• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Spicy Chickens MMXIV Glog - Hobby Grow

welcome_to_spicy_chickens_grow_log.jpg

This years grow will be somewhat [SIZE=18.18181800842285px]disappointing comparatively speaking, my wife and I decided last night to only plant the circle raised beds this year.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=18.18181800842285px]Each bed holds 12 plants conservatively X 20 will only be 240 plants; all Reapers and for no particular reason; just to have something growing.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=18.18181800842285px]Some of you may have seen my thread in the Lounge about a barn conversion and this will take priority over the dedication it take to grow our normal thousands of plants. ;-([/SIZE]

We did plant 2548 reaper seeds, we will [SIZE=18.18181800842285px]transplant[/SIZE] what germinates and try to sell locally anything over 240
All of the plants will be topped and stripped this year again, so if you are interested in that stay tuned.

Once again I may not have time to respond to all of your replies, but you will know I read them with a like. Please no Like trolls. lol

Seeding by hand this year with only one seed per cell, limited on seeds.

2014_Grow_001.jpg

To save space and heat we stacked them [SIZE=18.18181800842285px]until[/SIZE] they pop.

2014_Grow_002.JPG

Thanks for stopping by!! Cheers - Jeff
Edit: The writing on the first pic is incorrect and what we first thought we would do. so don't ask :rofl:

Spicy Chicken said:

You did well, over the top a bit maybe. lol
:rofl:  OK you just gave me a complex, I'm not real goon good with praise, I just do what I can, but thanks for the Kodos.  ;)  Kind of interesting but until I took those pics a little while ago its the first time I have looked at the plants up close in more than a week; just so busy with other thing. I will admit they do look pretty healthy for such crappy weather. 

Thanks for stopping by again!! Cheers

That's half the trouble right there: trying to say something that doesn't sound over the top! But it is what it is and deserves what is said. ;) I'm glad you allowed yourself that little pat on the back you just gave yourself there, too. You work damn hard, that certainly shows, and you should be proud of the result! :)

lucilanga said:
Honestly that cleanness has a surreal effect on photos.
Those bricks look like they were made of sponge, the mulch foil is the cleanest I have ever seen.
I'm speechless about the plants.
I even love the wire that holds the tubes together.
Same here man. I want to be just like you Jeff when I grow up! Always an inspiration looking at your photos! My stripped plants are doing really well thanks to your advise.

Hey, I know this is a GLOG, maybe I should PM you.  But if you're busy I'm sure others will help me out.   I have an excalibur and want to  make my own powders if I have a decent harvest.   after reading the About you on you business page I want to support you.  I like superheats but my tolerance has weekend.  Can you just let me know if I'm better off waiting for harvest or your current powders are still fresh.   I'm a patient man and have no problem waiting.   I really am impressed reading this glog.   So let me know if I should place an order Now ( i hear you're only growing reapers, if I'm not mistaken which might be a bit much for me.  I'm thinking Bulgarian carrot type heat and some blends for flavor would be nice.  Any recommendations are appreciated!  TY    

FiveSix said:
Hey, I know this is a GLOG, maybe I should PM you.  But if you're busy I'm sure others will help me out.   I have an excalibur and want to  make my own powders if I have a decent harvest.   after reading the About you on you business page I want to support you.  I like superheats but my tolerance has weekend.  Can you just let me know if I'm better off waiting for harvest or your current powders are still fresh.   I'm a patient man and have no problem waiting.   I really am impressed reading this glog.   So let me know if I should place an order Now ( i hear you're only growing reapers, if I'm not mistaken which might be a bit much for me.  I'm thinking Bulgarian carrot type heat and some blends for flavor would be nice.  Any recommendations are appreciated!  TY    

Thanks FiveSix, Ya unfortunately we are only growing Reapers this year and if you are looking for carrot heat this would certainly be too hot for you. Drying your own is always a great way to preserve the heat you like and if kept properly will last a really long time

Cheers, Jeff
Update:

welcome_to_another_update.jpg

10 days since the last update, you can really see on the last pic where jump starting the secondaries by topping and stripping up north here really sets multiple nodes early.

60 days till frost; so we should get a great harvest with each plant already having a 100 plus buds or pods.

2014_Grow_067.JPG

2014_Grow_068.JPG

2014_Grow_069.JPG

2014_Grow_070.JPG

Hope everyone had a great 4th,    :party: 

Cheers - Jeff

The plants are coming along nicely. Thanks for the update. 60 days until frost! WOW. Your seasons shorter than mine. I wish I could get some blossoms to stick. Getting worried over here.

Thanks for the pics. Have a great weekend

Chuck

Spicy Chicken said:
Thanks FiveSix, Ya unfortunately we are only growing Reapers this year and if you are looking for carrot heat this would certainly be too hot for you. Drying your own is always a great way to preserve the heat you like and if kept properly will last a really long time

Cheers, Jeff

crap, i quoted wrong but I think you all can figure it out lol  So humbling to see you guys still rocking.  

Ty for the resonse.  I found some Red Habs @ whole foods.  Remind me of red savinas when I was more active 5 years ago.   I am very surprised that I am able to take that in Titos vodka sitting for 3 days.  vodka has gone a little pink and it tastes awesome and  the heat lasts about 45 seconds.  Am I ready for 1/8th reaper pod titos?  hahaha  Just my way of saying TY for the reply!  GL.  my plants bounced up nice the last week and I have carrot pods but a bunch ot t storms came through this week and my habs are dropping a few flowers.   I just hope it's the extra water which is what impressed me so much a about your beds.  Amazing work for sure!  

Hi Jeff,

Looks like you have the typical Reaper pheno spread going on.

None the less, you have a beautiful spread there. And I give you much credit for being able to grow supers in your climate. I know you've been doing it for years and all. Still is major accomplishment. Just sayin' ;) 

Update:

welcome_to_another_update.jpg

Hello everyone. Just a quick update on the progress here, plants are growing but slowly and not all the pods are as they should be as you can see in the pics.

It's been a couple weeks now and most days have only been in the seventies at best; not real good for growing these babies!

Looks like production will not be quite as high as we had hoped but [SIZE=18.18181800842285px]nonetheless[/SIZE] there will be some great pods this year.

​Was going through [SIZE=18.18181800842285px]Youtube yesterday and came upon a recipe for [/SIZE] jerk chicken wings, they looks awesome! the recipe called for 3 [SIZE=18.18181800842285px]habaneros[/SIZE] but all we had were the reapers, so that was really stupid; ate 3 out of the 98 we made, not sure if I can eat any more.........my god are those wings are hot........holy sh#t!! Now I know why they call em jerk chicken because as soon as you pop one in your mouth you want to jerk it out again......... or maybe it's [SIZE=18.18181800842285px]because[/SIZE] of the jerk who traded out habs for reapers. lol

Anywho here are some progress pics. :)

2014_Grow_077.JPG

2014_Grow_078.JPG

2014_Grow_079.JPG

2014_Grow_080.JPG

2014_Grow_081.JPG

Thanks for stopping by and hope that everyone had a great weekend! 

Cheers - Jeff

Back