• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Stickman's 2013 Glog - Time To Pull The Plug on 2013

I'm pulling things together to get ready for my next growing season. I bought NuMex variety seeds from Sandia Seed company in New Mexico, Hot Paper Lantern Habaneros and Antohi Romanians from Johnny's Select Seeds in Maine and Korean varieties from Evergreen Seeds in California. Due to the unbelievable generosity of a number of THP members I've also gotten seeds to a wide variety of chiles from around the world. Special thanks to BootsieB, stc3248, romy6, PaulG, SoCalChilehead, joynershotpeppers, highalt, cmpman1974, smokemaster, mygrassisblue, Mister No, chewi, KingDenniz, orrozconleche and most recently and spectacularly, Habanerohead with a great selection of superhots and peppers from Hungary!
SANY0193.jpg

There are eleven varieties of Hungarian peppers in here, mostly the early, thick-fleshed, sweet ones that range from white through yellow to purple and red.., plus Aji Lemon Drop, BJ Indian Carbon, Naga Morich, Bishop's Crown and TS CARDI Yellow! Now I just have to go through my seed bank and match the space available to what I want to grow. Thanks Balázs!

Hi Jeff
I got the Manzano seeds from pods I got from a member. He'd been having mottle virus issues with some of his other plants, and I tried to grow the seeds out since his Manzano plants looked uninfected. Maybe it's a sign that I should try seeds from another source. I'm not too disappointed with the low germ rate on the Hot Paper Lanterns because I think they're nearly identical with the Maya Red Habaneros, so I have extras. I got the Paper Lantern seeds from Peppergal... maybe she'll swap them out for some Orange Manzanos if she has them. Cheers

Looks like things are really moving along there at Casa Stickman! Good luck with the pubes. I'm giving them one last shot and if they don't grow, they go. ;)

I hear ya Doc! I'm wondering if I should start the Red Rocoto seeds I have to hedge my bets. Just got back from running a few errands and saw another hook in the babies... I had another Yellow 7 hook up, so that makes 5/5 with those. Judy at Pepperlover is the best with germ rates!

Wish I could come by and get your extra Jamaican Hot Chocolates! I didn't get any of mine to germinate, but they were from a swap and the packet had '09 written on it, so maybe I'll have to try again next year with fresher seed.

Wish I could come by and get your extra Jamaican Hot Chocolates! I didn't get any of mine to germinate, but they were from a swap and the packet had '10 written on it, so maybe I'll have to try again next year with fresher seed.
Hi Bonnie
I'd swap you for Orange Manzanos in a New York second! Lol

Glad to see so many of your seeds have done so well for you. How's the weather out your way? It's warmed up a bit today... almost 23 degrees and sunny with a mild breeze. If I didn't have too many other things to do this weekend it'd be a perfect day to go ice fishing, but my wife and I took a walk instead. Gotta self-medicate with sunlight so we don't come down with the "Shack Nasties"...

I have some clean Manzano seeds...had one germ yesterday so I know at least some of them are good. Lemme know if you need some.
Hi Shane
That would be incredibly generous of you, and I'll take you up on it! As always, if you see anything on my grow or trade list you'd like, just say the word and I'll get it out to you if I haven't already planted them all.

Rick. Let me know on the manzanos. I've already gor one that never lost any leaves and is kicking. I even took some cuttings and hoping to have roots by feb.
921C4EF2-87C3-46A1-BFFC-37E1DA226A52-4443-000001BDE81ADECF.jpg

EF2CD87C-6A47-4226-B136-56AB5B2374B2-4443-000001BDDCD296A9.jpg

also had three that germed and I can send them to u when they are a bit bigger. This year I'm sending plants as I was fortunate to receive some last year. Does Bonnie want a manzano plant as well?!

Looking great there Stickman! I need to do some reading and research on the mexican chillies as a lot of them have quite specific cullinary uses it seems... exciting stuff!

Rick. Let me know on the manzanos. I've already gor one that never lost any leaves and is kicking. I even took some cuttings and hoping to have roots by feb. Does Bonnie want a manzano plant as well?!
That's so cool Denniz! I should have a few little ones for you too soon, Bonnie's Manzanos popper for her...Rick, I will get the seeds out as soon as I can brotha!

Hope that walk did you some good. Made me lol @ the shack nasties.
Good to here the yellow 7s came in @ 100%. Only my yel7LRG ones and brains have risen so far.
Take care

Rick. Let me know on the manzanos. I've already gor one that never lost any leaves and is kicking. I even took some cuttings and hoping to have roots by feb. also had three that germed and I can send them to u when they are a bit bigger. This year I'm sending plants as I was fortunate to receive some last year. Does Bonnie want a manzano plant as well?!
Hi DeNNiZ
Thanks for your generous offer, but I think I'll pass. Shane's sending seed, and I don't trust live plants to make it across country in the cold weather. I don't want you to spend that kind of money for nothing. You've got good looking plants though, and I hope they do well for you this year. I think Bonnie is set for Manzanos, but she wants some Jamaican Hot Chocolates.

Looking great there Stickman! I need to do some reading and research on the mexican chillies as a lot of them have quite specific cullinary uses it seems... exciting stuff!
Mexican and Southwest "Tex-Mex" may be traditional, but don't feel bound by them... Mexican chiles go with any cuisine that uses hot peppers. Some are star performers and others are supporting players... just try the different varieties and then put them where you think they should go.

That's so cool Denniz! I should have a few little ones for you too soon, Bonnie's Manzanos popper for her...Rick, I will get the seeds out as soon as I can brotha!
Thanks Shane, I appreciate it!

Hope that walk did you some good. Made me lol @ the shack nasties.
Good to here the yellow 7s came in @ 100%. Only my yel7LRG ones and brains have risen so far.
Take care
Hi Jay
Glad you got a chuckle out of it... :)

Good news on your germination... Good luck with your season this year!

They're in the mailbox...I sent quite a few, and have hundreds more, so don't be afraid to start a bunch to up your chances. They can be picky germ wise, and I can always send more. I had 100% rates last year from the same stock so there's bound to be at least a couple good ones in there!

Extremely cool Shane... Muchisimas Gracias! I'm sending some packets of seeds to Bonnie for the swap and I'll just throw in the rest of the seeds from the packet I planted of Jamaican Hot Chocolate. I collected the seeds from some pods I bought at a local farmstand last year, so they should germ well for her this year. It's all going around...

Another hook up in the Jamaican Hot Chocolate cup, so we're 5/5 there as well. Some seeds were certainly slower to germinate than others, but I think the pre-soak with the weak saltpeter solution worked a treat. It's supposed to help older seeds with less "oomph" germinate. I think that while it may not be a miracle cure it will increase germination percentages.

Rick,
It’s amazing how quickly you guys that grow indoors get primary leaves, everything looks great at stickman’s casa de peppers!!! Guess mother natures sun just isn’t as effective for me to speed up that process. I still have my seedlings outside now rather than on the windowsill inside but they’re still in diffused lighting (canvas that allows ½ day low light levels). Hopefully I can get them up enough soon to put them into direct sunlight where they normally take off faster.

Rick,
It’s amazing how quickly you guys that grow indoors get primary leaves, everything looks great at stickman’s casa de peppers!!! Guess mother natures sun just isn’t as effective for me to speed up that process. I still have my seedlings outside now rather than on the windowsill inside but they’re still in diffused lighting (canvas that allows ½ day low light levels). Hopefully I can get them up enough soon to put them into direct sunlight where they normally take off faster.
That sounds like the ticket Ramon. I was surprised to see how well your eggshell germ worked out... I guess it shows that we shouldn't over-protect our chiles. They're tough little buggers.

Looking good up there Rick! Oh, when you get a few minutes can you post up or pm me your Kimchi recipe? I want to make a batch and see if the family is accepting of it. I already have one daughter that has discovered the pleasures of the korean cuisne and it'll be a surprise when she comes for a visit during Spring Break.

Wish those rocotos and manzanos would grow down here but from what I've seen they dont like to be likin it around here. have a great week brother,
Bill

Back