• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

stc3248's 2014 small wild grow

Well...after much debate between mama and I, WE (she) have come to the conclusion that I may have grown a few too many plants the past few seasons??? :whistle:  :crazy:

2012 I grew out about 70 plants not including the huge number of ornamental peppers which about doubled that number. I didn't regularly harvest the ornamental plants so I ain't counting those...and in spite of some virus issues I was able to put together an epic season. So epic in fact that I had to purchase a chest freezer to store all the excess pods for future processing. 
gallery_5729_53_989628.jpg

Here is one 2012 pull...I had numbers like this EVERY weekend! My season started (too) early and lasted until Christmas that year. I finally finished processing them just before I started pulling pods from my 2013 plants...

2013 was a "smaller" grow and in spite of my best efforts to keep the target of 20 keepers I promised the wife...I still ended up with over 50 plants. The "problem" in 2013 was...I really had no problems. My plants stayed healthy which meant...even more and bigger pulls...
8jOj6q7.jpg

A 2013 pull...

1vMnn2m.jpg

and another...

The hits once again kept on coming. Every weekend...thousands of pods. Which is a great freaking problem to have, but not according to mama. :stop:

So this year is gonna be a real deal small grow. I have talked her into letting me grow out 5 plants all of which are awesome wilds that I am super excited about. All 5 varieties are from John (Pr0digal_son) I have so many cool varieties left in the seed bank, but they'll have to wait until I have more time to dedicate to my garden and family. 

For the past two years I have been a "geobachelor" which is a military term for folks that are stationed away from their families. I am only home on weekends...so dedicating so much of my few days home for the past two years to my grow has really been kinda selfish. 

All that being said, I am still a grow addict...so I have talked her into allowing a few more "must have" varieties. So to my 5 wilds I will be adding a couple staple varieties...oh and wait, I am overwintering 7 plants...well really 11 but 4 are just ornamentals for Bonchi plants. :rofl:

One overwinter is my growdown winner Birgit's Locoto...
Q8uHT1O.jpg

Official measurement for the contest was just over 11' tall. Seeds started on Valentines Day and final measurement on Halloween...fun contest. Haven't seen a growdown posted for this season??? Keep your eyes peeled folks, tons of fun!!!

Here is the list for 2014...
MnXBZ8B.jpg

Well not really a list as much as a photo...started 4 seeds each.

eXv4Twj.jpg

Soaked overnight...

7WH0E4w.jpg

Into peat pellets...

WrS7b9L.jpg

and set in the magic temp zone on the heat mat...

WPdRxsr.jpg

I verify temps using a meat thermometer and will monitor until It stays in the right temp area. 

8TA4kJ7.jpg

Temps slowly climbing for now...and there won't be much to report on for a while. These varieties are notorious for slow germination.

C. Tovarii 0/4
C. Exile Chacoense 0/4
C. Eximium 0/4
C. Galapagoense 0/4
Huge Rocopica 0/4

To those awesome varieties add the overwinters:
Birgits Locoto (3)
Romy Mystery Plant (2)
Pequin (1)
Goat's Weed (1)
Manzano (2) (still alive, but not attempting to overwinter...not gonna kill them on purpose though!!!)

I will also be sarting some Jals (Mucho Nacho) and Numex Big Jim's a bit later.

Here are links to my past two season's glogs...in case you're bored and have about a week to try to get through them both.
2012: http://thehotpepper.com/topic/27268-stc3248-just-another-grow-log-holiday-harvest/?hl=%20stc3248%20%202012
2013: http://thehotpepper.com/topic/36599-stc3248-2013-grow-log-seasons-greetings-and-seasons-end/

It for now folks...welcome to 2014!!! I will update when I can and show my growroom and the progress of the rest of the overwinter plants...Thanks for looking in, there are a ton of glogs this year! 

EOD, had a buddy back on Ft Stewart that was EOD. Every night when he got home his wife would hold a finger and toe inspection. If he had 10 and 10 he got a kiss :)

It's great that the kids will be stabilized for another 3 years. I was able to keep my kids stabilized for the last 6 years of my career and it made a big difference to them.

How's the Pomegranate doing? That's going to be so cool if you can get it to make a sphere!

Cheers 

So, I had to look up EOD - that's dealing with explodey things, right?  I'm thankful you guys are willing to sacrifice like that - your family too.  Glad your family gets to stay put for awhile.  I imagine that is one of the bigger stresses for you with any sort of change - how it affects them.  Keep safe Shane!

Thanks errybody! For those asking, my next job is sea duty, but we'll be more of a fly away team. Our primary duty will be to use remote submersibles to chart and document harbor floors. Pretty cool stuff, but I will be gone a lot.

It's been super hot here lately, over 100 pretty much every day this week. To add to the heat we had Santa Anna winds up over 70 mph and my drip system went down just after I left for almost two weeks...plants looked terrible when I got back, but I don't think I lost any. I watered them yesterday and they perked up, but with some pretty obvious damage done. The Jals and Green Chiles took it like a champ...as did the volunteer on crack. Here are a few pics of how things look. 
z3TZ4M6.jpg

The volunteer and the volunteer on crack growing like weeds...literally.

HULwEzM.jpg

This is one of the Jalafuegos...their growth is very fast and sturdy...and the production looks like it'll be good too, but

FF4JEyr.jpg

The Mucho Nachos which aren't quite as quick to grow look like they'll be heavier producers. I grew these year before last and they were very productive. I suppose time will tell which of these hybrids has the edge in heat, production, flavor and resilience.

oK0zCqe.jpg

Here is one of the growdown Aji Chuncho plants starting to pick up a little steam finally...

x9lhAyi.jpg

More volunteers...Explosive Embers

8o65Hp9.jpg

This Chacoense Var. Exile got topped by the wind, going to be a shrub for sure. Took a while for these to pop, but they're growers for sure. 

Mj6ZsKi.jpg

Another grower is the CGN 19198. Very cool little plant. I thought it was a goner yesterday before I watered it, but it stood tall.

DKvI7u7.jpg

First pods are also setting on the Numex types...this one being a Joe E. Parker.

Y8DxCRQ.jpg

Here is a patch of the Numex's...Joe E. Parker and Big Jims...with a Fat Tire for scale...and for drinkin.

YJPFyz8.jpg

This volunteer Charapita will round out the first 10 pics...still kicking, and although small not too far off from putting it in the ground on the drip system that is once again operational. 

Thanks for checking in folks. Got some bonus pics to post later on.

Glad they hung while the water system had a hiccup!

Overall they look pretty damn good!

Have a great weekend and welcome back!

+1 on the save.
Must be some tough plants to make it through that.
And they set some poddage to boot. 

Fat Tire has  a new label?

Volunteers?  Have you bribed Andy's boss?  
That's too awesome, Shane.
Your 'little wild' grow is looking good!

Let's average out our temperatures this week, and we'll be perfect 80's!

I'm still kicking errybody! Been out of town for a WHILE...but got back on Sunday. I finally snapped a few of what's going on. A month with only a handful of days home has the weeds taking over, but overall pretty good. To make matters worse...the internet has been down hard for a couple weeks at the barracks, they finally got it fixed yesterday. The fires were knocking at the doorstep, while I was gone...and mama and the kids were freaking out a little. At one point they were burning on all sides of our house, but our address stayed just outside the evacuation zone. 

Devv said:
Glad they hung while the water system had a hiccup!

Overall they look pretty damn good!

Have a great weekend and welcome back!
One casualty from the previous water system failure appears to be the big Birgits...it got funky and isn't pulling out. I may cut her way back and see if she comes back, but it ain't looking too good. No biggie, I didn't wanna have to climb up there to pick them anyway.

Dot Com said:
plants looking prolific. A lot of pods setting.
Thanks Dot! There moving right along in spite of my crazier than normal schedule!

JJJessee said:
+1 on the save.
Must be some tough plants to make it through that.
And they set some poddage to boot. 

Fat Tire has  a new label?
I don't remember when Fat Tire changed it...but it is different??? Thanks on the kudos...very lucky.

PaulG said:
Volunteers?  Have you bribed Andy's boss?  
That's too awesome, Shane.
Your 'little wild' grow is looking good!

Let's average out our temperatures this week, and we'll be perfect 80's!
Haha...our weather and the fires have been just plain nuts this year. 60+ MPH winds don't usually happen this time of year, but we sure got them...and the damn heat to go with it. This week we're getting a break with our normal 70 something days and 50 something nights...

Well...like I said, the plants are doing better than expected, so I got no real complaints.
xGMFJrq.jpg

Jalapeno row...

lC2T2o5.jpg

Mucho Nachos are throwing some out...

4mcb7I3.jpg

As are the Jalafuegos which are a bit larger at this point but with a more slender profile. They're both supposedly jumbo types...The Mucho Nachos I grew a couple years ago were bigger than average, but far from jumbo...but they made up for it in production. 

pqP0CGx.jpg

Here is my Numex area. Some of what you see in there with them aren't weeds...but much of it is. I have a few weeks of leave coming up in June, and hopefully I can get them out of there and finally get them mulched.

C1RP82d.jpg

Joe E. Parkers are podding up nicely...

3xAoetd.jpg

But the Big Jims are really going to town...Will be a nice year of roasting and preserving something that isn't a WMD grade biohazard.

t7xZwjq.jpg

The volunteers and the volunteer on crack are still chugging along...with very little help from me. They're begging to bloom and set some pods as well.

vK3BAc1.jpg

Here is the Chacoense Var. Exile from John that got topped...really taking off!

bV8xpHL.jpg

The other Chacoense plant is doing some of this... :dance:
R7G7a9q.jpg

Finally the first wild to set a pod...the Wally World Tepin!!! :party:

It for now...10's the limit. Maybe some more tomorrow. 

Oh...almost forgot, be watching the news. The "device" we were loading out in Kauai at PMRF will be launched tonight. May even make the news??? :shh:

Shane, welcome back, buddy!

Not bad for a long distance grow - Andy is right!

70's and 50's?  We had one of those today!

Really glad to hear that your family was safe, and your home too.

Thanks y'all...this is what I've been up to.

http://www.heraldonline.com/2014/05/21/5983206/aegis-ashore-launches-standard.html

http://www.prnewswire.co.uk/news-releases/aegis-ashore-launches-standard-missile-3-for-first-time-260089281.html

http://www.prunderground.com/natos-missile-defense-system-becomes-real-says-mdaa/0037446/

Very cool...of all the teams worldwide that could have been selected to load this $10,000,000 weapon, mine was chosen. First ever load of a shore based aegis system with this weapon...first ever launch. If I get some pics and vids that I am allowed to share I will post them up.

Very cool new toy the Government gave you to play with.

Peppers are looking good buddy and the volunteers are a hoot. Especially the crack one. Glad you stayed safe from the fires. :eek: Glad we don't deal with that around here.

But the Big Jims are really going to town...Will be a nice year of roasting and preserving something that isn't a WMD grade biohazard.

How in the world were you thinking of preserving them? Surely you must be getting into canning since I know your freezer is still full. :D

Welcome back Shane!

Your grow hung in there really well and is looking good too!

Nice to see all the poddage, although I'm sad to read the birgit is having a rough time.

Great work with the Aegis system too!

Enjoy the break!

Excellent updates Shane! Sorry you had to be away and missed a watering. That is stressful. Glad that the damage was minor. Looks like your chuncho hasn't missed a beat. What are you feeding that guy?

Loving the explosive embers. Almost 50x50 purple/green leaves on that guy. Is it purely ornamental? If so, how do the pods look?

PaulG said:
Feather in your cap, Chief!

No wonder ya been busy!
Yeah Paul, the sweat pumps were flowing full on for this evolution. It had attention at the very highest levels and one of the highest potential causes for failure was actually loading the thing into the launcher. We swing thousands of missiles a year on my base, but to do it in a remote site, with untrained crane and equipment personnel onto a platform that is 30' higher than a ship's deck was worrisome. To top that off, we are not affiliated with the Aegis Ashore facility...so to them we were a variable that needed to be thoroughly investigated prior to the event. They were also a bit concerned that none of us were Gunners Mates or Fire Controllmen..."Minemen...loading our missile???" :shocked:  :think:  :pray:   Lmao...they ended up very impressed and we got an immediate invite to their next event.

Jeff H said:
Very cool new toy the Government gave you to play with.

Peppers are looking good buddy and the volunteers are a hoot. Especially the crack one. Glad you stayed safe from the fires. :eek: Glad we don't deal with that around here.

How in the world were you thinking of preserving them? Surely you must be getting into canning since I know your freezer is still full. :D
Thanks Jeff!!! See above about the toy...as for the peppers, they are really doing well. We had a nice week fire free and relatively cool compared to recent weeks, so the plants had a nice growth spurt. As for the preservation of the Numex Chiles...I roast, peel and seed them and store them in quart freezer bags. That is about the right amount to thaw and use without worry of them going bad. I also ferment and sauce them which is one of the families favorites. I may also make some roasted tomatoes with green chiles and can it for Chile Con Queso...mmmmm.

maximumcapsicum said:
Excellent updates Shane! Sorry you had to be away and missed a watering. That is stressful. Glad that the damage was minor. Looks like your chuncho hasn't missed a beat. What are you feeding that guy?

Loving the explosive embers. Almost 50x50 purple/green leaves on that guy. Is it purely ornamental? If so, how do the pods look?
Thanks MC! Yeah...stuff happens when you run a grow like mine. Little over site means a usually small error has the opportunity to become a disaster before discovered. I really wish someone else in the family would get into gardening...I had hopes for my son, but video games and youtube are his passions when he isn't on the football field. The Explosive Embers are beautiful plants, but their flavor isn't the best...not horrible, but not exactly delicious either. They make decent powder/flakes when mixed with some garlic/onion powders. The pods start off a deep purple and ripen to a fire engine red...very stunning when loaded with pods. 

Aight...so 'nuther little update!!!
8r1Z6VA.jpg

Mucho Nacho pods are starting to get some size to them...with some "companion" Nasturtiums in front and some not companion bermuda grass behind...and in front...and beside...

p3TyMu7.jpg

Jalafugos said..."I'll see your size Mr. Nacho...and raise you an inch or so!" They are both doing exceptionally well!!!

mPTTaDU.jpg

The canopies on the Numex types are starting to really fill out...

wEgmVDj.jpg

and the undercarriage...

and the next wild to set...
80WthI3.jpg

John's Chacoense Var. Exile!!! :dance:

v62tixh.jpg

The "volunteer" (not) PI438438s??? Are loading up also...

B5hyHgq.jpg

Can you spot the little friendly in this pic???

5EWr7x8.jpg

Maters are setting too!!! Only two plants this season, one here and one at the Barracks.

C8IFqHH.jpg

As are the Tomatillos!!!

UhRvY7U.jpg

Finally...everything is now in full bloom around here...Lilies and Gladiolus are really stunning this year. They all volunteered as well!

It for now folks...will try to stay more active on here, still got some craziness going on at work, but hopefully it will all work out soon.

Shane 

Excellent work Chief! Errybody looks happy! Can you tell yet if the companion plantings are working for you?

Things are still pretty cold here at night, but I'm starting to get pods on my NuMex and Hungarian varieties, and Lourens' Piri Piri plant. Your Texas Pequins are about 8 inches tall and looking very green and happy while they wait for warmer weather to kick into higher gear. I managed to successfully OW the Manzano you sent last year, and it's leafed out very well. I think I see the beginnings of flower buds at the nodes, so it should be a great producer this year as well. Cheers!

Back