• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Stickman's 2013 Glog - Time To Pull The Plug on 2013

I'm pulling things together to get ready for my next growing season. I bought NuMex variety seeds from Sandia Seed company in New Mexico, Hot Paper Lantern Habaneros and Antohi Romanians from Johnny's Select Seeds in Maine and Korean varieties from Evergreen Seeds in California. Due to the unbelievable generosity of a number of THP members I've also gotten seeds to a wide variety of chiles from around the world. Special thanks to BootsieB, stc3248, romy6, PaulG, SoCalChilehead, joynershotpeppers, highalt, cmpman1974, smokemaster, mygrassisblue, Mister No, chewi, KingDenniz, orrozconleche and most recently and spectacularly, Habanerohead with a great selection of superhots and peppers from Hungary!
SANY0193.jpg

There are eleven varieties of Hungarian peppers in here, mostly the early, thick-fleshed, sweet ones that range from white through yellow to purple and red.., plus Aji Lemon Drop, BJ Indian Carbon, Naga Morich, Bishop's Crown and TS CARDI Yellow! Now I just have to go through my seed bank and match the space available to what I want to grow. Thanks Balázs!

stickman said:

Heh heh... ;)

Just wanted to shout out to brother Charles (spicegeist)... Thanks for the pods and seeds bro'!  I saved the seeds from the Lotah Bih pods you sent, and tried one of the pods... What an interesting aroma... sort of reminded me of a cross between Pistachio nuts and the Pimientos in P+P loaf. The taste was deep and nutty as well, with a higher note above it and a spike of heat that kept my lips and tongue tingling for at least half an hour. If the dried pods taste that good, I'm definitely gonna grow that one next year to find out how good it is fresh! I'll be saving the seeds from, and checking out the others this weekend. Thanks again guy, and TGIF all!
SANY0512_zpscde2935b.jpg

I'm glad you're planning on growing the Lota Bih, I think it is a good C. frutescens to grow, definitely very unique.

Pinoy83 said:
what should i use for spidermites?...my pepper plant stop prodcing new leafs, its basically shes like stunted till she dies and she has tons of flowers and buds then next thing i know she start dropping flowers leafs , i wanna spray azamax but we have 3days of rain at the moment, every time i see pests i try to bomb them right away, but if nothing happens i just pull the plant and dump it before it gets to the other plants :mope: :mope: :mope:

Well, your plants are in pots, so you could bring them inside to treat them if that's what they need, but I'd recommend you get a lighted 30-power magnifying glass first so you can give your affected plants a good looking-over to make sure whether or not aphids or mites are the problem. Even if they're not, it's a good investment, and they're cheap. The other things to look at are the pH of the soil in the pot, and If you have any beetle grubs in the soil. they could be down where you can't see them chewing on the roots. They're places to start anyway. Good luck brah!
Spicegeist said:

I'm glad you're planning on growing the Lota Bih, I think it is a good C. frutescens to grow, definitely very unique.
You bet Charles... This is one of the new varieties I'm looking forward to the most... thanks for sharing!

stickman said:
You bet Charles... This is one of the new varieties I'm looking forward to the most... thanks for sharing!

I'm curious, did you save and keep separate the seed from the different pods or did you just put them all together?  They were open pollinated, so with a little luck they will grow true. 

This past season I grew out TS Morouga Blend from three different pods (I wanted to make sure I got at least one TSMB, the parent was awesome), two grew true...

Spicegeist said:

I'm curious, did you save and keep separate the seed from the different pods or did you just put them all together?  They were open pollinated, so with a little luck they will grow true. 

This past season I grew out TS Morouga Blend from three different pods (I wanted to make sure I got at least one TSMB, the parent was awesome), two grew true...
Nope... I'm keeping each variety of seed separate from the others. .. I'm not quite OCD, but almost... ;)

Hi All! Nobody should have to wade through 120+ pages to get to the good stuff, so I'm pulling the plug on the 2013 glog and moving on to the next effort, starting with these guys...

Manzanos!
SANY0561_zps2721a954.jpg

It's been a good run this year and I've had a blast growing and networking with you all. Still lots more to learn! Special thanks to HabaneroHead for introducing me to Hungarian peppers, MisterNo  for turning me on to Kapijas, Trippa for sharing seed from his Alphanerdz-strain Douglah and brother Shane for mailing one of his Manzano seedlings after I had planted every seed I had with no germination. Cheers all!

1) Lota Bih-sounds VERY interesting......+1 for that description :party:

2) 120 pages= I am such a slacker!

3) Seeds in dirt already=please see above comment

4) I'm afraid my season is done as well last report from the wife.....all the leaves fell off. :mope:

Have a good one-
DJ

Rick, your glog has been an inspiration here !
I see you have seeds started......at first I thought it might be too early, but is is Dec...lol ....and I've started them in the past around now.
Expect to have some monster plants by April, which will give you a major head start to next season.

Have an enjoyable Holiday season !

Scarecrw said:
Thanks for entertaining me this year. I hope next years grow is just as productive as this year. I have learned a lot from these glogs. I'm hoping those hops kick it up next year. I mulched them with 6" of shredded leaves.
Thanks Jeff, best of luck in 2014 yourself. Make sure you give the hops a bucket full of compost every spring and they should do well for you. They're not a fussy plant to grow as long as they get enough water and sun, and something at least 10 feet tall to climb.

romy6 said:
 All good things must come to an end  :confused:  Why does that have to be  ;)

Look forward to your 2014 log. I am sure you will not disappoint  :party:
Thanks Brother Jamie, I'll do my best to keep pace. Good luck in 2014.. I'll certainly be checking out your s#*%... ;)
gnslngr said:
1) Lota Bih-sounds VERY interesting......+1 for that description :party:

2) 120 pages= I am such a slacker!

3) Seeds in dirt already=please see above comment

4) I'm afraid my season is done as well last report from the wife.....all the leaves fell off. :mope:

Have a good one-
DJ
Thanks DJ, You'll do fine during the next growing season, I have faith! Cheers man!
PIC 1 said:
Rick, your glog has been an inspiration here !
I see you have seeds started......at first I thought it might be too early, but is is Dec...lol ....and I've started them in the past around now.
Expect to have some monster plants by April, which will give you a major head start to next season.

Have an enjoyable Holiday season !
S'right brother... that's the idea. The Manzanos grew so slowly here in 2013 that I figured I'd have to start them now to give them enough of a head start. I also sowed some of the Lotah Bih seeds this week, but no hooks yet. The next ones I'll start will probably be the BOC since the folks in Copenhagen say it's a slow germinator.

TGIF all and have a great weekend!

Rick,

I have to chime in with everyone else. Great job this year, everyone can see how much effort you put into this season both with your grow and glog, once again job well done!

I love the fact the we all learn from each other, share recipes etc.

Wishing you happy holidays and a super grow (again) next year!

Hi Rick,

What could describe more, how addictive your glog is, that I am sitting on a bus, heading Austria, and I'm reading your glog.:-)
Your glog has became a real monster :-)
This week I was asked whether I know how self watering can be done, and my immediate answer was: 'Yes, I know, let me show it on Rick's glog'.:-)
I was glad to see how well the Hungarian varieties were growing for you this year, and I'm in search mode now to find you more.
Good luck with the next season, which has already started pretty promising for you.:-)

Balázs

Rick my friend you did übergood this year! It has been a mega big season for you and it reflects in your glog. You are the one person I pretty much know - if Rick don't know it ain't worth knowing ;) You have more than deserved your rest my friend, but I will probably be bombarding you with a barrage of questions - so don't get too excited about getting rest :D :D :D I hope to keep your home fires glowing with my glog this winter ;)

Wonderful glog this year, rick.  But too much to keep up with   :rofl:  
Glad you started a new one!

Back