• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Stickman's 2013 Glog - Time To Pull The Plug on 2013

I'm pulling things together to get ready for my next growing season. I bought NuMex variety seeds from Sandia Seed company in New Mexico, Hot Paper Lantern Habaneros and Antohi Romanians from Johnny's Select Seeds in Maine and Korean varieties from Evergreen Seeds in California. Due to the unbelievable generosity of a number of THP members I've also gotten seeds to a wide variety of chiles from around the world. Special thanks to BootsieB, stc3248, romy6, PaulG, SoCalChilehead, joynershotpeppers, highalt, cmpman1974, smokemaster, mygrassisblue, Mister No, chewi, KingDenniz, orrozconleche and most recently and spectacularly, Habanerohead with a great selection of superhots and peppers from Hungary!
SANY0193.jpg

There are eleven varieties of Hungarian peppers in here, mostly the early, thick-fleshed, sweet ones that range from white through yellow to purple and red.., plus Aji Lemon Drop, BJ Indian Carbon, Naga Morich, Bishop's Crown and TS CARDI Yellow! Now I just have to go through my seed bank and match the space available to what I want to grow. Thanks Balázs!

To be honest I never really checked out what type of critters were in there. I am not good with bug identification to begin with, so when I saw them I lit the pests on fire (kind of a rage thing) and then tossed the peppers out. My most vivid memory of the whole thing was finding poop specks all over the insides of the peppers when I tried cutting them open.
Did it look anything like this? http://www.ent.iasta...odities/peppers

This may also help... http://ipm.ncsu.edu/ag295/html/pepper_key.htm

Rick - looking forward to your 2013 adventures!
Hi Clayton!
Thanks for stopping by! Have you finished the triage for your indoor grow?

I don't think so, but I'll have to ask Baláz. Where he could, he added variety names, but some he got from a friend of his who had grown them this season, and some he got from his fiancee's Grandfather before he passed away earlier this year. He sent two varieties of almapaprika (the apple shaped peppers, one sweet and the other mildly hot), what we call "cheese peppers" here and the Hungarians call "tomato peppers" since they look like a beefsteak tomato, and a few others. All are early varieties, since the Hungarian pepper growing region is the equivalent of zone 4. Most are round, but some are not. The heat levels and color when ripe vary widely between them. This link may help... http://europeantrave...ope/paprika.php

Hi Rick,

I am glad to see that the Hungarian and the U.S. postal service finally did a great job! :dance:
The Hungarian types are typically short season ones, meaning, that you have to sow the seeds in March, and you will get ripe pods by Aug-Sep.

Let me share some pictures/info about the peppers I sent to you. I have scanned the package of the shop-bought ones to show you how they look like, and let me translate (or at least try to :-) the info I found on their back.

Rapires F1: well known hybrid from the markets of Hungary, we just simply call it 'Pointed Hot'.
Info on the back: 'Continious growing variety. Fast growing, it is not resistant to lack of light. The pods are sagging, weight to 40-50 grams. Resistant to the latest versions of the Tobacco Mosaic Virus. Can be grown in every season.

Nagykúti: Heavy producer Almapaprika. Continious growing. The pods have thick flesh, and are bigger and hotter than any known Almapaprika type. The pods are ripening from white to red. (side note: they are consumed when they are still white-yellow). The pods are suitable for making pickle.

Rapires_Nagykuti_V2.jpg

Greygo: Continious growing, it has a strong growing habit, 40-45 cm high tomato pepper. Ripens from dark green to dark red, sagging, sweet, weight is 130-140 grams. Resistant to mold. Resistant to most of the Tobacco Mosaic Virus types.

Almapaprika: Continious growing, mild variety, with thick flesh, average weight is 40-45 grams. Good eaten fresh or pickled.

Greygo_Alma_V2.jpg

Táltos: Continious growing, for stuffing, white pepper. Pods are 10-12 cm long, 6-8 cm wide, thick walled, white-yellow, round, sagging, non-pungent, 110-120 grams. Resistant to stress, fusarium, and cucumber mosaic virus.

Édesalma: Continious growing, medium sized plant, 35-40 cm high, fast growing type. Good for making pickle, non-pungent. Pods are apple-shaped yellow-white, sweet, 55-60 grams.

Taltos_Edesalma_V2.jpg

Hungarian Sweet paprika: got the seeds from my fiancee's grandfather, excellent grower, sweet, and the best type to make traditional Hungarian paprika powder. We had 40 plants (30-35 cm high ones), which were not really watered during the season and despite of that, approx 1-1.5 kg of paprika powder was made from the dried pods.

HPIM2850.jpg

Hungarian Red Hot: my father grows them since years, Thai-like peppers, quite hot, and heavy producer. It is great in pickle, especially, when harvested semi-ripen stage. Also called 'Macskapöcse' in Hungary. ('cat's cock', sorry I had to translate it :P )

Hungarian Yellow Hot: yellow variety of the same pepper. Also called 'Macskasárga', which might be familiar for some of the THP members.

HPIM2333.jpg

HPIM2336_V2.jpg

Purple Stuffing pepper: I am trying to find some picture about it

Cheers,

Balázs

Now That's forward planning !!! :D nice list as well something different to the usual chinense heavy lists.
Now How many will you be adding to that by the time March rolls around ;)

Great list Rick the only things you would need to start early is the Chinense varieties. Good luck with everything
Hi Fernando
Thanks for looking in! Shane and Paul both thought an early start for the Manzano would be a good idea, so I'm going to start it with the Chinense varieties after New Years day. We're heading up to New Brunswick, Canada to spend Christmas with my MIL and I'll want to dance close attendance once I get the seeds started, so it'll have to wait until we get back.

Now That's forward planning !!! :D nice list as well something different to the usual chinense heavy lists.
Now How many will you be adding to that by the time March rolls around ;)
Hi Trippa
Thanks for checking in. Yeah, I like heat, but I mainly grow for the flavor. Besides that... we live at a more northern latitude with about a hundred day growing season (give or take a couple of weeks) so the varieties that need a longer growing season are more problematic here. I'm at the limit of space available too... my pepper plot is roughly 2x15 meters. I may decide to replace one plant with another, but I can't add more unless I can convince my wife to grow them as ornamentals. I'm pitching the Aji Omnicolors to her, but she's still thinking about it... Cheers

See my sig. ;)
You've got me convinced Doc, but my wife is a harder sell... :P

Wow, I like the Hungarian selections, looks like some good flavor variety!
Hi Jesse
Thanks for dropping in. I'm looking forward to it for sure! I won't have room for all of them this spring, but I'll plant the sweet Hungarian Paprika and one of the Alma Paprika in my garden and start some of the sweet Taltos peppers to share with my Mom.

Great looking list there Rick, looks like you'll be rolling in peppers again next year.
Hi Bill
I'll do my humble best... The thing I want to avoid is the electric bill I had last march when I was running the electric heater down cellar. Our usual wintertime electric bill is around 25 dollars, but last year the heater spiked it to over 5 times that. My wife says her chief objection to my starting the plants upstairs is the soil that gets on the floor, so I may try a ghetto DWC rig if I can sell her on the idea... otherwise, I'll try a smaller ceramic heater inside the grow tent downstairs.

I fell in love with a condiment called Ajvar when I made it this fall, and I'm trying to acquire some of the "Ox Horn" varieties of sweet pepper from the Balkan region to grow for next year. Many thanks to MisterNo and Ela for turning me on to this part of their culinary heritage. I've tried commercial and home made versions of ajvar now, and by far, home made is the best!

Our usual wintertime electric bill is around 25 dollars, but last year the heater spiked it to over 5 times that

I'd be quite happy with an electric bill just 5 times your normal bill. :dance: :dance: :dance: Of course, we heat with electric. :shh:

I'd be quite happy with an electric bill just 5 times your normal bill. :dance: :dance: :dance: Of course, we heat with electric. :shh:
Ouch!
We heat in part with solar gain and make up the balance with a gas space heater about the size of a large suitcase. Our house is so tight and well insulated that just baking something in the oven heats it for hours. ;)

Hi Rick, nice to see you are already preparing next season :)

I fell in love with a condiment called Ajvar when I made it this fall, and I'm trying to acquire some of the "Ox Horn" varieties of sweet pepper from the Balkan region to grow for next year. Many thanks to MisterNo and Ela for turning me on to this part of their culinary heritage. I've tried commercial and home made versions of ajvar now, and by far, home made is the best!

One of the peppers I've sent you this week, ''Kurtovska kapija'' is most commonly used for making ajvar all over Balkan, both industrialy or by home growers. Big, fleshy and sweet pods, great for conservation and roasting. Be sure to start them early enough, as they take longer time to ripen then most sweet peppers (aprox. 130 days after transplanting in my region - started in March and transplanted in May, they are usually ripe late in September).

Hi Rick, nice to see you are already preparing next season :)

One of the peppers I've sent you this week, ''Kurtovska kapija'' is most commonly used for making ajvar all over Balkan, both industrialy or by home growers. Big, fleshy and sweet pods, great for conservation and roasting. Be sure to start them early enough, as they take longer time to ripen then most sweet peppers (aprox. 130 days after transplanting in my region - started in March and transplanted in May, they are usually ripe late in September).
Hi Robert, thanks for the heads-up! I'll start them in January with my Chinense and Pubiscens varieties, then I'll get them into the ground under a hoophouse in mid-late April. They should be pretty well established by the end of May. I'm really looking forward to the 2013 growing season... So many new varieties to try!

Back