• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

StettoGro '19: In For a Dime

76....In English that would be ALMOST TWICE AS DAMNED MANY AS LAST YEAR.

Ah well, Last year I dwelled on downsizing, this year I must have assumed it would be automatic.

I argued with myself over whether to glog at all this year, other than to carry over noobishness from the last two seasons I don't have that much to offer...But everyone loves to see a Zone 3 die-hard gardener scratch and claw his way through a short season!!

Anyhow, this is how my week started---I was particularly proud of my innovative use of the pill caddy.... :idea:

Soakin seeds.jpg

That was the first "load", almost all black seeds. The next day the yellow seeds went in while the black ones found their nests. The sad thing is the seeds I didn't put in; the Paprika and the Urfa Biber and the Aji Limo and the and the and the...Until that damned greenhouse gets itself magically erected I gotta limit myself.

OK, at least one of each Pubescen is going into fivers or larger containers. So will the best of the Pimenta De Neyde x Bonda Ma Jacques and my Sri Lanka Chilli Red competitor and what long season peppers I can. What goes into the 8th acre this year will be treated to a till-less grow, it's at least worth a try. Most of the anuums will be out there.

For what it's worth, here is the current state of my grow....

76 starts.jpg

Pubescens:
CaneDog
Big Apple Red Rocoto--3
Mini Brown Rocoto--3
De Seda Yellow/Orange Rocoto--3
Costa Rica Red Rocoto--3
XL Brown Rocoto--3
Gelbe Riesen Yellow Rocoto--3
Gelbe Riesen Var--3
Arequipa Giant Red Rocoto--3

Greenchilemonster
Giant Yellow Rocoto--3
Turbo Pube--3
Ecuador Red Rocoto---3
Aji Largo Rocoto--3
Large Red Rocoto--1

Chinense:
Greenchilemonster
Aji Arnaucho--2
Papa Dreadie SB--3

PaulG
Pimenta de Neyde x Bonda Ma Jacques Violet F6--3
Pimenta de Neyde x Bonda Ma Jacques White F6--3

Anuum:
Pepper Guru
Sri Lanka Chilli Red Growdown --2
Sri Lanka Chilli Red Off-Pheno (?)--1

Devv
Jimmy Nardello--3

Moruga Welder
Aleppo--3
Antake--2
Antep Aci Dolma--3

Tradewinds Fruit
Big Jim--6
Sante Fe Grande--2

Costco (yup, seeds from store peppers)
Red Bell (for the Darlin' Bride and her stir-fry)--6

I still have the OWs, Aji Amarillo, Aji Mango, Turbo Pube, Large Red Rocoto, Rocoto Rojo (2), Peruvian Red Rocoto (2) Ecuador Red Rocoto, Large Orange Thai, Aji Oro, Rocoto Arequipena, but I didn't want to brag.

Let the love-hate begin! I'm gonna start it with a Voodoo Ranger....

stettoman said:

Actually Paul, the red Xs are individual cells, all of them had multiple seeds, but I'm only tracking cells with hooks. For instance the Antakes take up two cells, but I got 100% germination, there are 8 plants in those 2 cells.

I'm amazed at my success so far, never had peppers come up so fast. Let's hope it's a good sign! And thanks for all you've done for me...

Yeah. Gawd this is getting old, the cabin fever is palpable.

It's hard to know what we're ever really in for, the weather people here take themselves so seriously it's laughable. VERY alarmist, very animated in their endeavor to generate panic. We might get a foot of snow, we might get two. We might get nothing. You realize that most of these "forecasters" anymore rely on picking one of a half dozen or more computer models at random and calling it The Forecast, don't you?

Yep, they're right once in a while, just like a blind squirrel will find a nut.

Don't get me wrong, I know there are real meteorologists out there, just not around here.....

Yeah I would tend to agree with you for the most part....Like the weather systems can change form day to day so I think it can be difficult to really call the shots 7 days or more ahead....Like even since yesterday things have already changed.

Edit - Rolling rolling rolling, keep those doggys going RAAAWHIDE!! PT

internationalfish said:

Now I haven't lived in MN for a few years, but I seem to remember Paul Douglas being one of the worst sensationalist offenders. Is he still bothering you? 
lol.gif

Also, people replying to you using your first name in other threads has been really confusing, because it's the same as mine. "What? I didn't tell them my name..."

I do miss the snow, but that's in no small part because it never mattered when I worked from home.

Yah Eric, my real name is under my avatar... ;)

I'm up in northwester MN, Paul Douglas is with the Red Star paper, right? I haven't read a Minneapolis newspaper in 20 years or more. We have a Bob Wheeler, a Tom Schmanski, Rob Kupec, Hutch Johnson...my favorite guy growing up was Dewey Bergquist, who famously quoted "No one will EVER accurately forecast the weather beyond 12 hours. That's the unpredictable nature of weather." Gee, still true...

We love the snow, up to a point. We passed that point a while back. The -30 degrees F is no help.

stettoman said:
Yah Eric, my real name is under my avatar... ;)
I noticed. But mine isn't, hence my confusion. ;)

stettoman said:
I'm up in northwester MN, Paul Douglas is with the Red Star paper, right?
I think he's on one of the TV channels. I never read a paper even when I lived there, I just always heard that this was the guy consistently calling for eighty inches of snow in September.

stettoman said:
We love the snow, up to a point. We passed that point a while back. The -30 degrees F is no help.

Yeah, my friends here have a hard time believing me when I tell them how cold it gets there. The seriously dangerous wind chill days are one thing I don't miss.

stettoman said:
  Actually Paul, the red Xs are individual cells, all of them had multiple seeds, but I'm only tracking cells with hooks. For instance the Antakes take up two cells, but I got 100% germination, there are 8 plants in those 2 cells.

I'm amazed at my success so far, never had peppers come up so fast. Let's hope it's a good sign! And thanks for all you've done for me...
Thanks, Eric. My pleasure to make a small contribution

That's even better, buddy! You will have a
full-on grow in no time, snow or not!

Hey Stetto.  Do I remember right that you've grown the Arnaucho before?  I think I remember you posting about it.  What are your thoughts on it?  I was interested to grow it this season and I'm sitting on seeds, but, well, just too many other varieties happening so I left it out.

And yeah, bored here too - or maybe impatient.  I planted a bunch of rocoto varieties 5-6 days ago and every day I'm waiting, but I know they won't start to pop until this weekend.  Potted up a good two-dozen plants over the last two days to keep occupied.

CaneDog said:
Hey Stetto.  Do I remember right that you've grown the Arnaucho before?  I think I remember you posting about it.  What are your thoughts on it?  I was interested to grow it this season and I'm sitting on seeds, but, well, just too many other varieties happening so I left it out.

And yeah, bored here too - or maybe impatient.  I planted a bunch of rocoto varieties 5-6 days ago and every day I'm waiting, but I know they won't start to pop until this weekend.  Potted up a good two-dozen plants over the last two days to keep occupied.

Yeah, the seeds I planted this year are from the plant grown from Greenchilemonster's seeds. I had a 100% germ rate from them as well. Like any Chinense they grew listlessly for me until midsummer, then went nuts. There must have been upwards of 75 pods on one plant. I'd have gotten a lot more of them if we didn't have a freak hard frost on Sept. 1. I actually culled the seed and dried the pods for later, and they're still in the pantry. I'm hoping that this will be a better season and that the Arnauchos are akin to Aji Limos in heat and flavor--I thought I had Aji Limo seed for this season but it's nowhere to be found!!

We got above freezing here today--by half a degree. I hope it's a trend. It can snow all week if it's melting as it comes!!

stettoman said:

Yeah, the seeds I planted this year are from the plant grown from Greenchilemonster's seeds. I had a 100% germ rate from them as well. Like any Chinense they grew listlessly for me until midsummer, then went nuts. There must have been upwards of 75 pods on one plant. I'd have gotten a lot more of them if we didn't have a freak hard frost on Sept. 1. I actually culled the seed and dried the pods for later, and they're still in the pantry. I'm hoping that this will be a better season and that the Arnauchos are akin to Aji Limos in heat and flavor--I thought I had Aji Limo seed for this season but it's nowhere to be found!!

We got above freezing here today--by half a degree. I hope it's a trend. It can snow all week if it's melting as it comes!!

Every little step in the right direction is good right about now.  I won't complain about the unseasonable cold here when others are getting hit with real cold, but I'm sure ready for some spring warmth.

You're not making me feel any better about leaving the Arnauchos out.  Hope you can take full advantage of them this year.

OH MAN!! Looks like you kicked my a$$ in the snow accumulation department last night. TV says you got about 13 inces accumulation, about 6 here but still snowing. At this rate you wont even see the dirt until about July. Hopefully they will like their indoor digs for a while yet.

skullbiker said:
OH MAN!! Looks like you kicked my a$$ in the snow accumulation department last night. TV says you got about 13 inces accumulation, about 6 here but still snowing. At this rate you wont even see the dirt until about July. Hopefully they will like their indoor digs for a while yet.
Ha! Yes, there is muchos nieve, and the rest of the week won't be kind. Rain/snow system for mid-week, and who knows after that.

My plants? No worries, I'll just bring 'em to your house when the Darlin' Bride kicks me out!

stettoman said:
Took me 3 hrs this time, actually ran out of gas right at the end...coincidentally so did the snowblower...

This is what we got so far, and winter ain't over.

attachicon.gif
20190310_163016.jpg

attachicon.gif
20190310_162920.jpg

attachicon.gif
20190310_162830.jpg

I didn't get to the back yard, maybe it's for the best...
Damn! Wish I could jump into that looks like a good time [emoji3063]

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Back