• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Stickman's 2015 - That's All She Wrote...

Hi All! It's been an incredibly busy winter dealing with one thing and another, and it's only about half over here. :rolleyes:  Still, it's time to get on the stick and put my seeds in the dirt in preparation for plant-out in another 12 weeks or so. I have a Manzano over-wintering inside that's going on its third year. It's next to a sliding glass door with a great southern exposure but the light it gets here this time of year is pretty paltry... I expect it'll start to perk up sometime in March. I have a couple of MoA Scotch Bonnets over-wintering at a friend's house because there wasn't space in front of the sliding glass door for them and my wife's indoor plants... the deal is that if they both survive the winter, we'll split the plants. If not, he'll keep the one that lives. That seems fair since he did all the work. ;)

The rest of the list is looking like this...

Pubiscens Varieties
Total bust this year... nothing that germinated survived.

Baccatum:
Ditto

Frutascens:
Tabasco
Hawaiian Bird chile

Chacoense:
Ditto

Chinense:
7-pot Yellow Turned out to be a red "Not"
MoA Scotch Bonnet
Beni Highlands... Also turned out to be a "Not"... maybe a Mako Akokrosade cross?
Ja Hab
Trinidad Perfume
Zavory

Annuum:
Cabe Rawit (mouse turd pepper, in Singapore where the seeds were collected they're called Cili Padi)
Red Thai
Biggie Chile Anaheim

Poblano Gigantia
Jalapeno Ciclon
Jalapeno Tormenta
Serrano Tampiqueno
Hungarian Hot Wax
Almapaprika
Ethiopian Brown Berbere

I'll also be planting a sweet Criolla de Cucina plants and about 20 sweet Kurtovska Kapijas. The Kapijas have the longest growing and ripening times of any Annuum I know, but they're big, meaty sweet peppers that average around a half a pound apiece... just the thing for making that eastern european condiment called Ajvar.

Too tired to say more now, but will pick up later... Cheers!

stc3248 said:
Still lurking...keep 'em green buddy!

Cheers Shane... where are you with your scheduled deployment right now?

Dang it all... it's snowing again tonight and we needed something to warm us up, so I made some Guisado de Pollo (chicken and potato stew from Tehuantepec, Mexico)  It's got onion, garlic, carrot, potato and red bell pepper, a quartered Jalapeno and a couple of Chipotles en Adobo for the spice, and to give it a bright sweet flavor it also has crushed pineapple, culantro and freshly squeezed lime juice. http://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Mexico-Chicken-Potato-Stew   Folks, this stuff is good! :drooling:

SANY0178_zpsepktlkqb.jpg

MisterNo said:
Hey Rick, nice to see you are up and running the hot race again :)
Nice growing list, will be watching how it works out.

Hope you'll get some sun and good temps soon :)

Hey, Robert's in the house! Thanks for stopping by my friend! For those of you who don't already know, he's the guy who turned me on to Kapija peppers and Ajvar. My Mom and I have become so serious about it that we each grow enough plants to make at least 10-12 liters to put away for the winter. I'm growing an Orange 7-pot this year Robert, and if you'd like seeds from it or anything else I have just ask, OK? Things are moving right along in the seed germination trays...
I counted 36 Kapija plants this morning for 50% germination! I'd like at least 4 more, and then the rest are "gravy!"

I see hooks in the Serrano and both Jalapeno cells this morning, so the second half of round 2 sowing is starting to pop! :woohoo:

stc3248 said:
Will be leaving late summer and returning early spring...Hoping I can get a few pulls off two crosses I am trying to stabilize before I depart. 

Cool Shane, which ones are they? Good luck on the upcoming tour... hope it all goes smoothly and you get home as planned!

PeriPeri said:
Buddy, this is like the fifth time in as many months I have ruined my keyboard with drool - AND I BLAME YOU! :drooling: :drooling: :drooling:

Tsk, tsk... (aside) And his mother was so proud of him... I dunno Lourens... haven't you learned by now? ;)

Seriously, I think you should make this if you're gonna experiment with Mexican cuisine. I give it five stars. The combination of Cilantro (or Culantro) and fresh-squeezed Lime juice is a classic flavor in their cooking that pairs well with the Pineapple in this stew. We have Epizote growing wild in our yard and garden, so I'll try making it with that once the growing season gets well underway here. Can you get tinned Chipotles en Adobo in SA? If not, this video covers it...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSmgMBHW1nw&t=11

Essegi said:
It looks indeed! It's on my list now! Thanks!

Pulpiteer said:
Wow, that stew looks amazing...

I'm not kidding... the whole is greater than the sum of its parts in this recipe. Definitely make it!

PeriPeri said:
Hey thanks buddy... this is awesome.. Cliantro = Coriander/Dhania here. I will be making thsi for sure... looks like a feast I could chow down :)

That reminds me... how are your tomatoes doing this season? Are the rats still eating them on you?

stickman said:

Hey, Robert's in the house! Thanks for stopping by my friend! For those of you who don't already know, he's the guy who turned me on to Kapija peppers and Ajvar. My Mom and I have become so serious about it that we each grow enough plants to make at least 10-12 liters to put away for the winter. I'm growing an Orange 7-pot this year Robert, and if you'd like seeds from it or anything else I have just ask, OK? Things are moving right along in the seed germination trays...
I counted 36 Kapija plants this morning for 50% germination! I'd like at least 4 more, and then the rest are "gravy!"

Hey Rick, thanks for the offer and the kind words. I think it's maybe too late to take those orange 7 pots into dirt this season, maybe next year. I'll let you know if I need them, thanks ;)

I've already planted some seeds a month a go, peppers are growing nicely. Not sure if I'm gonna make a glog this year (last season  I only made one post :D), but I definitely will be checking yours regulary :)

Nice to know some good Kapija's are growing  :)
I always have an open bottle of Ajvar in my fridge, and a few waiting in the pantry.

Good luck buddy!

stickman said:

That reminds me... how are your tomatoes doing this season? Are the rats still eating them on you?
Oh man... dem rats had a feast buddy... not godd man, not good! Next season me is putting a cat on my must have list lol But what I did get on the plate was sensational :)

stickman said:

Cheers Shane... where are you with your scheduled deployment right now?

Dang it all... it's snowing again tonight and we needed something to warm us up, so I made some Guisado de Pollo (chicken and potato stew from Tehuantepec, Mexico)  It's got onion, garlic, carrot, potato and red bell pepper, a quartered Jalapeno and a couple of Chipotles en Adobo for the spice, and to give it a bright sweet flavor it also has crushed pineapple, culantro and freshly squeezed lime juice. http://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Mexico-Chicken-Potato-Stew   Folks, this stuff is good! :drooling:

SANY0178_zpsepktlkqb.jpg
I am always down for a good stew!

MisterNo said:

Hey Rick, thanks for the offer and the kind words. I think it's maybe too late to take those orange 7 pots into dirt this season, maybe next year. I'll let you know if I need them, thanks ;)

I've already planted some seeds a month a go, peppers are growing nicely. Not sure if I'm gonna make a glog this year (last season  I only made one post :D), but I definitely will be checking yours regulary :)

Good luck buddy!

Cheers Robert, and good luck with your grow this season too!

PeriPeri said:
Oh man... dem rats had a feast buddy... not godd man, not good! Next season me is putting a cat on my must have list lol But what I did get on the plate was sensational :)

Ool... definitely Un-like rat damage, but glad you got to enjoy at least some!

ronniedeb said:
That dish looks delicious Rick. Must give it a go. 

Plantguy76 said:
I am always down for a good stew!

Cheers guys! I hope you do try it... it'll be worth your while. :)

With half of the Kapijas germinated, I moved them downstairs to the grow box. I had 100% germination of the two Jalapeno varieties and the Serranos over the last 24 hours... (8 days since sowing)
SANY0179_zpsepuiyhvp.jpg

Only one Hungarian Pimiento hook, but probably more by tomorrow.
SANY0180_zpsmofegggj.jpg

Your grow is really taking off, Rick!  You folk are
sure having a hella winter back there.  

PaulG said:
Your grow is really taking off, Rick!  You folk are
sure having a hella winter back there.  

No worse than usual really Paul... just a lot of the cold was concentrated at the end instead of being spread out. We've only had a few days where it was above freezing during the day but with the intensity and duration of the sun this time of year it's been melting a little bit every day and the overall trend is warming. Who knows... in a few weeks the Maple sap could be running if this continues, and then Spring will definitely have sprung. :dance:

PeriPeri said:
Nabasco wherefore art thou? Last season this plant was straight out of the starting blocks and way ahead of the team.... I wonder what will happen this season ;)

You should check in more often Lourens... you ask about the Nabasco and the next day it germinates... that's some mojo my friend! :party:

I actually started it later than I did last year, which could account for some of that. It was such a vigorous grower that it didn't seem necessary to get the seeds in the ground before now.

In other news, the Thais and Hungarians are all hooking up right now. Still waiting for the larger Mexican varieties... Ancho, Mulato,  Pasilla and the Big Jim Anaheims. The Shaker heirloom Red Squash pepper has a hook, and I'm beginning to wonder if it isn't just a Hungarian Pimiento like the Pritamin, but when it sets pods I guess we'll know. I have 43 seedlings from 72 Kapija seeds, so I have the 40 plants I wanted and a little margin. 

Cheers all!

Wow, Rick, sounds like you are getting serious there!

Glad to see the hooks continue to come up for ya.  I'm
done with germination here - still no Bird's Eye, but I put
the dome in the grow shelf  instead of on the heat mat,
and we'll see what happens

stickman said:
You should check in more often Lourens... you ask about the Nabasco and the next day it germinates... that's some mojo my friend! :party:

I actually started it later than I did last year, which could account for some of that. It was such a vigorous grower that it didn't seem necessary to get the seeds in the ground before now.
lol Buddy, if it helps I will check in more often... wish that were as true for my own efforts! I remember it was an amazing grower... I hope it grows true for you again this season buddy!

PaulG said:
Wow, Rick, sounds like you are getting serious there!

Glad to see the hooks continue to come up for ya.  I'm
done with germination here - still no Bird's Eye, but I put
the dome in the grow shelf  instead of on the heat mat,
and we'll see what happens
Hey Paul buddy - is that the PeriPeri I sent you? They can take some time... if I remmeber correctly!

Back