• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Stickman's 2013 Glog - Time To Pull The Plug on 2013

I'm pulling things together to get ready for my next growing season. I bought NuMex variety seeds from Sandia Seed company in New Mexico, Hot Paper Lantern Habaneros and Antohi Romanians from Johnny's Select Seeds in Maine and Korean varieties from Evergreen Seeds in California. Due to the unbelievable generosity of a number of THP members I've also gotten seeds to a wide variety of chiles from around the world. Special thanks to BootsieB, stc3248, romy6, PaulG, SoCalChilehead, joynershotpeppers, highalt, cmpman1974, smokemaster, mygrassisblue, Mister No, chewi, KingDenniz, orrozconleche and most recently and spectacularly, Habanerohead with a great selection of superhots and peppers from Hungary!
SANY0193.jpg

There are eleven varieties of Hungarian peppers in here, mostly the early, thick-fleshed, sweet ones that range from white through yellow to purple and red.., plus Aji Lemon Drop, BJ Indian Carbon, Naga Morich, Bishop's Crown and TS CARDI Yellow! Now I just have to go through my seed bank and match the space available to what I want to grow. Thanks Balázs!

Thanks for the holiday wishes, Rick! Merry Christmas to you and yours!

I thought I might start the Manzanos and a few other long season ones back in November or early December, but that didn't happen. It looks like you and I will be getting started pretty close to the same time. You'll jump way ahead of me though with that whole hoop set up you got going. Maybe I can rig something up by this spring. We'll have to wait and see how much time and resources I have to spend on that project.

Maybe now that the holiday rush is over, I can at least start finalizing the grow list.

Looking forward to following your 2013 grow!!!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and your family have a safe trip back home can not wait to see you season start off and building up that chili ristra again.

Happy holidays to you and your family. Glad you gr your seeds and cant wait to see the progress. As for the gochu 4/4 germ rate and are about an inch tall. Thanks again

Denniz

Thanks folks for all the holiday good wishes. Today is the day after Boxing Day in St John, New Brunswick, Canada and things are back to normal. Boxing day is as big a holiday as Christmas here.

The storm that brought tornadoes to Alabama and Mississippi is supposed to reach here today and drop anywhere from 5 to 16 cm of snow. I hope all you THP'ers from the southeast are in good shape, and it blows out in time to have good roads for the drive home in Sunday. I'm at G-day minus 9, and I want to get back home so I can get my hands in the dirt and follow all of your glogs. Cheers!

All right Rick, time for yuo to get back down where it's warm. :)

Glad to hear your having a great vacation up there. Hoping you have a safe trip back home.

Hi Bill
To that end (getting home safe) we're putting our return trip on hold for a day... we're due for a half a foot of "wintry mix" here tomorrow, so we'll get back late Monday. The plan is to prepare the growing area mid-week and start the first wave of seeds next weekend.

Have a Happy New Year all!

Well dang...where have I been??? I suppose I was too stuck in the "my content" tab. Time to start hitting the new content and visiting the actual glog section to look for new stuff!!! Good luck this year, can't wait to watch you tempt fate with your early plant out techniques again!!! Great looking list, dabbling a bit in the supers, and some hotter habs! Those chocolate, and red lanterns were two really good ones for me this year. If I can stay clean and you like the chocolate habs I got a really cool strain from Pr0digal_son that I will share...have to grow them out first though. Let me know if there is anything your grow is lacking, I might have it!

Hi Shane
Thanks for dropping in! I think I'm fully extended for this year, but would be interested in trying some Aji Panca for next year if the opportunity arises. I've got my wife convinced to let me start my long-season chiles upstairs in the warmth of our south-facing living room windows, and I'll be supplementing with a Sunshine Systems 12 watt "Growspot" LED grow light on a timer. I got the "Vigorous veg" variety which puts out intense blue light paired up with 24 watt 5500k cfl.

Hi Stickman, Mate dont you just love coming home to see little envalopes in the mail box full of seeds , its what makes this site so great , all the caring and sharing of seeds,
without all the great growers on here i would of only had a few varietys to grow this season.

Best of luck mate for this coming season.

Great to hear you are back safe and sound! Always nice to see people making out all right when our weather doesn't behave :P

I was happy to find out when I called my office this morning that I didn't have to work after all, but I spent 3 hours shoveling out my driveway and the snow heaped in front of my mailbox by the town plow. I think I'm gonna be stiff tomorrow..

Before I started shoveling, I put together some Hoppin' John in our slow cooker. I understand the philosophy of it is to eat cheap on New Year's Day so you can eat fat the rest of the year. To that end, I used red cranberry beans that we grew in our garden this past season instead of black-eyed peas. Otherwise it's the traditional recipe. I chopped 2 onions, 3 cloves and one of PaulG's superhots that I saved the seeds from and froze., Threw that into the pot with bay leaves, 3 smoked ham hocks, pre-soaked beans and water to cover. When the beans are tender, I'll saute Italian frying peppers, scallions and celery, and stir them into the beans with thyme, cumin and cajun seasoning. I'll make rice and collard greens on the side.

... I put together some Hoppin' John in our slow cooker. I understand the philosophy of it is to eat cheap on New Year's Day so you can eat fat the rest of the year. To that end, I used red cranberry beans that we grew in our garden this past season instead of black-eyed peas. Otherwise it's the traditional recipe. I chopped 2 onions, 3 cloves and one of PaulG's superhots that I saved the seeds from and froze., Threw that into the pot with bay leaves, 3 smoked ham hocks, pre-soaked beans and water to cover. When the beans are tender, I'll saute Italian frying peppers, scallions and celery, and stir them into the beans with thyme, cumin and cajun seasoning. I'll make rice and collard greens on the side.

Thanks for that, I pop in for a few minutes and now I'm off to eat ... somehow I'm starving after reading this :D

Happy New Year, Rick! I think I'm making Hoppin' John for dinner too. Well, minus the collard greens. I know, I know, I'm from the south, I'm supposed to like those ... blech!

Just thought I'd give you a head's up on the Aji Panca. I tried that one in 2011, but didn't get a single ripe pod before our first frost. Since your growing season is similar to mine, I would recommend starting that one pretty early, if you do decide to grow it down the road.

Back