• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Stickman's 2013 Glog - Time To Pull The Plug on 2013

I'm pulling things together to get ready for my next growing season. I bought NuMex variety seeds from Sandia Seed company in New Mexico, Hot Paper Lantern Habaneros and Antohi Romanians from Johnny's Select Seeds in Maine and Korean varieties from Evergreen Seeds in California. Due to the unbelievable generosity of a number of THP members I've also gotten seeds to a wide variety of chiles from around the world. Special thanks to BootsieB, stc3248, romy6, PaulG, SoCalChilehead, joynershotpeppers, highalt, cmpman1974, smokemaster, mygrassisblue, Mister No, chewi, KingDenniz, orrozconleche and most recently and spectacularly, Habanerohead with a great selection of superhots and peppers from Hungary!
SANY0193.jpg

There are eleven varieties of Hungarian peppers in here, mostly the early, thick-fleshed, sweet ones that range from white through yellow to purple and red.., plus Aji Lemon Drop, BJ Indian Carbon, Naga Morich, Bishop's Crown and TS CARDI Yellow! Now I just have to go through my seed bank and match the space available to what I want to grow. Thanks Balázs!

It's not pepper-related, but the onion seeds I planted on Saturday are starting to hook up. The only vegetables I start inside early are the nightshades, onions and early greens like Mache and Claytonia.

I'm fighting off that urge to get an early start this year...things on the shelf just grow so much faster until the nights warm up for me. The average night time temps don't reach the 60's until June with some nights in the 40's through may. They live but don't thrive if ya know what I mean. Hard to resist though...nothing like breaking ground. Great to hear about your onions and looking forward to your next pepper pics!

I'm fighting off that urge to get an early start this year...things on the shelf just grow so much faster until the nights warm up for me. The average night time temps don't reach the 60's until June with some nights in the 40's through may. They live but don't thrive if ya know what I mean. Hard to resist though...nothing like breaking ground. Great to hear about your onions and looking forward to your next pepper pics!
Hi Shane
It's true that having the plants indoors under lights, they grow faster, but that adds to your electric bill in the end... My philosophy is to grow as energy-efficiently as possible. Just so I get good results. This is my first year growing superhots so I can't talk smack... gotta walk the walk first... You may turn out to be right in the end, but I'm gonna give it my best shot with what seemed to work with the Habaneros last year. In fact... maybe I can run a little experiment... I have 2 of each of the superhots. Maybe I can plant one outside under the hoophouse and keep the other one indoors until May to see if it makes any difference in the end. I will say I really like the RapidStart nutes! Last year I watered with dilute seaweed extract on the theory that the trace minerals and plant auxins in it would assist in vegetative growth. I think it did, but comparing last year's pics with the ones taken so far this year I think the plants have done so much better this year watering with the new nutes.

Good to hear that the onions are hooking up, you should post a few pics. I'm sure no one will mind!
Ok, just one... why not?
SANY0451_zpsfe982b6a.jpg

I planted a 72 cell tray with multiple seeds in each cell, so that should be plenty of onions for this year.

Glad our fellow chiliheads are takin care of a bruddah! Hey man, let me know as soon as you get you a Manzano sprout! I don't know how much longer I can keep my fingers crossed without cramping up!

Glad our fellow chiliheads are takin care of a bruddah! Hey man, let me know as soon as you get you a Manzano sprout! I don't know how much longer I can keep my fingers crossed without cramping up!

Will do! :rofl: Don't bend yourself painfully, eh? ;)

To hedge my bets, I put some more manzano seeds in to soak today. I'll try the coffee filter method again to see if it'll work any better with the new batch. I won't throw out the ones in soil... we'll see which one answers the call...

Seeds from Austria on their way to you from Germany.

Cheers from Bologna... or at least I think that is where I am this week.

Came home for lunch today and found this in the mail from Nee...
SANY0448-1_zps4a579743.jpg

Thanks Cobber, that's fair dinkum, that is...

Again, apologies for the delay! Hope yours sprout as fast as mine did! From memory the first of these took 4 days! Looking forward to seeing how they go for you :)

I hope things are OK in the storm, Rick. Best wishes your way.
Hi Doc
All in all, it's not too bad here... it just reminds me of the snowstorms we used to have here in southern New England when I was a kid. We only got a foot of snow here, but with fairly strong winds and powder snow it's blown and drifted a lot. Some places have been scoured to the ground and in other places (like the end of our driveway) it's chest high.
http://s1166.beta.photobucket.com/user/heebner/media/SANY0484_zpsf7c114e3.mp4.html

I went out and shoveled a path to the street early this morning before breakfast, and when I came in, I needed something to warm me up quick! So I made a few tortillas and Huevos Rancheros with some of your brown/green powder blend.

Frying tortillas
SANY0473_zps5cd76bad.jpg

The waiting line...
SANY0474_zpsbfa77b54.jpg

The eggs and your powder...
SANY0482_zpsf4d8394f.jpg

The plate-up with refried beans and salsa cruda made with some of last year's frozen serrano pods.
SANY0483_zps02372f68.jpg

Once my wife and I get the driveway and space in front of the mailbox cleared, I'll post pics of the babies. Most have their second set of true leaves and some are working on their third.

That vid looks cold! I was complaining about 32F here this morning! Glad to see you are enjoying the powders. That Huevos Rancheros looks awesome...just the thing for after shoveling snow!

Very pleased Nemo didn't hit you too hard.

Finally finished shoveling out the driveway and the 6 feet wide swath of waist-high snow the town plow truck left in front of our mailbox. I had a half an inch of ice in my beard lol! Thank you Aaron Feuerstein for the invention of Polar Fleece...
SANY0485_zpsc315fa49.jpg

Seedlings are looking happy with the light levels... four 23 watt 5000k CFLs and the sunlight they get in front of our south-facing sliding glass door.
Maya Red Habanero
SANY0487_zpse2604298.jpg

Douglah
SANY0488_zps81fe4584.jpg

Aji Omnicolor
SANY0489_zps05b120f7.jpg

Jamaican Hot Chocolate
SANY0490_zpsfc1fce00.jpg

Yellow 7
SANY0491_zpsf605509f.jpg

We are right on the edge of that same storm. Waist high snow, shovelling three times a day to keep up with it, all bliss and joy.

The seedlings look happy and healthy!

I absolutely despise snow! I've only lived in countries that deal really badly with it and everything grinds to a halt!

Back