• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Stefan_W's Great Big Beefy Pepper Adventure: Grow List

Great looking jelly and mega oil on the cutting board. I hope that board is dedicated for peppers. I don't think that oil is coming out of the wood. Alternatively, the board could be instant seasoning for anything you chop on it.

The salsa has a great depth of color....I'd be very happy that also, you used top shelf ingredients, those Brandy's and meaty Beefsteaks put that one over the edge......cool!

I have to admit that I feel guilty using cilantro from the supermarket. Aside from that it is all primo, with garden fresh beefsteaks, brandywines, peppers and garlic. Thanks for compliment!

You've got the processing down pat. The jelly has an appealing color to it. I haven't grown starfish in awhile, but now I have an idea for the Bishops Crown............which haven't made their way into my canning recipes yet...

I have never tried the bishop's crown, how is the taste?

Great looking jelly and mega oil on the cutting board. I hope that board is dedicated for peppers. I don't think that oil is coming out of the wood. Alternatively, the board could be instant seasoning for anything you chop on it.

I have a dedicated knife, cutting board, and stock pot that are only used for peppers. With a sick 6 year old in the house it is definitely a necessity. The big issue for me is with gloves, because it is a huge pain in the butt de-seeding with gloves on.

My daughter is in her third week at the hospital and counting due to extremely serious complications following the end of the treatments for a brain tumour that was discovered this past January, and she is not out of the woods yet. My garden is pretty much dead and will not recover this year, so I am shutting down this glog. No big deal, because I did not expect to even have a garden this year anyway. Please take a moment to send her positive thoughts and wishes for a complete recovery.

She helped me plant every single seed that went in the garden this year. Even though she is only 6, she is my best buddy and we do everything together. Here's hoping she is able to help out with next year's garden.

Thank you so much for all of the positive thoughts. My daughter was released from the hospital yesterday after a five week stay, and it is wonderful to have her home again.

Now on to deal with my dead or dying garden.

The bhuts and tabasco peppers did pretty well all things considered. Thank goodness for the regular rain we've been getting. Posting pictures soon.

I dealt with the tabasco peppers just before my daughter got home because I knew it would fume up the house. I ended up with 150 tabasco pods that were ripe at the same time, with about a hundred left on the plant for next time.

IMG_0387.JPG

I was in a rush, and hoping that there would be few seeds when I cut into them. Wrong.
IMG_0391.JPG

It took 90 minutes to de-seed them, and it sure did not look like a lot of peppers to me.
IMG_0394.JPG

The fumes from boiling were so bad my step daughter had to cover her face to come into the kitchen area. This is them boiling with some garlic I picked from the garden earlier in the year and a mix of 2/3 white vinegar and 1/3 apple cider vinegar.
IMG_0407.JPG

And into the blender it all goes. As I said before, I was in a rush because I needed to shower and head back to the hospital. As a result the garlic was not boiled quite longer enough and it was visible in the final product. No big deal to anyone else, but I am a notorious pick when it comes to things like that.
IMG_0410.JPG

And the final product. I used 2 times the amount of peppers that are suggested due to being too rushed to do multiple batches, so it is twice as hot. The colour and taste are both outstanding.
IMG_0421.JPG

I ended up loving this so much I plan to expand to three or four tabasco plants next year. They take forever to ripen and are a complete pain in the ass to de-seed, but the final product is the tastiest thing that has come out of my garden this year.

A special thanks to all of my friends here for the heart felt messages. It warmed my heart and made things just a little bit less crappy, which is a very welcome thing.

As I mentioned earlier, my garden ended up being mostly trashed because of neglect during my daughter's hospital stay. However, the tabasco and ghost peppers did surprising well along with a few things that really need no attention (e.g. kale, spinach, etc). Here are a couple of pics of the ghost peppers that were taken last week and one at the end that I snapped this afternoon.

Both of my bhut plants were pretty much packed with pods, which was nice to see. They were in decent shape, and the pods were as hot as hell.
IMG_0338.JPG

The smaller plant that I pruned ended up doing way better than the other one, and was loaded down with pods.
IMG_0341.JPG

I ended up picking 104 pods from the two plants, and I left a couple that were mostly green to see if they would ripen more. I had picked about 30 or 40 prior to this, and I lost 7 or 8 to drop. Call it close to 150 pods between the two plants, with the smaller plant producing about a 100 and the other one getting to 50 or so. I couldn't be happier with that, because I was only expecting a dozen or two due to our shorter growing season.
IMG_0374.JPG

This picture was taken this afternoon. As you can see, the bhut pods left on the plant did manage to ripen even though the temps at night are now near zero. I love the colours on this bad boy.
IMG_0457.JPG

If I can manage the time I plan to overwinter the smaller bhut plant as well as my tabasco plant. I also promised the other bhut to a co-worker who loves hot peppers and is used to overwintering his plants.

Thank you for looking at these pictures!

I decided to try overwintering a couple of plants this year. We have a lack of space for them inside, but I am still working on my wife about bringing two more in before the frost hits. Anyway, I took off the last bhut and the last 50 or so tabsasco pods, cut the plants back, and put them in a soilless medium for indoor growing. It is my first time, and hopefully things work out!

The bhut is on the left and the tabasco is on the right. I donated my other bhut to a co-worker who is overwintering it at his house. They are yellowed due to the drop in overnight temps here.
IMG_0494.JPG

Glad to hear about the overwinters. Head start on next year! Looks like you're decorating for Halloween!

Halloween never ends around here.

Yeah, I am looking forward to the overwintering process to see if I can make it work. I had about 50 unripened tabasco pods left on the plant when I brought it in, so a head start would be very welcome.

Thanks for stopping by!

Stefan, Good luck with the overwintering process. Its exciting to watch the new growth appear......all at once. Just one thing to mention, don't fertilize unless you're intending to continue on with the grow. Letting the OW's go semi-dormant for a short period is not a bad idea at all...especially for the Northern growers

Back