• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Stickman's 2015 - That's All She Wrote...

Hi All! It's been an incredibly busy winter dealing with one thing and another, and it's only about half over here. :rolleyes:  Still, it's time to get on the stick and put my seeds in the dirt in preparation for plant-out in another 12 weeks or so. I have a Manzano over-wintering inside that's going on its third year. It's next to a sliding glass door with a great southern exposure but the light it gets here this time of year is pretty paltry... I expect it'll start to perk up sometime in March. I have a couple of MoA Scotch Bonnets over-wintering at a friend's house because there wasn't space in front of the sliding glass door for them and my wife's indoor plants... the deal is that if they both survive the winter, we'll split the plants. If not, he'll keep the one that lives. That seems fair since he did all the work. ;)

The rest of the list is looking like this...

Pubiscens Varieties
Total bust this year... nothing that germinated survived.

Baccatum:
Ditto

Frutascens:
Tabasco
Hawaiian Bird chile

Chacoense:
Ditto

Chinense:
7-pot Yellow Turned out to be a red "Not"
MoA Scotch Bonnet
Beni Highlands... Also turned out to be a "Not"... maybe a Mako Akokrosade cross?
Ja Hab
Trinidad Perfume
Zavory

Annuum:
Cabe Rawit (mouse turd pepper, in Singapore where the seeds were collected they're called Cili Padi)
Red Thai
Biggie Chile Anaheim

Poblano Gigantia
Jalapeno Ciclon
Jalapeno Tormenta
Serrano Tampiqueno
Hungarian Hot Wax
Almapaprika
Ethiopian Brown Berbere

I'll also be planting a sweet Criolla de Cucina plants and about 20 sweet Kurtovska Kapijas. The Kapijas have the longest growing and ripening times of any Annuum I know, but they're big, meaty sweet peppers that average around a half a pound apiece... just the thing for making that eastern european condiment called Ajvar.

Too tired to say more now, but will pick up later... Cheers!

maximumcapsicum said:
Love seeing the plants in the ground even the weather is here and there. The manzanos look great... Do they match production each season?

They're such a slow-growing and ripening pepper that I've only gotten about a dozen pods from it per season Adam. Of course I cut them back to sticks to OW until this past winter. Then I had it growing inside in a pot in front of a south-facing sliding glass door so it got good light. Aphids were a problem, and the leaves it had inside didn't survive contact with real-world conditions when it went outside this spring, but my hope is that keeping it inside all winter will equal a head-start on the season and more pods. We'll see what happens...

OCD Chilehead said:
Thanks Rick. You have a good holiday as well. The king naga looks like it's ready to take off. Can't get enough of the OW pics. Gotta love that garden plot pic too. That's a true work of art.

Thanks for the good vibe Chuck, but I suspect my garden's the product of an anal-retentive mind... ;)

randyp said:
    Gotta get that AC in for sure Rick.An uncomfortable gardener makes for a very uncomfortable garden. :party:

I expect you have lots of experience with things going from cold to hot very quickly, eh Randy? :)

I just couldn't stand looking at some of the holes in the pepper beds, so I got a few more plants to plug the gaps in the line.  Leutshauer Paprika, Thai Prik Kee Nu chiles, and a hybrid Thai variety called "Bangkok" from Johnny's Seeds in Maine.

We're off to my Mom's today, and I'll get caught up on all the glogs I'm following when we get back tomorrow... Cheers all, have a great holiday weekend!

Yeah from THP it seems the manzanos are two-year projects at least. I got one with some fruits and another that drops all its flowers. I haven't had a great track record with OWs but I am still optimistic.

The plants look amazing as always. Keep the pics coming!

maximumcapsicum said:
Yeah from THP it seems the manzanos are two-year projects at least. I got one with some fruits and another that drops all its flowers. I haven't had a great track record with OWs but I am still optimistic.

The plants look amazing as always. Keep the pics coming!

Maybe what you need to do is to hand-pick the Pubiscens varieties that you plant Adam... Manzanos are mountain peppers that like it a bit cooler than it is in Atlanta in summer, but I've heard of other varieties that grow in the lowlands, and they may be more appropriate to your area like the Costa Rican Yellow pubes  I tried to get going this year. I didn't have any luck, but you might do better.

bpiela said:
Awesome pics of your garden! It will be a great year!

Thanks for the good vibe Ben!

We finally got a good rain last night... a quick rush of strong wind and heavy rain that tapered off to a slow soak for a couple of hours. The bird bath was empty when it started and there's almost 2 inches in there now. We should see a pretty good growth spurt in a few days. :dance:

Yeah fair enough. This was a trial run... I think the rocotos I am growing are Peruvian in ultimate origin. I think they like the light but not the temps. I bet I get a bunch to set in the very early part of the next season. One plant is producing well though, so it may be a light or fertilizer issue (I experimented with fertilizers in different pots). In any event I definitely want to try some of the more mesoamerican varieties, just couldn't get the manzanos to germ this year.

maximumcapsicum said:
Yeah fair enough. This was a trial run... I think the rocotos I am growing are Peruvian in ultimate origin. I think they like the light but not the temps. I bet I get a bunch to set in the very early part of the next season. One plant is producing well though, so it may be a light or fertilizer issue (I experimented with fertilizers in different pots). In any event I definitely want to try some of the more mesoamerican varieties, just couldn't get the manzanos to germ this year.

Cool! Keep on plugging... I'd be interested in your results.

Came home from work today and had another rain shower! I'm all for this trend... we got 0.2 inches of rain in the last 4 weeks, and half an inch in the last two days... http://vid1166.photobucket.com/albums/q611/heebner/SANY0072_zps5kkkbat5.mp4  

Kind of a before and after pic series... yesterday morning before the rain...
SANY0064_zps8xbpx1nj.jpg

... and today after two days of showers...
SANY0075_zpsjzcpoq7m.jpg

JA Habs are beginning to flower...
SANY0074_zpsqjzdhorn.jpg

... and the Bhut Jalokia as well.
SANY0073_zpsuko9vtve.jpg

I'm trying to get some Sesame plants going, and have about half a dozen seedlings sprouted. They're still very small, but I understand they'll grow quickly in the heat of the summer. We go through a lot of Sesame seeds in the course of a year, so it'll be interesting to see how many seeds we get from those plants.
SANY0071_zpsio5hh8tm.jpg

I got a chuckle looking at those before/after pics.  If there were audio files associated with the pictures, the "before" picture would have a "wah, wah, waahhhh" sound to it and the "after" would be the 1812 Overture.  ;)

FreeportBum said:
Thanks Rick, I took another round of pube clones yesterday. This time from a red rocoto #2 from the Lima market that Nigel picked up over there I was told. Once they root I will pack one up and send it your way buddy.
Hi Rick so it took longer then expected but I chalk it up to the warmer temps but I have a bunch of pube clones rooted in water at the moment if you would like to try shipping one and growing it out let me know. 

FreeportBum said:
Hi Rick so it took longer then expected but I chalk it up to the warmer temps but I have a bunch of pube clones rooted in water at the moment if you would like to try shipping one and growing it out let me know. 

Thanks a lot guy! Pm sent.

Looking great!
Glad they missed the frost.

Lows of 21c at night here right now. Beautiful weather and sunshine. It's about to hit rainy season and then it's tropical weather for me. Less fun than it sounds.

Love the before and after pics Rick. Things are motoring along nicely for you. Will watch your progress with the sesame with interest. Have you made Benne Wafers? Great with a cup of coffee. 

I'm trying to be better about keeping up on glogs in real time this year, yours makes me glad I'm doing so. I think I got here just in time to see your peppers explode. Here's to summer heat! (And enough rain to allow your plants to put it to good use.)

randyp said:
Plants look great Rick.I have 3 or 4 days with heat and humidity on the way and cant wait. ;)

It just amazes me how much the plants can grow after a couple of days of soaking rain and a few days of good sun. Hope you got those warm days!

bpiela said:
I got a chuckle looking at those before/after pics.  If there were audio files associated with the pictures, the "before" picture would have a "wah, wah, waahhhh" sound to it and the "after" would be the 1812 Overture.  ;)

Heh, heh... I got a chuckle out of your comparison too Ben, cheers!

georgej said:
Looking great!
Glad they missed the frost.

Lows of 21c at night here right now. Beautiful weather and sunshine. It's about to hit rainy season and then it's tropical weather for me. Less fun than it sounds.

You certainly don't need typhoons in the neighborhood like you did last summer, that's for sure! Good luck to you G, and thanks for the good vibe!

ronniedeb said:
Love the before and after pics Rick. Things are motoring along nicely for you. Will watch your progress with the sesame with interest. Have you made Benne Wafers? Great with a cup of coffee. 

Cheers Ronan! No, I never had heard about Benne Wafers before... how did you? Have you ever been to the Carolinas before? I found a great recipe and will try making them for sure. Sesame is one of my favorite flavors.... :drooling:

Hybrid Mode 01 said:
     I'm trying to be better about keeping up on glogs in real time this year, yours makes me glad I'm doing so. I think I got here just in time to see your peppers explode. Here's to summer heat! (And enough rain to allow your plants to put it to good use.)

Cheers Carl, and welcome to the zoo! :P

A shout out to Brother Devan (FreeportBum)... thanks so much for sending out those Red Pubiscens clones! I planted them in my raised bed out back as soon as I opened the package and watered them in good. They look a little shocky in these pics, but I have no doubt will perk up by tomorrow morning.
SANY0077%20-%20Copy_zpsmiqllwoh.jpg

SANY0078%20-%20Copy_zpst6vieaj5.jpg

Hey Rick glad they made it. I would give them some shade for a little while if you can. They were rooting indoors on the window and full sun will fry them at the moment I would think.

FreeportBum said:
Hey Rick glad they made it. I would give them some shade for a little while if you can. They were rooting indoors on the window and full sun will fry them at the moment I would think.

Thanks Devan! I'll upend milk crates over them to break the wind and provide partial shade. I'll give them a shot of ferts and make sure they get plenty of water too. Cheers!

KiNGDeNNiZ said:
Pubes.... nice to see things in the ground

Hey Amigo, thanks for the good vibe and dropping by!

Things are surely progressing here. The peppers in the raised bed out back have all doubled in size from what they were before the rains.

My size 10 shoe next to the Orange 7-Pot for scale.
SANY0080%20-%20Copy_zps9w3wtn6f.jpg

MoA Bonnets have started to blossom
SANY0079%20-%20Copy_zps5qkxvpq6.jpg

So has the Manzano
SANY0081%20-%20Copy_zpsvgkrus8o.jpg

The Bhut Jalokia is going nuts! I've never seen so many blossoms at one node before... I count eight here.
SANY0083_zpsg8vfx026.jpg

JA Habs are beginning to blossom too
SANY0091_zpsvyjh599c.jpg

Kapijas are becoming really sturdy-looking plants... that's good because the pods it throws are about the heaviest I know about. The ones I got last year averaged about half a pound apiece.
SANY0085_zpsegw3kbo3.jpg

Everything else in the garden is doing well too... my Sungold cherry tomatoes have set fruit
SANY0088_zpspgkfd9s1.jpg

Tomatillos are halfway up my thigh and covered in blossoms... Cilantro is ready to pick... it'll be time for fresh salsa before you know it!
SANY0087_zps4jifywcy.jpg

For the rest, we're picking Asian greens, lettuce, scallions, fresh herbs including basil, summer savory, parsley and Greek oregano. Strawberries are just starting to ripen too. I love this time of year!

Back