• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Stickman's 2015 - That's All She Wrote...

Hi All! It's been an incredibly busy winter dealing with one thing and another, and it's only about half over here. :rolleyes:  Still, it's time to get on the stick and put my seeds in the dirt in preparation for plant-out in another 12 weeks or so. I have a Manzano over-wintering inside that's going on its third year. It's next to a sliding glass door with a great southern exposure but the light it gets here this time of year is pretty paltry... I expect it'll start to perk up sometime in March. I have a couple of MoA Scotch Bonnets over-wintering at a friend's house because there wasn't space in front of the sliding glass door for them and my wife's indoor plants... the deal is that if they both survive the winter, we'll split the plants. If not, he'll keep the one that lives. That seems fair since he did all the work. ;)

The rest of the list is looking like this...

Pubiscens Varieties
Total bust this year... nothing that germinated survived.

Baccatum:
Ditto

Frutascens:
Tabasco
Hawaiian Bird chile

Chacoense:
Ditto

Chinense:
7-pot Yellow Turned out to be a red "Not"
MoA Scotch Bonnet
Beni Highlands... Also turned out to be a "Not"... maybe a Mako Akokrosade cross?
Ja Hab
Trinidad Perfume
Zavory

Annuum:
Cabe Rawit (mouse turd pepper, in Singapore where the seeds were collected they're called Cili Padi)
Red Thai
Biggie Chile Anaheim

Poblano Gigantia
Jalapeno Ciclon
Jalapeno Tormenta
Serrano Tampiqueno
Hungarian Hot Wax
Almapaprika
Ethiopian Brown Berbere

I'll also be planting a sweet Criolla de Cucina plants and about 20 sweet Kurtovska Kapijas. The Kapijas have the longest growing and ripening times of any Annuum I know, but they're big, meaty sweet peppers that average around a half a pound apiece... just the thing for making that eastern european condiment called Ajvar.

Too tired to say more now, but will pick up later... Cheers!

maximumcapsicum said:
Plants look great Rick. Sorry to hear about the Bahamian Goats... I am still living off frozen pods from last years harvest. Mellow for a chinense.

The soaker houses look great. When I get my own space I am going to set it up that way.

Thanks for the update!

Cheers Adam! The ones Coheed mailed me a couple of years ago were truly tasty and made a great jerk marinade. Have you ever tried making one yourself?

JoynersHotPeppers said:
I can send ya some fresh BG's later in the season assuming all mine grow true :)

That'd be cool Chris... I have six MoA Bonnet plants doing very well ATM, maybe we can make a trade if you want when we get enough ripe pods.

Just wanted to mention the "Save a Drop" water meter I got for about $25 from the manufacturer. I knew about the company because I already had their "Kill-a-watt" meter for measuring how much electricity a given appliance uses, and I'm very happy with it, so they seemed a likely candidate when I found out that they also sold a pass-through water meter that screwed onto a standard hose bib. It measures in tenths of a gallon or in liters, and has two readouts for single use and season total water usage. Their customer service is also decent... the first one they sent me didn't work right, and when I told them about it they sent me another one at no cost via SFRB. http://www.p3international.com/products/p0550.html
It's been a big help getting the timing on the soaker hoses dialed in, and vetoed my original plan to flood the ditches between the Kapija rows. I only did it once when preparing the rows for planting and found that this method used over 400 gallons of water... probably because of the sandy loam we have for soil. Flooding may work better for heavy clay soils where it takes awhile to penetrate.

I got my squash and cucumbers planted today, so I'm "All In" to the Poker hand that's this year's growing season. We could use some rain for sure, but things are growing well with drip irrigation meanwhile. In addition to the usual Korean Ho Bak squash and pickling cukes, I'm trying a few kabocha winter squash for the first time as well.

Jeff H said:
Garden is looking real nice Rick. Should perform outstanding for you with all the prep work you did.

Thanks Jeff, I certainly hope so... :) 

Saw my first Chinense flower today! :dance:  The Orange 7-Pot is definitely looking for love, though the nights are still so cool here that it's likely to just drop its flowers until they get into the 60s. Nice to see though...
SANY0026_zps6pehwivc.jpg

A close-up of some of the new growth on the Manzano
SANY0029_zpsrpmzmon9.jpg

Take care all!

Swingin' right along.......

2 days till I jump on that helo and get feet dry.

Looking at the various drip vs seeper set ups on here....I kinda like the uniform dispersal of seeper sections, vs drips. Gotta keep it simple, but drips get a bit spotty unless you have more than 1 drip sta per plant.

As to raised rows..."What Sawyer said"

tctenten said:
It is only a matter of time now Rick.  Those plants will be full of pods.  

Cheers Terry! I'm looking forward to seeing how your Boyanski Kapija peppers compare to the Kurtovska Kapijas.

gnslngr said:
Swingin' right along.......

2 days till I jump on that helo and get feet dry.

Looking at the various drip vs seeper set ups on here....I kinda like the uniform dispersal of seeper sections, vs drips. Gotta keep it simple, but drips get a bit spotty unless you have more than 1 drip sta per plant.

As to raised rows..."What Sawyer said"

Cool! I hope your pepper babies are in good shape when you get home. Agreed on seepers vs drip emitters and raised rows, though I've had good results with drip emitters in 5 gallon pots the last couple of years. I seem to remember Shane used a ring of seeper hose in his larger pots.

Did another round of shopping to replace the pepper plants that succumbed to cutworms and the dry, cold conditions this spring...
SANY0030_zpshehuoljt.jpg

SANY0032_zpsax4lzup2.jpg

SANY0031_zps8r1lpjdz.jpg

SANY0033_zpsthng17ty.jpg

SANY0035_zpsebejbgd7.jpg

SANY0034_zps5t2j4dyn.jpg

I got two of each of the varieties pictured, and also of red and yellow Marconi peppers. I'm still finding and crushing cutworms, but assuming I don't lose any more plants, this is what my final grow list looks like...

Over-winter plants:
Manzano (3rd year)

Frutascens:
Hawaiian Bird chile

Chinense:
Brown 7-pot Bubblegum
7-pot Orange
MoA Scotch Bonnet
King Naga
Bhut Jalokia
JA Habanero
Fatali
Zavory
Trinidad Perfume

C. Chacoense:
CAP 501

Annuum:
Ethiopian Brown
"Biggie Chile" Anaheim
Poblano
Jalapeno Tormenta
Jalapeno Ciclon
Jalapeno El Jefe
Serrano Tampiqueno
Almapaprika
Hargita F1 (Hot Wax)

Sweets:
Nagykuti (Hungarian Pimiento)
Pritamin (Hungarian Pimiento)
Kurtovska Kapija
Red Marconi
Yellow Marconi
Criolla de Cocina (from Nicaragua)

These companies just get too big and can't protect themselves. 

The garden is looking great Rick. Glad to see you got some chinense buds forming. Summer is on its way...

The new growth on the OW looks very nice. I was talking to my dad and he said one of his plants was dying and losing all of its leaves. He said there's nice big leaves and it looks like a little bush at the very bottom. I told him to prune it and it will come back strong. He lives in San Diego so his season is year round for the most part. He's happy that it's not going to die. LOL. Anyways, looking good and lovin the list.

KiNGDeNNiZ said:
Things look great. .sorry to hear about you ID theft story.... I'm still dealing with Verizon. Someone made an account and racked up 1200... now it's in collections

Like the good vibe DeNNiZ, but definitely UN-like your problems with identity theft. :( Verizon's not very quick on the uptake at the best of times, and like most utilities does'nt take security as seriously as the banks. Good luck brother... we're pullin' for ya.

maximumcapsicum said:
These companies just get too big and can't protect themselves. 

The garden is looking great Rick. Glad to see you got some chinense buds forming. Summer is on its way...

Maybe not quite yet Adam... there's a freeze warning tonight and maybe the next two nights as well :banghead:  I covered the peppers for the night, so they should be OK...
520.jpg_zpsfd5xwhkv.png

meatfreak said:
Looking good, Rick. The Jalapeno Tormenta was my big favorite last season, excellent taste and even when ripe!

Excellent! There are flowers on the El Jefe and Ciclon varieties, it probably won't be long for the Tormenta.

OCD Chilehead said:
The new growth on the OW looks very nice. I was talking to my dad and he said one of his plants was dying and losing all of its leaves. He said there's nice big leaves and it looks like a little bush at the very bottom. I told him to prune it and it will come back strong. He lives in San Diego so his season is year round for the most part. He's happy that it's not going to die. LOL. Anyways, looking good and lovin the list.

Cheers Chuck! I understand the Manzanos get to be actual trees in South America... maybe your dad can get one to that stage in San Diego.

Have a good evening all!

Hi Rick,I am going to be pulling a few off life support this weekend and drop in a couple plants the "Cotton Candy Crowd"would like.We just had some that took to long to germ and cool wet weather their first 2 weeks they have been out was to much for them.I have not had to deal with frost so I have been lucky.
  Keep your chin up,better days are ahead.

That's great, Rick. I'm growing the El Jefe again to this year, also doing an experiment with it as I'm growing both the F-1 and F-4 from selecting on desired traits these past years. Wanna compare to see if we succeeded.

We had a freeze warning on Tuesday, so that's probably the same front you got right after that. I hope it's about done.  Memorial Day is almost here, so it should be close.

That Orange 7 Pot is a bushy plant, isn't it?  Looks like it will be a superstar for you this year.

randyp said:
Fr

Hi Rick,I am going to be pulling a few off life support this weekend and drop in a couple plants the "Cotton Candy Crowd"would like.We just had some that took to long to germ and cool wet weather their first 2 weeks they have been out was to much for them.I have not had to deal with frost so I have been lucky.
  Keep your chin up,better days are ahead.

It got down to 38 degrees last night Randy... not quite as cold as they predicted but I'm not complaining. From here on out it's supposed to ratchet up until it hits the 60s overnight by the end of the week. :dance:  Nightshades and Cucurbits will love it but now I'll have to set up the air conditioner in the bedroom window... :)

meatfreak said:
That's great, Rick. I'm growing the El Jefe again to this year, also doing an experiment with it as I'm growing both the F-1 and F-4 from selecting on desired traits these past years. Wanna compare to see if we succeeded.

Cool! I'll definitely keep an eye on your glog to see how that came out. Cheers Stefan!

Pulpiteer said:
We had a freeze warning on Tuesday, so that's probably the same front you got right after that. I hope it's about done.  Memorial Day is almost here, so it should be close.

That Orange 7 Pot is a bushy plant, isn't it?  Looks like it will be a superstar for you this year.

There's blossoms on the Bhuts, the 7-Pot, the JA Habs, Bonnets and the OW Manzano Andy... things are definitely looking up! :)

Still quite small, but soldiering on... Hawaiian Bird Chile
SANY0055_zpsfjaelnrx.jpg

Hungarians...
SANY0056_zpsf5psd7yv.jpg

SANY0058_zps5rxtpajz.jpg

SANY0057_zpsi48y7uug.jpg

The 17 surviving Kapijas all look pretty much like this...
SANY0061_zps2aq0wfms.jpg

King Naga
SANY0038_zpscjqhimkl.jpg

Bhut Jalokia
SANY0037_zpstenttce1.jpg

JA Habs
SANY0036_zpsnchcnao3.jpg

MoA Bonnets
SANY0039_zpsgftlmqyx.jpg

Almost everything is up in the veggie garden too... I'm just waiting on the pickling cukes, Ho Bak squash and Kabocha pumpkins.
SANY0051_zps5dggcyyk.jpg

Hope everybody has a great holiday weekend!

stc3248 said:
Finally looking like spring up your way! Congrats! A few more cool nights won't hurt them. 

Thanks Shane! I think the plants that didn't make it were just too small to survive the shocks Ma Nature threw at them this spring. The last few weeks went back and forth between hot and cold temperatures, and dry as dust besides. We have green grass here but it's so dry that people are raising clouds of dust when they go over their lawns with their lawn mowers. The chiles that were big enough to send roots down pretty deep are the ones that made it. I always plant out a bit early as I think it increases the amount of flowers the plants put out over the course of the growing season.

Here's some pics from this morning's Dawn Patrol of the Manzano you sent me 2 years ago... still going strong and putting out flower buds.
SANY0063_zpsu32tu6rj.jpg

SANY0062_zpsbgff3gnf.jpg

Back