• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

STC3248, Just Another Grow Log! Holiday Harvest!

Still waiting on the supers...but the rest are sprouted and under lights. This will be my first attempt at supers. Fingers crossed. I am so lost in the labels. I don't know how some of you keep them all straight??? I know I got most of them right...but had a couple random seeds pop up under the starter pellets...lolEdit: This was my STARTING listJalapenoBlack CobraMucho Nacho JalapenoBellPoblanoCaribbean RedChocolate HabaneroAnaheimCayenneTrinidad ScorpionBhut Jolokia Red/Yellow/Chocolate/White/PurpleFataliPequin ChiapasAmigo Diablo Bombay MorichDorset NagaLg Yellow 7 Pot7 Pot RedDouglahBishops Crownand OrnamentalsHere is the FINAL revised list! lol yeah right! Got some slow movers on here...GREEN: planted last night 3 February...didn't soak, so they may take a bit longer than normalORANGE: Planted 25 JanuaryBLUE: Planted 13 JanuaryBLACK: Planted 5 JanuaryFish 0/2Wild Brazil (Cumari) 0/2Tepin 0/2Aji Omnicolor 0/2Yellow Scotch Bonnet 0/2Goccia d'Oro 0/2Red Lantern Habanero 0/2Brain Strain 0/2Billy Boy Douglah 0/2Peruvian White Bullet Hab 0/2Kaval F-1 0/27 Pot Primo 0/27 Pot Monster Infinity 0/2Devil's Tongue Brown 0/2Bhut Jolokia Orange 0/2Black Naga 1/2Bhut Jolokia Purple 4/4 Bhut Jolokia White 4/4 Bhut Jolokia Red 4/4Bhut Jolokia Yellow 2/4 :whistle:Bhut Jolokia Chocolate 4/4 7 Pot Red 4/4 7 Pot Lg Yellow 4/4 Fatali 4/4 Chocolate Hab 4/4 Bishops Crown 4/4 Pequine 4/4 Trinidad Scorpion 3/4Established Plants:Caribbean Red x5Black Cobra x6Jalapeno x6Mucho Nacho Jalapeno x8Cayenne x6Bell x4Poblano x3Anaheim x3
SD530668.jpg
SD530717.jpg
SD530719.jpg
My 10 year old is responsible for the artwork on the cups!

I like that container.....looks military and heavy duty. I'm glad somebody else puts more than one plant in a container.......I do
Never grew the "Wild Brazilian" lady,...or had the chance to date one...........lol
But after seeing a photo on "Trippa's" glog, that chili looks cool. The kind that gets picked and eaten while walking through the garden. I do grow the "Peruvian White Hab" and that's a good one. It's not the easiest to germinate, though

Greg

Glad the hardening is working well for you so far. Mine is doing pretty good as well. Except the stupid bhut jolokia keeps drooping after 2 hours. All the other plants are developing a nice waxy coat to the leaves, but the bhut seems to be taking longer. Haven't had any burn yet though. I'm leaving them out for 4 hours in direct sun today. We'll see how it goes.

Plants are looking great shane. Keep it up!

I'd vote for a white hab, since I couldn't get mine
to germinate and I'd like to see one grow! Otherwise,
I don't know anything about peppers : )

I like that container.....looks military and heavy duty. I'm glad somebody else puts more than one plant in a container.......I do
Never grew the "Wild Brazilian" lady,...or had the chance to date one...........lol
But after seeing a photo on "Trippa's" glog, that chili looks cool. The kind that gets picked and eaten while walking through the garden. I do grow the "Peruvian White Hab" and that's a good one. It's not the easiest to germinate, though

Greg
Yeah...I think I'll enjoy all the wilds as much or more than my supers. Each of them are really cool looking little plants so far to. I hope they spill out of that old military container on all sides. I already have 2 of the white habs up and running! It did take some effort to get them to pop. I have read it grows low and bushy which is why I was thinking of adding it to the container, is that accurate? I'll go comb through Trippa's glog for the pics of the Wild Brazil...

Glad the hardening is working well for you so far. Mine is doing pretty good as well. Except the stupid bhut jolokia keeps drooping after 2 hours. All the other plants are developing a nice waxy coat to the leaves, but the bhut seems to be taking longer. Haven't had any burn yet though. I'm leaving them out for 4 hours in direct sun today. We'll see how it goes. Plants are looking great shane. Keep it up!

So far so good! The sun still isn't the issue...its the damn pests! I have off tomorrow, so I will be giving the ones I have hardening a bigger dose of sunshine tomorrow myself.

I'd vote for a white hab, since I couldn't get mine to germinate and I'd like to see one grow! Otherwise, I don't know anything about peppers : )

I got two pods from gnslngr and of the 8 or so viable looking seeds I only got two to pop. Once they get up and running you can write your own ticket with anything I got going my friend! I will even make sure to use Greg's stocking fetish to ensure purity!

Now for the best news!!! I received the package from Jamie today...
P1000668.jpg

I like to call it my little box of heaven from hell!

I sampled one of the African Tunisians which are the larger smooth red ones in the upper right and one of the Yellow Cardi Scorpions (the one on the lower left). My first Scorpion woot!
P1000669.jpg

Only 2 freakin seeds in there! I saved them anyway. At this point I had only eaten the little "tail" had a very chinense(y) flavor and not much heat...YET!

P1000671.jpg

Tunisian...0 heat great flavor! Nice and crisp and sweet but not too fruity. Cardi...pretty freakin HOT!!! I ate small bites with dinner and I was sweating a bit by the time it was all said and done. The heat was pretty intense as I approached the stem but not unbearable and was really a nice even burn. The flavor was stronger than I expected but not too overpowering. It definitely has a habanero type chinense flavor, but a little sweeter. I hope there are more seeds in the other 2 Cardis...Don't know what all I will taste tomorrow?!?!?! I think I will start with some of the surprise powders he through in there on my eggs in the morning....mmmmmmm. Then maybe a 7 pot but which one Red, Yellow or Brain? Talk about terrible decisions to have to make!

Off tomorrow, so stand by for Serial Glog Posts Pr0d!
Shane

Glad the pods made in it one piece. :woohoo: It is amazing how fast the mail from Florida to Cali is. But when I send something to North Carolina it takes just as long if not longer. You West coast guys must have better mail ladies :rofl:

Can't wait to here your review on the red 7's. Oh and I wil send you some yellow cardi seeds if the other pods come up empty as well. :P

Seems to me you are going to have some retry sick hybrids out of that box... Make sure you save seeds...

White jab or Bhut or 7 pot has my vote :)

I have been beaten by my iPhones auto correct... That was supposed to be hab. lol

The Peruvian Hab does grow low... mine grow about 1 1/2 ft tall but 3 ft in lateral direction. Almost like it was sheared, "flat top" shape.
Nice score on the pods!

Greg

I got two pods from gnslngr and of the 8 or so viable looking seeds I only got two to pop. Once they get up and running you can write your own ticket with anything I got going my friend! I will even make sure to use Greg's stocking fetish to ensure purity!

Off tomorrow, so stand by for Serial Glog Posts Pr0d!

Shane

Hey, Shane! You are too kind, my friend, thank you very much for the offer.
I'll be praying :pray: for those white habs to grow like crazy! I think I will try the
stocking trick this year myself. It would be nice to know that pod seeds are
not results of crosses unless one wants to cross 'em.

Enjoy your day off, my friend. Which one of you will do the serial updating?

It feels like Christmas when you get one of Jamie's packages! Nice assortment there, and I enjoyed reading your reviews!

Couple of questions for you. How many gallons are the pots lining the side of your pool? Will they stay in those, or eventually be potted up in something larger?

:D buon appetito!
Indeed!

Glad the pods made in it one piece. :woohoo: It is amazing how fast the mail from Florida to Cali is. But when I send something to North Carolina it takes just as long if not longer. You West coast guys must have better mail ladies :rofl:

Can't wait to here your review on the red 7's. Oh and I wil send you some yellow cardi seeds if the other pods come up empty as well. :P
Mail does move pretty well across country these days. I am a little nervous about those...but I have some of each going, and I am super curious so I am going to have to just bite the bullet I guess (yeah that was lame but intentional) I am done seed searching for a while, but I may hit you up at the end of the season.

Seems to me you are going to have some retry sick hybrids out of that box... Make sure you save seeds...

White jab or Bhut or 7 pot has my vote :)

I have been beaten by my iPhones auto correct... That was supposed to be hab. lol
I think the wild brazil would be an interesting cross with the peruvian white hab...I may do that one intentionally just to see.

The Peruvian Hab does grow low... mine grow about 1 1/2 ft tall but 3 ft in lateral direction. Almost like it was sheared, "flat top" shape.
Nice score on the pods!

Greg
I went for it...I put the white hab and the goat's weed in there this morning. They are small and already overcrowded, but that's kind of the point. Hope it works like I have it pictured in my head. I am really hoping for all the low growers pooling around a 5 ft goat's weed tree in the center. I have 2 more of those containers and I may do the same sort of thing with them as well. Think they would also work really well for dedicating to 1 variety of annuum and stuffing 6 of them in there.

Hey, Shane! You are too kind, my friend, thank you very much for the offer.
I'll be praying :pray: for those white habs to grow like crazy! I think I will try the
stocking trick this year myself. It would be nice to know that pod seeds are
not results of crosses unless one wants to cross 'em.

Enjoy your day off, my friend. Which one of you will do the serial updating?

They are doing well so far! Just moved that one little guy out, and the other one is still under the lights. I am really going to have to screw up to not get at least one pod...which isn't out of the realm of possible.

It feels like Christmas when you get one of Jamie's packages! Nice assortment there, and I enjoyed reading your reviews!

Couple of questions for you. How many gallons are the pots lining the side of your pool? Will they stay in those, or eventually be potted up in something larger?

Here come Jamie-clause!!! Delicious! getting ready to try those powders this morning.

Those are in 5 gallon containers, and they are staying in them for the season. The ones I really like will get cut back and overwintered and then probably be in the ground next year.

I think your planter box is great idea; it should make a great garden display!
Have fun with Jamie's care package!

Good stories from today...every one of my chinenses are now budding out! Most advanced is the Red Bhut...
P1000681.jpg

Growth is really good in spite of the ugliness. This ruler is missing about an inch and a half off one end.
P1000680.jpg

Bishop's Crown

P1000679.jpg

Chocolate Bhut

Annuums still kicking in spite of the damp soil. Soil is starting to dry out some and the color is slowly returning to my plants...
P1000678.jpg

Mucho Nacho

P1000677.jpg

Another Mucho Nacho...this one was the one on the limb that the dogs snapped off. I propped it up and used some painters tape on the wound and it appears to be doing well...although this WAS the largest pod I had and it seems to have stalled out.

I think your planter box is great idea; it should make a great garden display! Have fun with Jamie's care package!
Thanks Paul! That may be one of the updates from me myself or I today! I am having something that resembles fun and torture with Jamie's pods!

The next couple pics are from this morning's breakfast...
P1000673.jpg

P1000674.jpg

That is a small can of super strength whoop ass on the plate!
Edit: changed pepper name. Mis-ID'd
Dorsett Naga review...Ok...so I was a bit nervous to start this one, but I went for it anyway. Once again small bites with the meal as I gain the confidence to attempt a whole pod. The chinense flavor of this guy was stronger than I hoped. The Yellow Cardi last night was a tad sweeter/fruitier than this guy but had quite a bit less of the chinense flavor going on. My pallet may not be quite as sophisticated as some folks on here, but this dude tasted a lot like an extra strength orange hab the only difference would be a little less fruity.

Now for the good part...the heat. Started out not terrible as I worked from the pointy end back toward the stem. My slices were about the thickness of a typical Jalapeno ring. The heat doesn't hit right away like a pequin it builds for a few minutes. The second bite was MUCH hotter and hit one side of my tongue and the throat a bit....Once I took the third bite, the rest was all the same. The building was done and it was just hot now. Tongue, lips and throat felt the worst. I was sweating profusely and shaking just a little as I finished my meal and the pepper. Unfortunately the nice Mexican Powder that I had added to my omelet was completely overpowered and I really can't comment on the taste...I'm sure its delicious, maybe I will try it with my lunch.

The burn had good hang time to, It took about 10 minutes to fade. Once again not unbearable...but pretty freaking hot! Unfortunately I wasn't a huge fan of the strong chinense flavor. Maybe I will change my mind as I have a few more. They also tasted like a good flake/powder/sauce candidate. Might go well with a mango/pineapple based sauce. Or in a typical carrot/onion/garlic based sauce for morning eggs. I'll have to eat another one to figure out what they go with!

Hmmmm which one is next??? If I decide to do a vid it will probably be with the Brain...we'll see. One thing I've noticed is you can't really look cool eating a super. At least not for very long.

Man I love your glog i just started 3 weeks ago I will post some pics soon I've grown some habaneros from lowes but 3 weeks ago I started from seeds (super hots).
Keep up the good work.
P.S. I see you like shiner bock (me too especially with a steak) I thought you could only get it here in texas

Oh where are my manners
hello every one new to this great site

Okay. You're a stud! I'm afraid I have to eat my hot stuff mixed with food,
or pickled, or... I don't know if i could eat a whole hottie or not. I enjoyed
your description anyway! I'm not much of a cook, so I'm **** out of luck,
I guess. I hope that's cooking oil on the plate, not capsaicin oil :fireball:

Wow, bhut pods. My chinense varieties have yet to start branching at the top,
so am a ways from buds, yet. Looking really good down in your end of the coast, Shane!

@ ecoronel - You need to post in the welcome forum so more folk will get
to know you. :welcome: from the pacific NorthWest, and good growing.

Man I love your glog i just started 3 weeks ago I will post some pics soon I've grown some habaneros from lowes but 3 weeks ago I started from seeds (super hots).
Keep up the good work.
P.S. I see you like shiner bock (me too especially with a steak) I thought you could only get it here in texas

Oh where are my manners
hello every one new to this great site
Eco...I am honored to have been your first post! I am from TX lived all over. Parents born and raised in Beaumont, my sister lived in the Spring/Woodlands area and I have family down in Sugarland as well. I've live from El Paso to McAllen but spent most of my time just north of Corpus in Aransas Pass. I've found Shiner all over the country! They carry it here in Cali, Florida and Maryland for sure...My great Aunt lived in Shiner on a small farm/ranch of maybe a couple hundred acres with the best catfish pond I have ever fished. The only thing that rivals their beer is their sausage.

Okay. You're a stud! I'm afraid I have to eat my hot stuff mixed with food,
or pickled, or... I don't know if i could eat a whole hottie or not. I enjoyed
your description anyway! I'm not much of a cook, so I'm **** out of luck,
I guess. I hope that's cooking oil on the plate, not capsaicin oil :fireball:

Wow, bhut pods. My chinense varieties have yet to start branching at the top,
so am a ways from buds, yet. Looking really good down in your end of the coast, Shane!

@ ecoronel - You need to post in the welcome forum so more folk will get
to know you. :welcome: from the pacific NorthWest, and good growing.
Wasn't pretty, but I got it down...Still battling the pests, but they're really loving the sun. 10 day forecast has highs in the 70-80 degree range everyday.

Plants are looking great Shane! I almost want to get a Mucho Nacho now!! :)
I am so tempted to eat one, but want them to be as ripe as possible so I get the best flavor/heat I can out of them for an honest assessment. Very easy to grow, and producing better than my overwinters already. Great plant, just hope the flavor is up to snuff! So far I highly recommend them.

So I pulled all my Cayenne pods due to them starting to lag a bit and since they've been struggling with the weather. We have got a really good run of temps in the forecast so I wanted them to be able to take full advantage of it. They were all just starting to change anyway, so timing was almost right. Got them in the window to finish reddening up. I was tempted to pull all my annuum pods for the same reason, but couldn't bring myself to do it.

I converted another container to planter. This one is a little shallower than the first one I think it may hold 30ish gallons, pics inbound soon...

Now for the continued saga of me vs. the Jamie care package..
So the small ones in the upper left were referred to as "mystery peppers" at a glance they look very annuumish, but a close inspection reveals a small stem cap hmmm...chinense??? So they don't look that hot right? My daughter's 16yo boyfriend is over, they made themselves some quesadillas and he was testing out some of my Jalapeno flake on his. So in a jackass moment I say "I have just the thing!" I handed him one of those small peppers and now I feel like an a$$hole! He started pouring sweat and chugging milk. So I tried one...not bad, had an annuum almost Jalapeno initial flavor followed by a hint of chinense and a little bitterness. Heat really wasn't bad so I told him not to mess with the other peppers, advise which he gladly agreed to heed. As I walked off the burn was building a little, but still not too hot. My daughter asked if I wanted the other half of the pepper he tried, and by this time I had a pretty solid burn going on but I ate it anyway. Then I went outside where I could hide the sweat on my forehead. That little pepper isn't near as hot as the 7 pot I had this morning, but it was pretty damn potent!

Jamie if you read this do tell about this little pepper! Very interesting...

Thanks for reading folks!
Shane

I chopped one of those mystery peppers up in a taco, and was surprised by the amount of kick it had. Jamie will probably say they don't have any heat, LOL!!!

Shane and Bonnie. I wish I could tell you what those peppers are. They have a small kick to them. Very tasty and the plants has tons of pods all the time. I have posted pics of the pant but nobody has even made a guess on it. I would put it up there with a super hot cayenne in heat and flavor of a tobacso( not nearly as hot as a tobasco IMO) . All side of tounge burn. Makes a great salsa or hot sauce with some papaya and lime juice.

Here is a pic of the guy. He is one of my inground plants. Time to get more plants in the ground. They are so much easier to deal with.

IMG_2944.jpg

This pic was taken about 3 months ago right after we had are only freeze. He is all slunched over from the blanket I put on him. He is now a foot taller. About the same height as myself 5 foot 9. :dance:

Glad you are enjoying some east coast peppers! The brain will get you good.

Back