• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Steamed Crabs Maryland Style

Aaaahhhh! Now I gotcha'. Yessir, I have done blue crabs that way, but mine is water, old bay, and lemons. Squeeze the juice out of the lemon and then toss the lemon in too. Love 'dem crabs.

Cheers, TB.

ohhhhhh king crabs :drooling: :lol:

TB - blue crabs, are these the crabs that they sell whole & are kinda in the 10" shell range w/ small short legs ?
how tasty are blue crabs, it dont look like much for meat in the legs & is there any meat in the body shell ?

I love crabs cooked any style. Same goes for lobster and shrimp and not to mention a good old fashing craw fish boil (southern style).

CH...you are thinkin' of Dungeness crab from your description. Dungy's are excellent crab cocktail, chowder, crabcake fare. Blues I find to have the definitive crab flavor but with a spicy edge to them..big ones are 1/3 less the size of Dungy's. Blue's are generally what is your #1 Lump crab, found in bags, canned or jarred.Also labeled as Blue Swimmer. Best for crab cakes and entree's like Filet Oscar...which is a filet mignon, (make mine medium rare please) topped with asparagus, crab and hollandaise. My favorite is without question king crab, but more specifically red king crab, which I find to be sweeter and cleaner than golden king. Back to blue....still fine seafood there but best either as a cake or combined with another sauce or dish. By themselves in my opinion..just okay...but still better than stone which I find to be bland.
Cheers, TB.

stone crab, dungeness...meh. alright if it's all ya got.

king crab, snow crab...yum!

blue crab........

omg

holy delicious omg it's so gooodd!!!!

Yeah, you may have found a weakness for me. I'm partial to softshell blues. kind of expensive, but oh so good.

fineexampl said:
stone crab, dungeness...meh. alright if it's all ya got.

king crab, snow crab...yum!

blue crab........

omg

holy delicious omg it's so gooodd!!!!

Yeah, you may have found a weakness for me. I'm partial to softshell blues. kind of expensive, but oh so good.

especially when they're fat and filled with that yellow mustard. Steamed crabs, corn on the cob and beer. Thats a great afternoon.

chilehunter said:
ohhhhhh king crabs :drooling: :lol:

TB - blue crabs, are these the crabs that they sell whole & are kinda in the 10" shell range w/ small short legs ?
how tasty are blue crabs, it dont look like much for meat in the legs & is there any meat in the body shell ?

If you have a good size crab, quite a bit of meat in the body. here is a video of the crabs live

DickT said:
If you have a good size crab, quite a bit of meat in the body. here is a video of the crabs live

absolutely. Blue crabs aren't eaten for the legs. It's all about the body meat.

I had a crab salsa down in Cape May this week and it was all body meat from blue crab. Absolutely delicious. Crab, corn, pepper, onion. Little else. Came underneath some blackened/cajun salmon. OMG so good together. :)

TB - yea I may be thinking of Dungeness crabs, but those blue crabs are kinda the same size also (well they look like it to me)

dickt - it still looks like to much work for the ammount of meat from a crab, unless king crabs.

My wife and I went to visit a friend in Glen Burnie Maryland last summer near Baltimore. We had a bluecrab feast cooked that way and besides being messy it was QUITE TASTY!! It was alot of fun and an art ripping those things apart too:lol:. Yeah, I've had it though. Good stuff.

Each year, my brother comes to Florida from Maryland to visit. He cooks up a big cooler full of blue crab, ices it down and brings it with him. He drives with no stops, (more than I am willing to do), and when he gets here, we sit around the cooler, he with beer, me with my tea and we scarf down blue crab until we can't wiggle.

Seriously good stuff!

Once you're good at it, you can clean them at light speed. If it takes more than one minute per/crab, you haven't had enough practice....:lol:

NatGreenMeds said:
Each year, my brother comes to Florida from Maryland to visit. He cooks up a big cooler full of blue crab, ices it down and brings it with him. He drives with no stops, (more than I am willing to do), and when he gets here, we sit around the cooler, he with beer, me with my tea and we scarf down blue crab until we can't wiggle.

Seriously good stuff!

Once you're good at it, you can clean them at light speed. If it takes more than one minute per/crab, you haven't had enough practice....:lol:

The taste is well worth the mess and work to get the meat, I love the claw meat an afterwards a chocolate brownie with vanilla ice cream. :)

rabbit said:
My wife and I went to visit a friend in Glen Burnie Maryland last summer near Baltimore. We had a bluecrab feast cooked that way and besides being messy it was QUITE TASTY!! It was alot of fun and an art ripping those things apart too:lol:. Yeah, I've had it though. Good stuff.

I was a Snap on Tool dealer in Glen Burnie

NatGreenMeds said:

Seriously good stuff!

Yeah, it took a while for the first couple, but one of the guys showed me how to do it and I was doing quite a bit better towards the end.

rabbit said:
Yeah, it took a while for the first couple, but one of the guys showed me how to do it and I was doing quite a bit better towards the end.
If you've never had a crab bisque, you might try it next time you buy some.

Great big chef salad and a nice bowl of bisque.....YUM.

Hell of a lunch.

Back