• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

StettoGro '19: In For a Dime

76....In English that would be ALMOST TWICE AS DAMNED MANY AS LAST YEAR.

Ah well, Last year I dwelled on downsizing, this year I must have assumed it would be automatic.

I argued with myself over whether to glog at all this year, other than to carry over noobishness from the last two seasons I don't have that much to offer...But everyone loves to see a Zone 3 die-hard gardener scratch and claw his way through a short season!!

Anyhow, this is how my week started---I was particularly proud of my innovative use of the pill caddy.... :idea:

Soakin seeds.jpg

That was the first "load", almost all black seeds. The next day the yellow seeds went in while the black ones found their nests. The sad thing is the seeds I didn't put in; the Paprika and the Urfa Biber and the Aji Limo and the and the and the...Until that damned greenhouse gets itself magically erected I gotta limit myself.

OK, at least one of each Pubescen is going into fivers or larger containers. So will the best of the Pimenta De Neyde x Bonda Ma Jacques and my Sri Lanka Chilli Red competitor and what long season peppers I can. What goes into the 8th acre this year will be treated to a till-less grow, it's at least worth a try. Most of the anuums will be out there.

For what it's worth, here is the current state of my grow....

76 starts.jpg

Pubescens:
CaneDog
Big Apple Red Rocoto--3
Mini Brown Rocoto--3
De Seda Yellow/Orange Rocoto--3
Costa Rica Red Rocoto--3
XL Brown Rocoto--3
Gelbe Riesen Yellow Rocoto--3
Gelbe Riesen Var--3
Arequipa Giant Red Rocoto--3

Greenchilemonster
Giant Yellow Rocoto--3
Turbo Pube--3
Ecuador Red Rocoto---3
Aji Largo Rocoto--3
Large Red Rocoto--1

Chinense:
Greenchilemonster
Aji Arnaucho--2
Papa Dreadie SB--3

PaulG
Pimenta de Neyde x Bonda Ma Jacques Violet F6--3
Pimenta de Neyde x Bonda Ma Jacques White F6--3

Anuum:
Pepper Guru
Sri Lanka Chilli Red Growdown --2
Sri Lanka Chilli Red Off-Pheno (?)--1

Devv
Jimmy Nardello--3

Moruga Welder
Aleppo--3
Antake--2
Antep Aci Dolma--3

Tradewinds Fruit
Big Jim--6
Sante Fe Grande--2

Costco (yup, seeds from store peppers)
Red Bell (for the Darlin' Bride and her stir-fry)--6

I still have the OWs, Aji Amarillo, Aji Mango, Turbo Pube, Large Red Rocoto, Rocoto Rojo (2), Peruvian Red Rocoto (2) Ecuador Red Rocoto, Large Orange Thai, Aji Oro, Rocoto Arequipena, but I didn't want to brag.

Let the love-hate begin! I'm gonna start it with a Voodoo Ranger....

While I'm waiting out the germ, and being as Paul got to start this page :P , I think some repotting is in order...I do have a dozen or so OWs to care for.

This is the Aji Mango (from Geonerd seed a couple seasons ago), which gave me a small bucketful of pods last season, so I'm keeping the same pot, but I thought she might appreciate some new digs and a haircut--Yep, rootbound as it gets. I wish I'd have thought of taking the pic before the haircut, but suffice it to say that the rootball was easily, once fluffed out, twice the size of the plant it fed. It looked like Harpo had an Aji Mango growing out of the top of his head!! :rofl:

...thought I did a rather nice trim job....

Aji Mango Repot1.jpg

My soil du jour is a blend of Schultz Potting Smegma and a Burpee Coco Coir with a 1/3 per volume extra dose of Perlite. I used a shrub soil last year, and it was ok, but had the consistency of what comes out of an ACME wood chipper...She seems happier, perked up nice after the henna rinse....

Aji Mango Repot2.jpg

I really underestimated my soil needs, I wasn't thinking of repotting, only the Solo cups for the babies.

Somebody's gots........Somebody's GOTS....Somebody has to go to the store....

Cuz that Freak Parade done already started.....

That Aji Amarillo is coming up, gonna take a LOT of dirt!

That Aji Mango should produce buckets
for you this season, Eric! That pot will be
full of roots in 4 weeks!

Oh, yeah, those Aji Amarillo can rock a big
pot, alright   :metal: Can't wait to see pix of
her in her full glory this summer!

Well, the Aji Mango is suffering a massive leaf drop this morning, a bit of shock I guess. Better now than in prime growing season...

I have an OW Aji Largo with a very minor aphid infestation, every two or three days I'm picking a couple off the plant. None of the other OWs are affected and I keep the Aji Lago away, at least out of walking distance for an aphid.

Interesting though, I'm only finding the little bastiges on flower buds. Nothing under leaves or on stems or nodes. Is this normal aphid behavior? I can't find any reference to this anywhere...

Anyhow, I'm now hesitant to transplant the Aji Amarillo, though it's overdue. I hate that sense of panic, regardless how temporary...

stettoman said:
Well, the Aji Mango is suffering a massive leaf drop this morning, a bit of shock I guess. Better now than in prime growing season...

Did you use a transplanter or plant starter of some kind?
I find they really lessen the transplant shock.

Well Paul, the new dirt was a blend of coir and Schultshit, both claiming "feeding for 9 months". I also added, like I have to all my Rocoto transplants that AREN'T in shock, a couple tablespoons of Alaska deadfish sauce to the soil mix. If that's what you mean by transplanter, then yes. I think the shock came from an aggressive haircut. The Rocotos weren't so rootbound, the Aji Mango was a brick. But I've dealt with this before, and node regeneration was already fairly robust when I did the deed...

Hey! My first hook, after only 5 days! Someone go tell CaneDog that one of his Gelbe Riesens has popped!!

That was QUICK!!!

stettoman said:
Well Paul, the new dirt was a blend of coir and Schultshit, both claiming "feeding for 9 months". I also added, like I have to all my Rocoto transplants that AREN'T in shock, a couple tablespoons of Alaska deadfish sauce to the soil mix. If that's what you mean by transplanter, then yes. I think the shock came from an aggressive haircut. The Rocotos weren't so rootbound, the Aji Mango was a brick. But I've dealt with this before, and node regeneration was already fairly robust when I did the deed...

Hey! My first hook, after only 5 days! Someone go tell CaneDog that one of his Gelbe Riesens has popped!!

That was QUICK!!!
Keep in mind that if you are using coco coir you have to add extra calcium because the coir absorbs and prevents the distribution of it. Also, for new plants or transplants(even though everyone hates Miracle Grow) you can use MG Quick Start as per label directions. One year I took two plants from seedling to frost in the fall using only that, I had 4+ foot bushy plants that put out pods heavily.
Good luck with the Gelbe Riesen, I only had 1 of 4 germ for me.

skullbiker said:
Keep in mind that if you are using coco coir you have to add extra calcium because the coir absorbs and prevents the distribution of it. Also, for new plants or transplants(even though everyone hates Miracle Grow) you can use MG Quick Start as per label directions. One year I took two plants from seedling to frost in the fall using only that, I had 4+ foot bushy plants that put out pods heavily.
Good luck with the Gelbe Riesen, I only had 1 of 4 germ for me.

Logged and noted, thanks. Solid7 turned me on to CNS17 a couple years ago, I use a lot of that, but I have boxes of MG and Schultz Tomato Food and of course the Alaska stinkstuff, all I've even touched besides what's in their starter soils and potting mixes (hell, Perlite is even nute infused!) is the CNS17 and the fish gut sauce. Quick Start may be the only one I don't have.

I'm really liking the drainage properties of the coir, but I also wasn't paying attention to the destructions as to what detriment coir can create for nutients. I do have the Cal-Mag, and keep a few ounces mixed in a mist bottle. Thanks for that heads up. My potting soil-to-coir-to perlite mix is damn near 33-33-33. The Gelbe Riesen that came up this morning was out of a Root Riot plug.

stettoman said:

That was QUICK!!!

Awesome!  No fun waiting forever for that first sign of life - and looks like a few days of sub-zero didn't slow them down any.  The GR those seeds came from is a beast. Will be surprised if the de seda isn't close behind it.

One of two Peruvian Red OWs to be transplanted. This pic is a before shot, I plan a negligible prune to the rootball this time. The plant itself was pruned back in November, this is a lot of growth, considering the leggy thing was about hip high and I cut her down to +/- 6 inches...

Peruv Red Trans1.jpg

A-a-a-and in the new pot. These smaller pod peppers are getting 12" planters, the big stuffers will be maxed out at 7 gallon air-prune fabric pots, at least that's the plan for now. If the temps don't cooperate, I guess I'll just have to depend on the kind hearts of the membership..... :pray:

Peruv Red Trans2.jpg

A brisk walk to the mailbox has proven to make for a happy dance back to the house! My enablers, PaulG and G.I.P. have added wondrousness and a few more dependants for the season! Thanks so much, guys!

That Serrano powder is an epicurian delight, GIP! I have a pork green chili planned for the next week, this tastes perfect and leaves a neat little buzz on the lips! Is there a retail outlet?

20190304_161512.jpg

A week one update, I decided that pics of cotyledons are boring unless they're blue or have warts, so I'll spare you all. Just an accounting of what's out of the ground already

Pubescens:
CaneDog
Big Apple Red Rocoto--3 XX
Mini Brown Rocoto--3
De Seda Yellow/Orange Rocoto--3 XX
Costa Rica Red Rocoto--3 XX
XL Brown Rocoto--3
Gelbe Riesen Yellow Rocoto--3
Gelbe Riesen Var--3 X
Arequipa Giant Red Rocoto--3 X

Guatemalan Insanity Pepper
Ecuadoran Sweet Rocoto--2
Pineapple Rocoto--2

PaulG
Peruvian Red Rocoto--2

Greenchilemonster
Giant Yellow Rocoto--3 X
Turbo Pube--3
Ecuador Red Rocoto---3
Aji Largo Rocoto--3 X
Large Red Rocoto--1

Chinense:
Greenchilemonster
Aji Arnaucho--2 XX
Papa Dreadie SB--3 X

PaulG
Pimenta de Neyde x Bonda Ma Jacques Violet F6--3 X
Pimenta de Neyde x Bonda Ma Jacques White F6--3

Anuum:
Pepper Guru
Sri Lanka Chilli Red Growdown --2 X
Sri Lanka Chilli Red Off-Pheno (?)--1

Devv
Jimmy Nardello--3

Moruga Welder
Aleppo--3
Antake--2 XX
Antep Aci Dolma--3 XXX

Tradewinds Fruit
Big Jim--6
Sante Fe Grande--2 XX

Costco (yup, seeds from store peppers)
Red Bell (for the Darlin' Bride and her stir-fry)--6 XXXX

One of my OW Rocotos went into shock after transplant, a Peruvian Red, one of two I have going. I don't think some Rocotos like their rootballs trimmed. The others I've transplanted show no sign of shock at all...

Noice start you got here Eric  :metal:

i just finally got hooks :dance: it took 13 days so far  :dance: Turbo pube also from GCM, as well as my self saved seeds; Ecuadorian sweet Rocoto, and F3 Cardenasii x Rocoto (Pubescens pheno)
3 hooks..  & hopefully more any day now  :party:
one even had helmet head  :neutral:
What'dya think,should i start my Glog already ?
just sowed 24 more varieties today
and still have all the annuum to sow 

lookin good, and ahead of me, as i'd expect you to be, way up there in zone 3  :eek:
  :cheers:

Guatemalan Insanity Pepper said:
Noice start you got here Eric  :metal: Thanks man, this has been the quickest germination start I've ever gotten, must be the Methyl-Ethyl Ketone soak instead of tea!

i just finally got hooks :dance: it took 13 days so far  :dance: Turbo pube also from GCM, as well as my self saved seeds; Ecuadorian sweet Rocoto, and F3 Cardenasii x Rocoto (Pubescens pheno)
3 hooks..  & hopefully more any day now  :party: Yeah, 13 days for a first hook sound about my speed. Heck, GCM's Aji Arnauchos came screaming out of the dirt! Chinense don't do that, right?
one even had helmet head  :neutral: Yup, me too, but it's cotys are 3/4 out, so it looks to be a feisty one!
What'dya think,should i start my Glog already ? I wish you would, I'm getting tired of searching the forums looking for it.... :high:
just sowed 24 more varieties today
and still have all the annuum to sow Did mine in a lump, for better or worse. I planted a LOT of Big Jims 'cause we just use a lot of those, but not one has disturbed the topsoil...It has me wondering what Tradewinds might have done with their original seed (What I planted are from last year's harvest)...

lookin good, and ahead of me, as i'd expect you to be, way up there in zone 3  :eek: I gots ta hurry, man!! I only has till Sept., and winter's comin'!!
  :cheers: HEAR HEAR!! :cheers: 

Hey, Eric, I assume the red x's are hooks?

I​f so, great germination for only one week,
buddy! You gots lots more coming, for sure.

Kudos on the PdNxBMJ violet hook. Seeds
were F6, right? Those would be F7 plants if
you're on the 'same page' as every one else.

Continued success, Eric, you already have
a grow goin'!

So I just looked at your 7 day forecast Eric...you guys have like 45cm of snow in the next week expected and temps will be warmer so likely be that wet heavy crap. 20cm alone on Sat...Winter isn't going away without a fight it seems eh.

We have snow as well but maybe at most half of what you guys are supposed to get over the same time. Lets both hope they miss the mark on this one :pray:

PaulG said:
Hey, Eric, I assume the red x's are hooks?

I​f so, great germination for only one week,
buddy! You gots lots more coming, for sure.

Kudos on the PdNxBMJ violet hook. Seeds
were F6, right? Those would be F7 plants if
you're on the 'same page' as every one else.

Continued success, Eric, you already have
a grow goin'!

Actually Paul, the red Xs are individual cells, all of them had multiple seeds, but I'm only tracking cells with hooks. For instance the Antakes take up two cells, but I got 100% germination, there are 8 plants in those 2 cells.

I'm amazed at my success so far, never had peppers come up so fast. Let's hope it's a good sign! And thanks for all you've done for me...

CDNmatt said:
So I just looked at your 7 day forecast Eric...you guys have like 45cm of snow in the next week expected and temps will be warmer so likely be that wet heavy crap. 20cm alone on Sat...Winter isn't going away without a fight it seems eh.

We have snow as well but maybe at most half of what you guys are supposed to get over the same time. Lets both hope they miss the mark on this one :pray:
Yeah. Gawd this is getting old, the cabin fever is palpable.

It's hard to know what we're ever really in for, the weather people here take themselves so seriously it's laughable. VERY alarmist, very animated in their endeavor to generate panic. We might get a foot of snow, we might get two. We might get nothing. You realize that most of these "forecasters" anymore rely on picking one of a half dozen or more computer models at random and calling it The Forecast, don't you?

Yep, they're right once in a while, just like a blind squirrel will find a nut.

Don't get me wrong, I know there are real meteorologists out there, just not around here.....

stettoman said:
Don't get me wrong, I know there are real meteorologists out there, just not around here.....

Now I haven't lived in MN for a few years, but I seem to remember Paul Douglas being one of the worst sensationalist offenders. Is he still bothering you? 
lol.gif

Also, people replying to you using your first name in other threads has been really confusing, because it's the same as mine. "What? I didn't tell them my name..."

I do miss the snow, but that's in no small part because it never mattered when I worked from home.

Back