• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Stickman's 2013 Glog - Time To Pull The Plug on 2013

I'm pulling things together to get ready for my next growing season. I bought NuMex variety seeds from Sandia Seed company in New Mexico, Hot Paper Lantern Habaneros and Antohi Romanians from Johnny's Select Seeds in Maine and Korean varieties from Evergreen Seeds in California. Due to the unbelievable generosity of a number of THP members I've also gotten seeds to a wide variety of chiles from around the world. Special thanks to BootsieB, stc3248, romy6, PaulG, SoCalChilehead, joynershotpeppers, highalt, cmpman1974, smokemaster, mygrassisblue, Mister No, chewi, KingDenniz, orrozconleche and most recently and spectacularly, Habanerohead with a great selection of superhots and peppers from Hungary!
SANY0193.jpg

There are eleven varieties of Hungarian peppers in here, mostly the early, thick-fleshed, sweet ones that range from white through yellow to purple and red.., plus Aji Lemon Drop, BJ Indian Carbon, Naga Morich, Bishop's Crown and TS CARDI Yellow! Now I just have to go through my seed bank and match the space available to what I want to grow. Thanks Balázs!

Aight...so how ever long that was??? Ripe Manzanos this week. I will try to look back to when first pod set was...but it was a LONG time ago!

So...70ish days from pod set on may 25th to ripe.

stc3248 said:
Aight...so how ever long that was??? Ripe Manzanos this week. I will try to look back to when first pod set was...but it was a LONG time ago!

So...70ish days from pod set on may 25th to ripe.
Thanks Shane! My Manzanos started setting pods on June 17th, so call it about 3 weeks behind yours. The weather here's been quite a bit different than SoCal, but with the solar mulch down on the ground, I hope it'll shake out at 70 days. That would make them start ripening by the 26th.

Hey Rick, I've been away for some time, but I see you're doing great :)

Great pepper reviews, and excellent job on the lightbox!

I'm gonna visit my parents today or  tomorrow, see how my peppers are doing, maybe cut of few green Poblanos and try stuffing them. I will let most of them ripe and dry them for Ancho!

Have a nice weekend.

MisterNo said:
Hey Rick, I've been away for some time, but I see you're doing great :)

Great pepper reviews, and excellent job on the lightbox!

I'm gonna visit my parents today or  tomorrow, see how my peppers are doing, maybe cut of few green Poblanos and try stuffing them. I will let most of them ripe and dry them for Ancho!

Have a nice weekend.
Hi Robert,
   Thanks for stopping in! I've also been too busy this last week to spend much time here, but getting a little caught up this morning before making breakfast and heading out to work.

I hope you like the Poblanos! And I hope you get a few pics too.

The first of your Kapia peppers are almost fully ripe... another day or two should do it. I can't wait to try one, and plan to try  freeze the rest for ajvar. I have 3 plants set in my garden, but another 14 in my Mom's. She planted out a month after me, but hers are starting to ripen too. Hopefully we'll have enough peppers to make a case 1 liter jars of the ajvar.

stickman said:
The first of your Kapia peppers are almost fully ripe... another day or two should do it. I can't wait to try one, and plan to try  freeze the rest for ajvar. I have 3 plants set in my garden, but another 14 in my Mom's. She planted out a month after me, but hers are starting to ripen too. Hopefully we'll have enough peppers to make a case 1 liter jars of the ajvar.

I think you'll have enough for that.

If you desire even more ajvar, maybe you can ad some others horn shaped peppers, or make another batch. Vesena and Elephant are authentic Macedonian peppers for making hot ajvar, I guess some other horn shaped peppers could blend in, like Krimson Lee or Marconi.

Cheers!

stickman said:
Thanks Shane! My Manzanos started setting pods on June 17th, so call it about 3 weeks behind yours. The weather here's been quite a bit different than SoCal, but with the solar mulch down on the ground, I hope it'll shake out at 70 days. That would make them start ripening by the 26th.
I hope so??? Yeah...your plant came out of the same bag of seeds, but I just sorted the supermarket pods by size and saved that way. Mine look to have ripened more on the yellow side too. Some Yellows always mixed in with the Orange...mine are pretty big, but not quite as large as some of the largest ones I have seen. Thinking you'd be better suited with the smaller podded type. Even if your weather has them a bit slower, that still puts you in the game in September! Your gonna see some ripe ones buddy! :party:

Hi all, it's been too long since I did a Dawn Patrol, so I pulled one this morning before breakfast since I finally have something to report.

Apparently, there really is a difference between ripening and a purple suntan on the Douglahs.

SANY0181_zps7efdcb89.jpg

SANY0182_zps4fa24500.jpg

And there's more color to report!

Maya Red in the airpot
SANY0179_zps1b1be0df.jpg

In-ground Yellow 7
SANY0190_zps9fc4abcf.jpg

Kapia peppers
SANY0189_zps1c720c18.jpg

Fish Pepper
SANY0191_zps8cb11906.jpg

Yellow Bhuts are plugging along
SANY0185_zpsc96c2494.jpg

Believe it or not... this is just two Omnicolor plants...
SANY0184_zps817eefaf.jpg

Peruvian Purple has bounced back nicely after pinching back all the primary growth.
SANY0183_zps4bbaa30d.jpg

And the Aji Panca has stopped putting out flowers in ones and twos, and dropping those... I hope this means it's finally ready for pod production.
SANY0188_zpsa1451e9f.jpg

Have a great Saturday all!

Wow!!! Yup...those Omnicolors are the king of sprawl! Fish Pepper looking exceptionally fishy... Careful with the Dougies brother...be afraid, be very afraid! My pods get that purple tan too. Your Yellow Bhut looks suspect though...should come to a point. If they turn Yellow though, you may be onto a really awesome cross! Still has the Bhut wedge shape and looks to be very prolific! Anything with a Yellow Bhut mama is off to a great start, I will be watching those with ya! The Kapias look cool with their striped looking ripening. What's the flavor like on those dudes? They look very much like a Numex type chile, what do they get used for?

I see what you mean about the Peruvian Purple.  I like the color of yours too!  Don't think it's the sun here making mine darker,  as it is on the back patio, and only gets sun until 2 or 3 in the afternoon, with some of that being filtered light due to the pergola and grapevines.  My plant is way more compact and bushy though.

When I grew the Aji Panca, it set pods 2 or 3 weeks before the first frost.  Needless to say, it didn't make the next year's growlist!

Hope things slow down for you a bit.  You are going to need some extra time to process all of the pods that are about to start rolling in!!!

Always exciting when pods start to ripen and see them change. Busy plants you've got, the pods just keep coming :P

Let's hope the aji panca will soon join in.

stc3248 said:
Wow!!! Yup...those Omnicolors are the king of sprawl! Fish Pepper looking exceptionally fishy... Careful with the Dougies brother...be afraid, be very afraid! My pods get that purple tan too. Your Yellow Bhut looks suspect though...should come to a point. If they turn Yellow though, you may be onto a really awesome cross! Still has the Bhut wedge shape and looks to be very prolific! Anything with a Yellow Bhut mama is off to a great start, I will be watching those with ya! The Kapias look cool with their striped looking ripening. What's the flavor like on those dudes? They look very much like a Numex type chile, what do they get used for?
Thanks Shane... I'll bear your warning in mind... ;)  OK, maybe not a pure Yellow Bhut, but that was what was on the label when I bought it at the nursery. Looks like we'll both be looking forward to seeing what I have here. One thing's for sure... they're big pods. Maybe even bigger than the ones on my in-ground Magnum Yellow 7. Wouldn't that be a kick if what I have is the two crossed...

Kapias are sweet peppers. Very sweet in fact... more so than a Bell pepper, and having thick, crunchy flesh like them. They also have a more concentrated pepper flavor. I can see why the folks in eastern Europe concentrate them even further by making them into ajvar. If you've never tried it, you should! It makes a killer spread on sandwiches and can substitute for tomato sauce in pizza. It can be jazzed up with pepper powder/flakes to your taste, but sweet is my favorite. DocNrock did a great pictoral of the process in the sauces thread if you want to check it out.   http://thehotpepper.com/topic/36298-ajvar/

highalt said:
I see what you mean about the Peruvian Purple.  I like the color of yours too!  Don't think it's the sun here making mine darker,  as it is on the back patio, and only gets sun until 2 or 3 in the afternoon, with some of that being filtered light due to the pergola and grapevines.  My plant is way more compact and bushy though.

When I grew the Aji Panca, it set pods 2 or 3 weeks before the first frost.  Needless to say, it didn't make the next year's growlist!

Hope things slow down for you a bit.  You are going to need some extra time to process all of the pods that are about to start rolling in!!!
Thanks for the info Bonnie! I didn't know that about the Aji Panca or I might have passed it up for a shorter-season chile instead. Live and learn though... ;)

It's pretty amazing how much variation there still is between individual plants. Maybe there's more to it than just differences in terroir.

It's always a scramble to process the pods when they start coming in, but I wouldn't trade the sense of accomplishment afterwards! Cheers...

Sorry Lauren... Papa Sic is in Florida, and I'm in Massachusetts. I'm glad you liked what he sent you though. He's a straight-up guy.

All see is looooaaaded plants!

Great grow you have going on!

The Yellow Bhuts and Omnicolor's are producing really well!

I like the Peruvian Purple, cool looking! Let me know how it tastes...

So I have been really digging the Hab sauce you sent, is the recipe published? Hint, hint:).....just killer! And the jam has been consumed...great stuff!

Have a great weekend!

Devv said:
All see is looooaaaded plants!

Great grow you have going on!

The Yellow Bhuts and Omnicolor's are producing really well!

I like the Peruvian Purple, cool looking! Let me know how it tastes...

So I have been really digging the Hab sauce you sent, is the recipe published? Hint, hint:).....just killer! And the jam has been consumed...great stuff!

Have a great weekend!
Thanks for the good vibe Scott! I'm glad you liked the sauce and jam... did LB ever try any of the jam?
The recipe for the sauce was buried further back in my glog here... http://thehotpepper.com/topic/35512-stickmans-2013-glog-chinense-are-ripening/page-69#entry839143
Let me know if you have any other questions. Cheers!

Oh Yeah She tried it and liked it! And it's all gone! Great stuff!

Now to get her to try the Hab sauce, she's really cautious about eating anything I say "it;s not really hot" but I'm working on her...slow but sure...LOL

Thanks for the link!

Devv said:
Oh Yeah She tried it and liked it! And it's all gone! Great stuff!

Now to get her to try the Hab sauce, she's really cautious about eating anything I say "it;s not really hot" but I'm working on her...slow but sure...LOL

Thanks for the link!
Good luck with convincing LB Scott... ;)    I was lucky to find a woman that already liked spicy food, and I've been gradually increasing her tolerance.

Glad you like the sauce... I tried to make one that would work well with either savory or sweet foods and not be too acidic tasting despite the pH.
Speaking of my wife, she's up in New Hampshire today with a friend of hers from NYC, and she took the good camera. I took these with the wonky backup... :rolleyes:
   I've collected enough ripe Annuums to start Ristras

Gochu
IMAG0001_zps1de65516.jpg

Chimayo'
IMAG0002_zps7f6cc8a9.jpg

Hungarian Sweet Paprika
IMAG0003_zpsd637b8b8.jpg

Some of last year's Annuum powders seemed to go stale fairly quickly, so this year I decided to dry them whole and just grind what I need at any given time. Unfortunately the backup camera won't take decent pics of them, but I have a gallon-sized freezer bag half full of dried Gochus and another almost half full of Chimayo's. The Paprika powder will go so fast that I'll grind them all up at once. Cheers all!

HI Rick!

I am glad to see that you have already harvested some peppers!
Regarding the Hungarian Paprika, be sure that it is in a dry and good aerated place. Last year by the time we harvested them, autumn arrived, and even they were outside, in the humid environment they did not really dry out well. Therefore we put them on the top of the stove, so in a couple of days they were ready. I was cutting them in half to see whether they are ok, and like in 10-15 % of them there were mold growing, which I believe was due to the humid weather. Therefore this year I am planning to dry them in the dehydrator. They were a really big surprise for my Mom, since compared to the shop-bought ones they had the best paprika tase we have ever tasted, and the colour they were giving to our food was outstanding. You are going to enjoy them, I am sure!

Balázs

those hungarian sweet paprika look gorgeous. snack worthy

then again, those douglahs look like a good snack until my stomach tells my brain not to even think about it. 

nice little harvest going on there! :)

Good stuff, Rick. Those ristras look awesome, I've been doing the same thing every time I pulled a ripe Chimayo :) I leave them to dry in the shed where it's pretty hot during the summer so they are dry rather quickly. Your plants look amazing also, I just love Baccatums for their exuberance. The Peruvian Purple looks very similar like the Chinese 5-Color I must say. How's it going with the rest of the non-peppers in the garden??

Back