• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Stickman's 2012 Gochu Pepper Glog

Well, here we go... Started about 35 Korean Gochu Peppers and a few Korean salad peppers, jalapenos and orange habs. All are mostly up today but the habs. I started them early last week in my heated grow tent down in my cellar on top of a grow mat, but didn't have the thermostat quite dialed in. When I left it it was 70 degrees f. in the tent. When I checked again the next morning it was 85 degrees, and I was afraid I'd cooked the seeds, so I moved them onto my kitchen windowsill on the grow mat and awaited developments. Looking much better now. I'll give the Habs until the weekend to pop, then move the flat down to the grow tent.
SANY0252.jpg
tentheater2.jpg
growtent.jpg

Dang Rick, they're still producing? What have your temps been running up there? Been thinking about just putting everything I have in the ground lately and seeing if they do any better. At least now I'm getting a few pods on.
Have a great one
I hope you get in all your pods Bill, you sure worked hard for them! Daytime temps here have been in the 70's and 80's and night-time lows in the 50's. By the end of next week the forecast is for it to drop into the 40's at night. Hopefully the kick in the a&& goads them into ripening faster...

You are making me HUNGRY :P :P :P
Glad you like what you see Jaime! Hope you have as much fun trying the sauces out as I've had trying your pods!
I made up a Mexican Lasagna for supper tonight when my brother came over to visit... I used corn tortillas instead of lasagna noodles, and made a tomato, green pepper, onion and garlic sauce with veggies from my garden and 3 tbsp of my chili powder blend and a pound of ground turkey. Here's the result...
SANY0080.jpg

Looks like you'll have a nice harvest when all that green ripens. Looks good.
Hi Megamoo
Thanks for stopping by. You must be pumped with spring just around the corner! We're winding down, but not done yet. Cheers!

While my brother was visiting, we went across the street to the Franklin County Fair, and one of the booths was handing out Maya chiles. I scored a handfull...
SANY0079.jpg

Anybody recognize them?

While my brother was visiting, we went across the street to the Franklin County Fair, and one of the booths was handing out Maya chiles. I scored a handfull...
SANY0079.jpg

Anybody recognize them?
Maya Red Habanero?
http://www.highmowingseeds.com/organic-seeds-maya-red-habenero.html

Been a busy food prep day today... I saved the seeds from about 4 of Paul's Aji Omnicolors and chopped them into salsa left over from yesterday. My brother came to visit, so we only put one Serrano at the time and it needed to be punched up now that he went home...
SANY0084.jpg

Made another 5 eight oz bottles of Habanero Sauce...
SANY0083.jpg

SANY0085.jpg

Then smoked 5 pounds of Jalapenos and made some sauce with that...
SANY0081.jpg

First batch...

SANY0086.jpg

and done... pint jars are getting a little thin on the ground...

absolutely beautiful.... hows the heat and flavor on the hab sauce..? do you ferment your sauce... ?
Hi Denniz
Heat and flavor are pure Orange Habanero! I used 2 dozen chiles, rounded out with a tsp of salt, 2 onions, 2 carrots and 10 cloves of garlic I toasted in a dry frying pan, 2 cups of water and 2 cups of cider vinegar. Not fermented... this year is the first time I made sauce with my chiles. Always made powder before this. Fermenting a batch with my gochus is the next experiment.
it's been a few days since you added the epsom salts to your plants... any improvement yet? Thanks for stopping by!

Thanks Bodeen! The County fair is over and it's kind of summer's last hurrah... I thought I'd make Jerk Chicken one more time. I used 4 Jamaican Hot Chocolate chiles and the placentas after saving the seeds.
SANY0091.jpg

I'll fire up the grill after work today.

Yum, Jerked chicken, looks good Rick.

Those Maya's were a nice little score for a fair. The ones we get down here never have anything even close to a booth like that.

Have a great week.

Yum, Jerked chicken, looks good Rick.

Those Maya's were a nice little score for a fair. The ones we get down here never have anything even close to a booth like that.

Have a great week.
Thanks Bill!
The booth was run by the Massachusetts Master Gardeners organization. I guess one of the people manning the booth had grown them sight unseen, and overshot their calculations somewhat...Nice of them to bring them to the fair to try to find them good homes!

Hi Guys!
Actually, I got the recipe from Katrina on THP... http://thehotpepper....ina#entry682134

The only omission she made was to not mention the water you need to simmer the smoked jalapenos in to soften them enough to put through the food mill. Don't use too much... I only used about a cup and a half or so. I didn't measure, just added it until it looked right. I only had 5 pounds of red-ripe Jalapenos so I made half a batch.

Supper tonight was Jerk Chicken with 4 Jamaican Hot Chocolate pods in the marinade, Brown Rice cooked in Chicken stock, boiled Chiogga Beets from my Mom's garden and Berry Buckle for dessert.
SANY0092.jpg

It was too dark when I got home from work to cook the chicken entirely on the grill, so we finished it in the oven.

Man O man that looks like some tasty ass chicken :party: You my friend never stop making my stomach growl. I need to stop by less frequent ;)

Just wanted to thank you for the sweet package I got last night. Love the gochu powder. Made a great marinade for my taco's last night. Can't wait to try a fresh gochu on the grill tonight. :dance:

Lots o Powder .

IMG_3822.jpg

Man O man that looks like some tasty ass chicken :party: You my friend never stop making my stomach growl. I need to stop by less frequent ;)

Just wanted to thank you for the sweet package I got last night. Love the gochu powder. Made a great marinade for my taco's last night. Can't wait to try a fresh gochu on the grill tonight. :dance:
Lots o Powder .
You're surely welcome Jamie! I've loved them for a few years now... just wanting to spread the chile love around. You'll find that the Gochus have a thick skin. Always a good thing when you air-dry the chiles to keep the mold down inside. Not so pleasant when you eat them, so you might want to roast and skin them like you would an Anaheim. Picked green they're a lot like a mini Bell Pepper. Stuffed with spiced ground meat, dredged in flour, dipped in beaten Egg and fried golden-brown the Koreans call them Gochu Jeon and serve them with a dipping sauce made of the pepper paste called gochujang, rice wine vinegar, soy sauce, dark sesame oil, minced scallion and garlic. Excellent summer fare!

Jerk chicken came out really good last night, but was missing the smoke flavor since I only half cooked it on the grill, so to satisfy my smoke craving I got a couple of cold chicken legs this afternoon and brushed them with a tablespoon of the smoked Jalapeno sauce I made this weekend... Ai, yi, yi! It's as hot as the Jerk, and I used 4 Habaneros in that! This sauce is up front, and in your face! Nice smoke flavor, and as Katrina said, nothing really stood out about it but that. I'll be making more of this next year for sure!
SANY0093.jpg

Excellent work Rick!

I new I had to come here to get some new ideas :)
Those ripe jalapenos recipe sound great, will have to try it.
I have some beautiful ripe jalapenos and I'm not sure what to do with them, this sounds delicious.

Back