• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Spicy Chickona's MMXIII Grow Log

Hello everyone.

Wasn't going to do a grow log this year, but then thought maybe someone could learn from my mistakes. ;o(

So here we go. last year I started my plants mid January and paid the price with mr frost, it was difficult watching everyone starting their plants.

Start off with the building of the new grow light boxes and maybe will get some germination going by tomorrow.

2013_grow_001.jpg

2013_grow_002.jpg

2013_grow_003.jpg

2013_grow_004.jpg

Thanks for stopping in! Cheers - Jeff

Wow! Just amazingly beautiful setup you have. Your plants look perfect and so uniform.

I'm very intrigued with your foliage stripping and topping experiment. This may be a revolution in pepper farming in the making. I may have to try it on a few plants myself this year.

Good luck!

Interesting practice or should I say test, I will be watching as others. Do you have a control group to compare against? And what are you feeding them? I have done this to 2 of my plants that had horrible bug issues some time back but the secondary grow did not come back as quickly as yours. None the less it came back fine over a longer period of time and they're doing fine today but I have not noticed any more or less of a production but I did not test your theory. Great success to you and the grow :)

Nice pics. I did something similar with a choco hab and a few extra TS Morouga Blend I had...

By the way... are you growing any frutescens?

So how are the plants coming along that you trimmed a little? Not growing to many frutescens,

Hey Jeff, already a week passed, how are the experiment objects doing? ;)

The ones I denuded are still in shock, hope they're gonna wake up soon :)

I know, i know; just way to many irons in the fire. lol pics below. ;o)

Interesting practice or should I say test, I will be watching as others. Do you have a control group to compare against? And what are you feeding them? I have done this to 2 of my plants that had horrible bug issues some time back but the secondary grow did not come back as quickly as yours. None the less it came back fine over a longer period of time and they're doing fine today but I have not noticed any more or less of a production but I did not test your theory. Great success to you and the grow :)

Thanks WalkGood, I will not have any control plants this year, I had them last year. this year they will all be stripped. I'm sure it will be different as far as growth and production from grower to grower. I'm sure that some will claim no difference at all but there are a couple of things I do extra to me plant that I will not divulge just yet and maybe never, can't have my competition figure they can grow half or quarter the amount of plants and have the same production, lol :whistle:

I did this to all of my peppers and all I can say is wow! Explosive growth in two weeks. Looking forward to see how many pods they are loaded with in a few months.

Good luck to you! I hope you get loads of pods. WooHoo :dance:

[sup]Very nice! Good luck on your 2013 growing season.[/sup]

Thanks buddy!!

Here is a small update on the grow, it has been and extremely cold late spring this year up here in the north. Many places are still frozen and there is snow on the ground yet.

I shouldn't have any problems with aphids this year. :party:

2013_grow_029.jpg

I found that leaving 2 leaves on the bottom help in faster growth, this is after 3 days.

2013_grow_028.jpg

This is after 10 to 14 days.

2013_grow_024.jpg

2013_grow_025.jpg

And lastly; a few pics of running out of room. ;o)

2013_grow_023.jpg

2013_grow_027.jpg

2013_grow_026.jpg

Thanks for stopping by!! Cheers - Jeff

Absolutely beautiful operation. Have you had a visit yet from your friendly local sheriff's department about your electricity consumption?

Absolutely beautiful operation. Have you had a visit yet from your friendly local sheriff's department about your electricity consumption?

Thanks Sawyer, No visit yet, but nothing says that we don't heat with all electric even tho we have pellet stoves. lol

One of today's chores, cleaning out the raised circle beds, it sucks but has to be done. ;o)

2013_grow_030.jpg

2013_grow_031.jpg

2013_grow_032.jpg

2013_grow_033.jpg

Big gardens are mud, if it doesn't stop raining; warm up and dry out it just might be bust this year. ;o(

Jeff, your credibility is shot with me. Last year you were whining about getting wiped out by some frost in the greenhouse mishap and you pulled a megaharvest outta those fields and circles. I have no doubt this year will be even better, just maybe a little later than last year's warm, dry spring. I'm betting the Spicy Chicken planting machine will be cranked up full force in the next couple weeks.

Big gardens are mud, if it doesn't stop raining; warm up and dry out it just might be bust this year. ;o(

Jeff, your credibility is shot with me. Last year you were whining about getting wiped out by some frost in the greenhouse mishap and you pulled a megaharvest outta those fields and circles. I have no doubt this year will be even better, just maybe a little later than last year's warm, dry spring. I'm betting the Spicy Chicken planting machine will be cranked up full force in the next couple weeks.

Don't know if you know this John but last year you sending me those wonderful plants was the whole reason for going ahead with last years plant. When your package arrived my wife said and I quote; " If others are not giving up on you than I don't think you should give up either". We have had to put sold out on 3 of the most popular super hots already do to the loss of those thousands of super hot and I guess whining about it was a bit childish. lol

The forecast is showing 5 days without rain starting Sunday, Hope that will be enough to get a few rows on the higher side of the garden hilled and formed. My gosh so much to do and so little good days to do it and that a statement not whining. lol

Cheers - Jeff

Aw, shucks <blush>. I kid you about whining, but I can imagine how dejected you felt after the mishap. You disappeared after the mishap, and we were all concerned that you really might just give up chile farming for the year (or longer) and we wouldn't get to marvel at your mighty grow efforts. We couldn't let that happen. :surprised:

I'm looking forward to the Spicy Chicken 2013 show! :dance: :fireball: :onfire:

Don't know if you know this John but last year you sending me those wonderful plants was the whole reason for going ahead with last years plant. When your package arrived my wife said and I quote; " If others are not giving up on you than I don't think you should give up either". We have had to put sold out on 3 of the most popular super hots already do to the loss of those thousands of super hot and I guess whining about it was a bit childish. lol

The forecast is showing 5 days without rain starting Sunday, Hope that will be enough to get a few rows on the higher side of the garden hilled and formed. My gosh so much to do and so little good days to do it and that a statement not whining. lol

Cheers - Jeff

Don't thing any of us on here ever thought of it as whining...just plain gut wrenching to look at from this end last year, can't imaging living it. I probably would have set my grow room on fire with the survivors in it. You still made one hell of a season out of it in spite of the terrible luck.

Trimming project looking to be a good call, I think all the involuntary trimming of mine last year through bugs, hail and wind made my season great in the end...so I am simulating it myself. I went a slightly different route by letting them grow and fork before trimming and topping to bush them out. Will be watching and comparing results. You're an inspiration Spicy!

Back