• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Steamed Crabs Maryland Style

NatGreenMeds said:
If you've never had a crab bisque, you might try it next time you buy some.

Great big chef salad and a nice bowl of bisque.....YUM.

Hell of a lunch.

Especially if it's made from a big horking Blue Crab( or three)......yyyyyyyuuuuuummmmmmmm

Crab bisque? I haven't done it with blues, but have done it with king and dungy. My gal and I both love it! Add some crusty bread and some cold Alaskan Ambers....forget the bowl..get a trough!
Cheers, TB.

After watching your links it led into more you tube and more lol..Thats it im buying some crab lol..The seasoning they are talking about ..cant get it around here...almost impossable to get creaole seasoning around here sheesh

remember that friend i was visiting for the better part of the summer? my last night in maryland she took me for crabs.

crabby.jpg

my first time eating crab in non cake form, the best part might've still been all the "i've got crabs" jokes when they dump the bucket of craps on the table. but she kept saying the old bay seasoning was spicy...

DickT said:
especially when they're fat and filled with that yellow mustard.
yea, what was that? my friend didn't know so i just avoided it...

chilehunter said:
it still looks like to much work for the ammount of meat from a crab, unless king crabs.
i found most crabs gave it up easy, only some made you work for it. i barely needed the mallet...

GrumpyBear said:
remember that friend i was visiting for the better part of the summer? my last night in maryland she took me for crabs.

crabby.jpg

my first time eating crab in non cake form, the best part might've still been all the "i've got crabs" jokes when they dump the bucket of craps on the table. but she kept saying the old bay seasoning was spicy...

yea, what was that? my friend didn't know so i just avoided it...

i found most crabs gave it up easy, only some made you work for it. i barely needed the mallet...

That a girl, old bay is a little spicy ( maybe a few beads of sweat on the back of the neck) you don't want it to be too spicey since the flavor of the meat is so delicate. The yellow mustard is the fat of the crab, and when its nice and yellow, well you just suck it out of the body. Its kind of an art because you don't want to swallow the intestines. I love dipping the claw meat in lemon juice. What part of Maryland were you in.

i was in owings mills, my friend is planning her wedding for next year but isn't super good at talking to people and asking questions, plus she's unclear on the subtleties of haggling (like the fact that you're trying to get the price to go *down*) so i spent most of july there helping (maid of honour obligation...). she's living with her mom until her and her fiance can afford a place and her mom is a bit of a health nut so i was basically subsisting on twigs and berries for the most part. the crab was kind of a 'thank you, you kind of look emaciated, and farewell' dinner

i'll be back early next year...

Back