• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Stickman's 2014 Glog- That's all folks!

Hi All,
   I've got Manzanos sprouted and my Bhuts, Lotah Bih and Donne Sali seeds planted so it looks like time to leave 2103 behind and begin to concentrate on 2014. Last year I started some of my late-season varieties right after New Year's Day, but our season was too short to bring the pods to full ripeness so this year I started 2-3 weeks earlier.

Manzano seedlings...
SANY0561_zps2721a954.jpg

Fruts and Bhuts ;) ...
SANY0563_zps751c84bc.jpg

There are many more varieties yet to plant in the proper turn, and I have 4 overwintered pepper plants from 2013 that I'll report on later. Have a great weekend all!

ronniedeb said:
Seedlings are coming along nicely Stickman. Dont forget to send me on your address for those seeds!

Thanks for the reminder Ronan... pm sent. :)

It's been 3 weeks since I planted my round 2 seeds, and all came up but the Pequins and Brown Egg, so I pitched both of them and started again with Horticubes. Thanks go out to Coheed for that one... He's had very good results germinating wild varieties with them. I owe you one for the tip cousin!
SANY0792_zps7e68fc6d.jpg

I committed my last Brown Egg seeds to this latest endeavor and went a little nuts with wild seeds. I sowed Pequin varieties from Smokemaster and brother Shane, Dilley Street Tamwork from cmpman, Wild Brazil (also from Shane), Goat's Weed, and Chintexle from Waywright. Round 3 goes high tech!

Aren't brown eggs considered a seasoning pepper?

I believe I have 2 up and running. I'm going to be hard pressed to grow out much more than 1 plant per variety, save a few.

Good luck on round three!

Pinoy83 said:
what on earth is brown egg

Hi Brah,
   It's a mild to medium hot Chinense pepper that's round like an egg and brown. It looks a lot like a Brown Rocoto. I've never tried one, but GA GH grew them last year and his description of the flavor profile piqued my interest... http://thehotpepper.com/topic/35864-ga-ghs-garden-2013/?view=findpost&p=870345

Devv said:
Aren't brown eggs considered a seasoning pepper?

I believe I have 2 up and running. I'm going to be hard pressed to grow out much more than 1 plant per variety, save a few.

Good luck on round three!

Thanks Scott, I've got my fingers crossed too... :) I seem to remember Jason saying he liked using them fresh, but I haven't had the pleasure yet. Looking forward to it is all I can say... ;)

Hey Bud, that Naga King is looking mighty fine. It's loving that magic in your green fingers for sure... whatever youre doing - keep on going and you will end up with monsters! The other seedlings are looking great too... loads of variety on the cards... it's going to be a bumper season for ya!

Hi Rick, another excellent glog here ;)

There's always something new to see and learn from your glogs.
You are already in full speed, looking forward to follow this thread.

PeriPeri said:
Hey Bud, that Naga King is looking mighty fine. It's loving that magic in your green fingers for sure... whatever youre doing - keep on going and you will end up with monsters! The other seedlings are looking great too... loads of variety on the cards... it's going to be a bumper season for ya!

You don't know the half of it Lourens... yesterday I checked the bottom of the pot the largest King Naga was in, and 3 root tips were poking out the holes in the bottom. I up-potted it to a 1 liter airpot so the roots could get some air-pruning and development. I have no doubt I'll be up-potting again before dirt-day. :dance:
SANY0801_zpsf18afede.jpg

MisterNo said:
Hi Rick, another excellent glog here ;)

There's always something new to see and learn from your glogs.
You are already in full speed, looking forward to follow this thread.

Hi Robert... Welcome aboard! I was just downstairs checking on the babies there and found another hook in the Kapijas for a total of 24. I planted 25 seeds and have no doubt the last will pop in the next day or so. The Kapija babies are in the 3 pots in the back of this pic...
SANY0802_zpsd9bba6c1.jpg

A "non" pic to round out today's post... The flat of Cipollini Onions looking good... I have another flat of White Onions that is almost as far along, and will probably catch up in the next day or so.
SANY0800_zps5d7c7c58.jpg

I'm sitting home since work was cancelled due to inclement weather. We got 5 inches of snow in about an hour and should get another 3 by this afternoon they tell me. Happy hump day all!

Rick that's quite an indoor grow you have going....no slack from the East coast !
How do the Cipollini Onions grow in your Zone ? I haven't grown onions for a few years. My sister does the Garlic, Shallots and Onions.....she always gives me too many !
I see you MoA's are perking up nicely...hope its a good year for all who've planted them.

maximumcapsicum said:
Great onions Rick! Love photos of your operation... Everything is so uniform and organized. I bet the liter air pruner helps out a bunch. That Naga King is going to become a beast.

I think so Adam... I had a Yellow 7 last year that grew just like it... it was half again bigger than any of my other peppers. :party:

romy6 said:
 I have no idea how you do it Rick?  But keep up the amazing/educational  grow.  :dance:

Thanks Bruddah Jamie... I'm just trying to catch up to you! :P

Jeff H said:
Peppers and onions all look good Rick. I checked on my onions yesterday and I think I saw a hook or two. I;ll know for sure when I get home today.

Good on ya Jeff! If you like onions, you won't be sorry giving 'em a good head start. Bear in mind they like a lot of humus in the soil and are fairly heavy Nitrogen feeders. They do best with even moisture during the growing season too... they don't like to be dry.

PIC 1 said:
Rick that's quite an indoor grow you have going....no slack from the East coast !
How do the Cipollini Onions grow in your Zone ? I haven't grown onions for a few years. My sister does the Garlic, Shallots and Onions.....she always gives me too many !
I see you MoA's are perking up nicely...hope its a good year for all who've planted them.

Thanks Greg! I appreciate the good vibe. I haven't grown Cippolini before this year, but onions in general do very well for me here. Probably because I spend so much time improving the soil. I know the Cippolini are long-day onions, so they grow well here in the north. You might possibly want to put in a row of them along your fence in between the peppers and tomatoes... I understand they repel certain pests and they take up very little space themselves.

Definitely looking forward to the MoAs! I'm a sucker for Jerk seasoning!

Everything is greening up nicely Rickster!!! I should really give onions a whirl. I think they'd be a perfect winter crop. You got me motivated to grow some winter crops next season...we'll see if that motivation carries on until fall.

Back