jeff

Oh yeah - Maximum and Yield are misspelled too.  Sorry, I was reading in the early a.m. without my glasses . . . 

Spicy Chicken said:

Good one's John!! thanks

Leave it to the lawyer. lol 

Edit: John I can't believe you missed Maximum and Yield.  :rofl:

OKGrowin said:
maybe just say 600x hotter than jalapeno instead of making the person do the math.
Yeah, I was going to say to include "scoville units" after the 2500 for jalapeno, but I like this idea better. I think it hits home more.

I think it looks great though. It's clear what you are getting, the minimum order, the cost and all of that. Plus I think it's intriguing enough for non-chile heads to wonder about growing some. It has all the information you need, but doesn't strike me as too busy where you'd get lost in finding what you want.

Looks great - good luck!

Back