• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Spicy Chickona's MMXIII Grow Log

Hello everyone.

Wasn't going to do a grow log this year, but then thought maybe someone could learn from my mistakes. ;o(

So here we go. last year I started my plants mid January and paid the price with mr frost, it was difficult watching everyone starting their plants.

Start off with the building of the new grow light boxes and maybe will get some germination going by tomorrow.

2013_grow_001.jpg

2013_grow_002.jpg

2013_grow_003.jpg

2013_grow_004.jpg

Thanks for stopping in! Cheers - Jeff

Looking good spicy. Bet that lot took you a while to pot up

Great use of the plastic knifes, good way to save a few $'s

What's the stuff brown stuff your using in the carton? Is it a rooting agent or seaweed extract thingy to help the roots?

Looking good spicy. Bet that lot took you a while to pot up

Great use of the plastic knifes, good way to save a few $'s

What's the stuff brown stuff your using in the carton? Is it a rooting agent or seaweed extract thingy to help the roots?

Thanks Pete, The stuff in the jug is fish emulsion, I use it from day one, Along with Epsom Salt and Cal-Mag.
Thanks for stopping by, Cheers Jeff

Nice Jeff...looks lie 750ish potted up so far! Only 3250ish to go before you hit the 4k you called...but I think it'll be more! Missed why you're not using the pepper shack as the germ room? Packed with last year's powder?

That is awesome! A seedling army! Looks like each seedling has a knife in their hands ready to go into battle!

You should see them march, hup 1-2 hup 1-2 hup 1-2................;o)

Very cool. How many plants is that?

Potted and seedling about 6 to 7 thousand. culling will cut that down.;o)

Nice Jeff...looks lie 750ish potted up so far! Only 3250ish to go before you hit the 4k you called...but I think it'll be more! Missed why you're not using the pepper shack as the germ room? Packed with last year's powder?

Water and room, but water for the most part, plus I don't like rearranging things so many times. ;o(

Yesss Jeff that is what I'm talking about!! Holy JA-HO-NA'S - that lot look flipping awesome man! LOVE IT!

What else are you growing this year - didn't see a final list, apologies if I missed it I was too busy drooling over your germination set up.

With the fish emulsion and epsom salts you are using, do you add them into the water when you soak the seed flats before sowing and then in the water when you water the flats from the bottom or do you use it as a foliage spray once you start getting hooks?

Yesss Jeff that is what I'm talking about!! Holy JA-HO-NA'S - that lot look flipping awesome man! LOVE IT!

What else are you growing this year - didn't see a final list, apologies if I missed it I was too busy drooling over your germination set up.

With the fish emulsion and epsom salts you are using, do you add them into the water when you soak the seed flats before sowing and then in the water when you water the flats from the bottom or do you use it as a foliage spray once you start getting hooks?

Will try and get a list at some point. ;o)

I don't use anything fancy for starting seeds, just the normal pro-mix potting soil, It is moist but not wet when the seeds go in the trays and then will get dropped in the tub of water with the full strength mix. This way the plants are accustom to their food from day one and don't have to wean them into it later on.lol I think there is a pic of them soaking on page one, doknow.

I know a lot of folks here get all fancy with their germination techniques, but after starting millions of seeds its quite simple. put the seeds in the dirt, keep em warm and moist and you will get plants. OK probably get some flack for that statement. lol

If you bury the seed about a 1/4 inch you will have less caps because the cap stays wet longer and the plant can peal it easier but sometime the seed won't have enough energy to pop the the soil, so I feel that is a natural culling process; only the strong survive. ;o)

Cheers - Jeff

Mr Sc, the grow boxes multiply with each page. It looks like the reptile section at the zoo. Awesome! Are you running fans in the back for air flow? I am with you on the germination techniques. Warm and moist, you get plants. Great set up and good luck this year.

Mr Sc, the grow boxes multiply with each page. It looks like the reptile section at the zoo. Awesome! Are you running fans in the back for air flow? I am with you on the germination techniques. Warm and moist, you get plants. Great set up and good luck this year.

We use a gentle slow move of air at this time, the grow shelves are in an area that is about 60F and we don't want to cool the plants to much. inside the boxes its about 80F with just the heat from the lights. In about 3 weeks the bigger plants will get topped and completely striped of every leaf. wait for those pics; ;o) that will freak some people out. lol

Thanks, Cheers - Jeff

Thanks for the info. I only topped one plant last year and it turned out to be a beast. I plan on doing more this year. At what height or set of leaves are you topping them?

Back