• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

stc3248, 2013 Grow log, Season's Greetings and Season's End

Well here we go again! Those that saw my grow last year know that I was plagued by virus issues and many other problems, but I was still able to pull off the most amazing grow of my life. By season's end every plant was infected. Some keeled over, but others just kept right on trucking. I learned a ton, and hope to use it to pull off a season without that virus making a repeat appearance. It will be tough. I had huge numbers of pods, and many hit the ground and rotted, so there are sure to be some infected volunteers that show up. My grow this year will be MUCH smaller and focused on the varieties I liked best along with a couple new ones I really wanna try out.

First a couple of my money shots from last year...
P1020323.jpg

gallery_5729_53_989628.jpg

gallery_5729_13_2805551.jpg

gallery_5729_13_3096947.jpg

I plan to use a similar grow setup to start with...here are a couple pics of how it looked...
P1000224.jpg

P1000226.jpg

My setup evolved as the season began. I started with a single t8 shoplight...the two shoplights and ended up with a single row of CFL's down the center hooked into a 4' power strip the the two shoplights angled in from the sides. The light from the sides really seemed to promote growth at the lower nodes...so for this year...
IMG_0650.jpg

I bought some more CFL's Mix of 100w and 75w equivalents. The 100w eq were around $10 for 4 at HD and the 75w were $3 for 6 at COSTCO!!! Also bought some splitters for the sockets and here's what the power strip looks like now...
IMG_0655.jpg

This thing feels like its giving you a sunburn from 6' away...I alternated 100/75 on each side all the way down...Instead of the mylar I am going with foil sided foam sheathing...
IMG_0660.jpg

My "plan" with this stuff is to make the Shelf unit more of a grow tent type setup. Hoping I can use the lights and a small space heater to maintain a constant temp in the mid 80s. I am also going to "try" to use magnetic tape to attach this stuff so access will be easy. We shall see. May get too warm...but easy enough to vent if need be. I am going to try to keep them indoors much longer this year. I put them out to early last year, and some of the late starts that stayed inside until the night time temps were higher passed many of my early starts that were already in the ground.

My final dilemma is the wife says 20 plants...and I have all these awesome seeds! So I am going to see if the wife's # is sort of like the over the counter dosage...the full prescription strength is double, so I am aiming for 40. I will start almost twice that # though so if you're near SD be watching this glog around plant out, I will be getting rid of some plants...
IMG_0656.jpg

Well here is the list for now...If something you sent didn't make it I still have them, and will get to them some day. Momma is already pissed! :rolleyes:

Wilds
Tepin 15 (seed train 2012)
Pequin Chiapas (Griff87)
Bird Aji (Seed Train 2012)
Cumari (Romy6)
PI 438638 (Romy6)

Annuum
Jamaican Hot Yellow (My Seed)
Goat's Weed (My seed)
Explosive Ember (My seed)
Tri-color Variagata (Seed Train 2012)
Numex Centennial (the next seed train)

Pubescens
Ultra Pube PI 585266 (SocalChilehead)
Manzano (farmer's market)

Baccatum
Yellow Aji from Peru (Paul G)

Chinense
Giant Twisted Chocolate Hab (CMPMAN 1974 Via Pr0digal_son)
St Marteen Marigot Mkt Yellow Scotch Bonnet (Pic1)
Jamaica Scotch Bonnet (Pic1)
Belize City Scotch Bonnet (Pic1)
Fatalii (Pulpiteer)

The Supers
Yellow Billy Boy Douglah (SilverSurfer via Coheed via Romy6)
Yellow Cardi Scorpion (Romy6)
Yellow 7 Pot Brain Strain (Unknown Source probably the next seed train???)
Yellow 7 Pot (Pr0digal_son)
7 Pot Brain Strain (Romy6 Had some from Jamie and got some more from PaulG)
7 Pot Congo SR (CMPMAN 1974 via Pr0digal_son)
7 Pot White (SocalChilehead)
7 Pot Monster Infinity (gnslngr)
7 Pot Primo (MGold via PaulG)
Douglah (Pr0digal_son)
Trinidad Scorpion Moruga (Bakers Peppers)
Bhut Jolokia Indian Carbon (Pr0digal_son)

7 Pot Barrackpore (soon to arrive from DocNrock :dance: )
HP22B aka Carolina Reaper (soon to arrive from DocNrock :dance: )

Ummm...I count 32ish varieties. May scrub a couple off, but may not!!! Thinking I can get by with the Ornamentals and Wilds as long as I keep them small and Bonchi them to look perdy for Momma??? :rofl:

I think I will skip most all of the grocery store available varieties this year so I can grow more of the good stuff...That's if for now everybody! Hope you all have a great season!!!

Shane

They always are, nothing is every permanent with us growers. Good luck in Vegas!
It comes with the territory I suppose.

Hooks already! You go, boy!
Have fun in LV...
Thanks Paul! Momma loves it, and I love her so...to Vegas we go! Hooks and hopefully some coty's upon my return! :party:
And Shane is offfff! 3 pages already and you have just begun! :rofl:

Looking good, love that grow room you built! Wishing you a very successful virus free season friend!! :dance:
Nope! 4 Pages!!! I really hope that virus will stay away for me...but I got a feeling it'll be back.

P1020746_zpsbd995c3f.jpg

Look, the water is stiff! What is this stuff, can someone please ID it for me. It was all over the top of my water this morning???

P1020748_zps34abe56e.jpg

This I can ID...its a baby Goat's Weed!!!

P1020749_zpsda9c8cbf.jpg

And an Explosive Ember
Also had some Numex Centennial's up...but forgot to snap them.

P1020751_zpsf52ac930.jpg

Here they are in their house...

I wired up the bottom shelf with 4 power strips running cross-ways centered above where the 4 flats will sit...but no need to run it yet. All that's running now are the two t8's on the top shelf and a small space heater to keep it around 70 degrees in there. With the lights and heaters the starts are right at 90 degrees...

OK...now I really am off to vegas. Later everyone! If I hit it maybe a greenhouse is in my future...if not, I may be selling more plants than I thought!
Shane

I am a pro at growing water like that. :party:

The grow look like a nice setup. Any idea what the temp would be with out the small space heater?

Enjoy Vegas, man. You must be close to or in the Poway hills to have ice like that. Grow room looks fantastic, and you get to go to Vegas knowing hooks are a-forming!

Back from Vegas up about $250 on the trip, minus room, food, gas and entertainment...trip paid for itself! Had a blast, just momma and I. Browsed the gift shop on the way out of the hotel and came across this...
P1020755.jpg

Had to pick it up...I have been wanting one of these vertical popper racks. They had the standard kind that held a few more, but I just had to do the Dillo being a displaced Texan! So hopefully I will get to pop a few Penos this week!

Also found this in the mail from Brent (DocNrock)!!!
P1020752.jpg

Been soaked and in pellets!!!

Getting some action in the Germ Trays as well...
P1020753.jpg

Here's a Numex Centennial...

P1020754.jpg

And an Explosive Ember...a couple of these are up and running.

P1020774.jpg

First Super Hook of the Season is one of the Yellow Cardi Scorpions from Jamie (Romy6).

P1020775.jpg

Not far behind is one of the TSMB's from Bakers Peppers I got on a seed train last year...

P1020756.jpg

Bleached and prepped some new homes for the little guys...running low on the 2.25 square X 3.5's so I ordered 80 more for my 20ish :liar: plants.

P1020757.jpg

And a nice big batch of my high dollar plant markers!

P1020759.jpg

Then it was time for these guys to put their "Big Boy" pants on!!!

P1020760.jpg

Going to keep the ornamentals in the cheap starter pots I got last year. Don't really like these pots too much, but since many of these will be gifted away, I thought I'd use them...

Uh...oh, that's already 10! Bump please ;) !

Thanks Trippa!!!

Spent the rest of the morning working on the grow shelves and getting them all set up...

Added a shelf and hooked up two of 4 grow stations down there...
P1020762.jpg

Could maybe squeeze one more double lamp setup onto these power strips, but don't think I'll need to...

P1020764.jpg

Here they are up and running...very bright under there.

P1020765.jpg

Used a couple of the extra shelf rails to make an adjustable light hanger...

Then I decided to try to get a little more light bouncing around on the shelves...
P1020766.jpg

P1020768.jpg

P1020769.jpg

P1020770.jpg

I used Magnetic tape with some left over reflective insulation to make two movable/removable reflectors for the top and bottom grow shelves...

And a couple more pieces and some duct tape...
P1020771.jpg

P1020772.jpg

P1020773.jpg

To make a reflector hood...They make a HUGE difference especially on the outermost pots.

That's it for now folks, almost done with my leave, back to work Thursday, hopefully I can get a bunch more to pop before I go back. They are much easier to manage once potted up and I won't have to worry as much about them damping off or drying out while I am up at work. Luckily I only go back up for one night this week, and from here on out until they're all in the 2.25s I will be making a trip home on Wednesdays to pot up any new hooks and water what needs it...

Dam that grow room is a beauty :)
Thanks! I hope it works out...

Looks like you have it sorted!! Nice space ... very
nice space !!
Thanks Trippa, and again for the bump!

Very nice work on the grow room Shane but man what did you do to get that stiff water? Maybe you need a water softner :)
:rofl:

I am a pro at growing water like that. :party:

The grow look like a nice setup. Any idea what the temp would be with out the small space heater?
You low zone growers can grow a ton of that stiff water...but I still have live plants outside! :woohoo: Temps will be around 80 with the lights on...I plan to run the shelves on alternating 12hr cycles so once all the lights are running I won't need the heater. When the weather starts to warm up, I will have to leave the door cracked to cool it down a bit.

Enjoy Vegas, man. You must be close to or in the Poway hills to have ice like that. Grow room looks fantastic, and you get to go to Vegas knowing hooks are a-forming!
We sure did enjoy it! Had some great dealers (and some not so great) and had a bunch of fun with the little lady. We're in the foothills here and our temps run 5-10 degrees cooler than the forecast...

Thanks for stopping by folks!
Shane

HI Shane
I expected you'd be underweigh, and so you are in spectacular fashion! You and Paul have some great grow setups going.
I love the popper tray in the shape of a "Texas Speedbump". Cheers

Whoa you’ve been as busy as an armadillo :D Congrats you’ve set the bar high, your germ rate looks very good and so do the little babies :) BTW nice expansion grow stations, you sure you only won $250, hehe …

Awesome, man! Glad you made it back in one piece and up $250 to boot! That popper station cracks me up...awesome armadillo! Happy to see the seeds made it in one piece. Grow station looks awesome! Hard to believe the construction is reversible.

Rock on, my friend!

Just got caught up on your gro man, its looking great. happy to see hooks and cotys already.

Just to store it away for future reference, how did you treat the ground to protect against virus round 2? is there anything that can be done?

Looking awesome shane. Glad to see some hooks and cotys in that shelf of yours. Looks like you got a ton of light in there. what is the height of your lights like? is in adjustable in your shelving?

HI Shane
I expected you'd be underweigh, and so you are in spectacular fashion! You and Paul have some great grow setups going.
Yup, Texas speed bump! I used to chase them and cotton tails when I was a kid,easier to catch than a cotton tail, but once they get that front end in a hole forget trying to pull the out! Germ/grow station is a work in progress, but its working out pretty good for now!

Whoa you’ve been as busy as an armadillo :D Congrats you’ve set the bar high, your germ rate looks very good and so do the little babies :) BTW nice expansion grow stations, you sure you only won $250, hehe …
Thanks for the compliments...germ rates are still pretty low, but some were quick to sprout! Others will take their sweet time I suppose. Yup, only $250 or my update would be me assembling a nice new greenhouse!

Awesome, man! Glad you made it back in one piece and up $250 to boot! That popper station cracks me up...awesome armadillo! Happy to see the seeds made it in one piece. Grow station looks awesome! Hard to believe the construction is reversible.

Rock on, my friend!
Yes sir, seeds are here and simmering on the heat mat! Bet they'll beat a few of my earlier starts to the punch! I've wanted one of those vertical popper trays for a while but didn't want to spend that kind of $$$...couldn't pass this one up with winnings in my pocket!

Holy crap those magnets are genius!
Nope...they're not smart at all. They got lost in the garage for three days...dumbasses if you ask me! My original plan was to just get enough insulation to cover the shelving and use the magnets to attach it so I could take it off to work in there. That plan morphed into a grow room, and its still changing. I will find some more uses for them in there I am certain.

Just got caught up on your gro man, its looking great. happy to see hooks and cotys already.

Just to store it away for future reference, how did you treat the ground to protect against virus round 2? is there anything that can be done?
I'll be watching for your start as well jss...mine is moving right along at the speed of smell. As far as the soil, I tried to build a solar cooker for it, but the temps in there never got quite hot enough to sterilize. I also thought about using my turkey fryer to boil the container soil one container at a time and then work it back into the compost pile to get the good critters back in it, but don't think I'm going to do that either...for now I just made a separate compost pile and plan to work it for a couple years. I am going all container this season, and probably next to let the soil rest. I will till a few times and put some black plastic down. I think 2 years is safe from what I've read. Will have to watch out for wild nightshade which can carry it and keep it alive in the soil. I have a ton of it around here.

Looking awesome shane. Glad to see some hooks and cotys in that shelf of yours. Looks like you got a ton of light in there. what is the height of your lights like? is in adjustable in your shelving?
Thanks! The height is about 10 inches from the tops right now and fully adjustable with the chains and the shelves are easily raised and lowered if need be also, so I can adjust from a few inches to almost three feet...almost a meter. I will lower the lights a little once they start forming some true leaves.

LOoking good man! Glad you made it back and are $250 up.
Thanks bro, me too, always a good feeling to be able to put your own money back in your wallet early in Vegas and play with the stuff the house gave you!

Looking good, you have given me a new idea, magnets!
Cheap and easy brother...the way I like it!

Not a lot of news today, but I did have a few more pop...
Couple more Explosive Embers making them 4/7
and
[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]Bhut Jolokia Indian Carbon (Pr0digal_son) 1/4[/background]
[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]Yellow Billy Boy Douglah (SilverSurfer via Coheed via Pr0digal_son) 1/4 [/background]

[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]Many more to come soon I hope...germ rates better in one tray than the other, I will have to double check temps in that one to try to make sure its good...[/background]

[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]Thanks for stopping by everyone, [/background]
[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]Shane[/background]

Back from Vegas up about $250 on the trip, minus room, food, gas and entertainment...trip paid for itself! Had a blast, just momma and I. Browsed the gift shop on the way out of the hotel and came across this...
P1020755.jpg

Very true Rick LOL. I had a girl friend when I was in college who was from Lousianna. Her dad was a very interesting character who loved playing the Cajun and to him an Armidillo was a Opossum on the Half Shell.

Shane, if I ever wind up where I have to start indoors, I'm goinng to remember that light plugged into the power strip trick. That's a keeper right there!

Shane, if I ever wind up where I have to start indoors, I'm goinng to remember that light plugged into the power strip trick. That's a keeper right there!

They sure do work...easy, flexible and fairly cheap compared to other lighting options! Although I am starting to see the price of some pretty nice T5 fixtures coming down to reasonable prices.

Germination as of this morning:

Wilds
[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]Tepin 15 (seed train 2012)[/background][background=rgb(255, 244, 228)] [/background][background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]0/4[/background]
[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]Pequin Chiapas (Griff87) 0/2[/background]
[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]Bird Aji (Seed Train 2012)[/background][background=rgb(255, 244, 228)] [/background][background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]0/4[/background]
[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]Cumari (Romy6)[/background][background=rgb(255, 244, 228)] [/background][background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]0/4[/background]
[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]PI 438638 ([/background][background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]Romy6[/background][background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]) [/background][background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]2[/background][background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]/4[/background]

Annuum
[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]Jamaican Hot Yellow (My Seed)[/background]
[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]Goat's Weed (My seed) [/background]1/4
[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]Explosive Ember (My seed) [/background]5/7
[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]Tri-color Variagata (Seed Train 2012) 0/1[/background]
[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]Numex Centennial (the next seed train) [/background]4/8

Pubescens
[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]Ultra Pube PI 585266 (SocalChilehead)[/background][background=rgb(255, 244, 228)] [/background][background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]0/4[/background]
[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]Manzano (farmer's market)[/background][background=rgb(255, 244, 228)] [/background][background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]0/4[/background]

Baccatum
[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]Yellow Aji from Peru (Paul G)[/background][background=rgb(255, 244, 228)] [/background][background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]0/4[/background]

Chinense
[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]Giant Twisted Chocolate Hab (CMPMAN 1974 Via Pr0digal_son)[/background][background=rgb(255, 244, 228)] [/background][background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]0/4[/background]
[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]St Marteen Marigot Mkt Yellow Scotch Bonnet (Pic1)[/background][background=rgb(255, 244, 228)] [/background][background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]0/4[/background]
[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]Jamaica Scotch Bonnet (Pic1)[/background][background=rgb(255, 244, 228)] [/background][background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]0/4[/background]
[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]Belize City Scotch Bonnet (Pic1) [/background][background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]0/4[/background]
[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]Fatalii (Pulpiteer) 0/4[/background]

The Supers
[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]Yellow Billy Boy Douglah (SilverSurfer via Coheed via [/background][background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]Romy6[/background][background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]) [/background]1/4
[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]Yellow Cardi Scorpion (Romy6) [/background]2/4
[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]Yellow 7 Pot Brain Strain (Unknown Source probably the next seed train???) 0/4[/background]
[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]Yellow 7 Pot (Pr0digal_son) 0/4[/background]
[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]7 Pot Brain Strain (Romy6 [/background][background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]Had some from Jamie and got some more from PaulG[/background][background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]) 0/4[/background]
[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]7 Pot Congo SR (CMPMAN 1974 via Pr0digal_son) 0/4[/background]
[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]7 Pot White (SocalChilehead) 0/4[/background]
[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]7 Pot Monster Infinity (gnslngr) 0/4[/background]
[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]7 Pot Primo (MGold via PaulG) 0/4[/background]
[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]Douglah (Pr0digal_son) 0/4[/background]
[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]Trinidad Scorpion Moruga (Bakers Peppers) [/background]1/4
[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]Bhut Jolokia Indian Carbon (Pr0digal_son) [/background][background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]2/4[/background]
[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]7 Pot Barrackpore (DocNrock[/background][background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]) 0/4[/background]
[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]HP22B aka Carolina Reaper (DocNrock[/background][background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]) 0/4[/background]
[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]7 Pot Rennie (Aramac I think via KingDenniz) 0/2[/background]

[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]...and for the heck of it, I planted 12 seeds in 4 pellets from a Pomegranate I pulled from a roadside plant to raise up for potential Bonsai projects and to plant a couple in the yard. So 0/12 on those.[/background]

[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]Well...I finally pulled my [/background][background=rgb(255, 244, 228)] the rest of my 2012 plants in spite of a couple of them still doing well. I wanted to go ahead and get them gone to prevent me spreading the virus from them to my newbies...here are a few pics and my final 2012 harvest shots.[/background]

P1020783_zps728801a2.jpg

Here is my Bird Aji (Wild Brazil) finally dropped its blooms, but in spite of a couple nights in the mid to upper 20's it was still rockin. These guys will overwinter on my porch no problem if I can keep them healthy!

P1020785_zps749b93be.jpg

Here is a Goat's Weed in the same large container. You can see the leaf discoloration from the virus. I had two of these and that is 1.5 more than anyone needs! I will never again grow cayennes. These guys beat them in heat, flavor, production, heartiness and are a stunning plant. Another one that would overwinter here no problem even with some light freezes.

P1020790_zpsf0d3cb35.jpg

Red Lantern Hab

P1020786_zps3eb6f5a9.jpg

Jamaican Hot Yellow, this guy is done. I was trying to let the pods ripen on the plant, but it finally had enough. Greg...if you read this and have seeds for a similar JHY please let me know if we can work something out! These guys are an annuum with blistering heat and a touch of chinense flavor in there. Another one of my favorites last season.

P1020788_zpscbb69c68.jpg

Here is the almost 2ft taproot on my inground Manzano plant. I pulled it up by hand so this root could have been another foot or more long.

P1020789_zps2967af85.jpg

Here is one of the lateral roots off the same Manzano...14" or so with more left in the ground. I would estimate the rootball on this plant to have been around 3'ft across and about 3ft deep...amazing!

P1020792_zps563f0d19.jpg

Another root system that shocked me was on this tiny Aji Omnicolor plant. This one was also pulled by hand so the root ball was much larger than what came up...

FInally for the very last 2012 money shots. I cleaned the plants of all worth keeping, and although it was a far cry from the summer-fall harvests I was blessed with last year, it was a nice season ender...
P1020793_zps2b8495a2.jpg

Some Bird Aji(Wild Brazil), Aji Limons and on the left are Pequin Chiapas...the Pequins are some sort of cross. HUGE in comparison to regular pequins and boxy in shape. They have a hint of chinense flavor and blistering heat for an Annuum. I got the seeds from Griff last year, and only had two remaining. I saved some seeds from these in case I can't get the others to come up. This one I will attempt to sanitize of the virus if I have to. If I do get one or both of the others to germinate. I plan to try to push them all the way to production in the grow room to ensure they stay clean until I can harvest some seeds.

P1020795_zpsf129e928.jpg

Here we have some Aji Omnicolor, Jamaican Hot Yellow, and Purple Bhuts. The Virus made the Purple Bhut ripen with a cool mottled purple/red.

P1020798_zps2caff3d4.jpg

Finally we have some Jals, Goat Weed and a few tiny Red Lantern Habs...The red lantern hab was the only chinense still hanging in there with the cold temps.

The plants have all been pulled now, and are in the refuse cans to be taken away and the yard sanitation has begun. I did the best I could to scavenge all the fallen pods around the yard and mowed with the bagger to try to get the rest up. I will hit the area with a broad leaf weed killer prior to plant out and every few weeks after that to prevent volunteers from party crashing...I know its not the organic way to go, but I don't want to chance missing even one of the little buggers.

Thanks for checking in everyone!
Shane

Back