• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Stickman's 2016 Gochu Glog- Transplanting is Finished

Hi All, I'm back again after quite a while and more than a few changes. Health issues got in the way of being active here after Christmas, but I've resolved those and am ready to plug in here again, albeit with less time than I had before. Anyway... on to the chiles!

My friends with a CISA farm have started 6 MoA Scotch Bonnets, what I hope are 2 King Nagas and a couple of Jalapenos. I have three 1020 trays worth of 3inch pots planted with 4 varieties of Gochu peppers. I sowed them a week ago and they're just now starting to sprout. I also have 12 pots of Texas Wild Pequins and 6 pots of Guwahati Bhuts planted that haven't started to sprout.

In addition to the solar food dryer, I picked up a stainless steel 10-quart pressure cooker at Christmas time, so I'm planning on experimenting with using it to process purees and sauces to hopefully make them more shelf-stable. Any input on that would be gratefully accepted. :)

Gochus starting...
SANY1071_zpsw9uylem5.jpg

Chinense varieties and Jalapenos
SANY1073_zpsupkiifxc.jpg

That's all for now... see ya all later! :party:

PaulG said:
I forgot to mention the cool-ness of your avatar pic this month!

Cheers Paul. :)  It's also the graphic I'm using in my Flaming Pumpkin hot sauce labels.

Devv said:
Wow!  Now that's a ton of sauce!

It only seems that way Scott... I can go through a bottle of sauce a week no problem, and this is supposed to last me through the winter and spring. ;)

I pulled the plug on the Gochus and Mexicans today, but left the Chiltepin and Pequins in place to finish out the season. Once I got the raised beds cleaned up I planted about 2 pounds of garlic, and have another pound to plant tomorrow. That will fill the two raised beds I had the Annuum chiles planted in this year. I'm still getting Bhuts and Scotch Bonnets in the raised bed behind the house, but probably not for much longer. I'm thinking one more batch of hot sauce and the rest will go into the dehydrator and be ground for powder... then the fat lady will be singing here.

Hope you all have a great holiday weekend!

It was a drizzly day here on the outer fringes of Hurricane Matthew, but I got the rest of the Garlic planted. I was talking to one of my neighbors, who's a professional chef, and he was saying that the hot, dry summer made for chiles that were hotter than he'd ever experienced before. Maybe so, but the rest of the garden needs some serious rain to re-hydrate. Even though it was drizzling out, the soil in most of the raised beds where I was planting the Garlic was still bone-dry. :(

Do you water the garlic after planting? I put mine in the weekend of 9-18. Been keeping them damp. Some are up, most are not :tear:

I have family in Myrtle Beach, and Mom is building a house there 2 blocks off the beach. it's on stilts but 12"s of the ocean came to visit. A really bad storm. That Surfside pier that was damaged is the one we sit under for shade when we visit. So sad to see all the damage the storm caused.

Devv said:
Do you water the garlic after planting? I put mine in the weekend of 9-18. Been keeping them damp. Some are up, most are not :tear:

I have family in Myrtle Beach, and Mom is building a house there 2 blocks off the beach. it's on stilts but 12"s of the ocean came to visit. A really bad storm. That Surfside pier that was damaged is the one we sit under for shade when we visit. So sad to see all the damage the storm caused.

The water line that feeds the drip irrigation in my community garden plot is metered, so I'll be using what's in my rain barrel as long as it holds out Scott. I'll have to check tomorrow to see if the drizzle we got today dampened the soil enough to get the garlic started. At least it topped up the rain barrel.

Sorry to hear of the damage at your Mom's place. I hope she'll be safe. :pray:

OCD Chilehead said:
Great looking sauce Rick. I'm right with ya on a bottle a week. I need to plant my garlic soon.

Thanks for the good word Chuck. :)  Yup... time to get the Garlic in so it has time to grow roots and divide before the ground freezes. I planted three kinds of hard neck Garlic... German Porcelain, German Red and Chesnok. All are supposed to be winter-hardy, but I suppose we'll see, eh? ;)

Well folks, it looks like the Fat Lady will be singing here tonight... the overnight low temps are forecast for 33 degrees, and that should put paid to the Chinense varieties in the raised bed behind the house. To that end I stripped all the pods from them to make this last harvest...
SANY1936.JPG

I potted up one of the MoA Bonnets in a 5 gal. airpot and put it in front of our south-facing sliding glass door for the winter.
SANY1935.JPG

Hope you all had a great holiday weekend... my Wife and I celebrated our 19th anniversary by going to the Trolley museum in nearby Shelburn Falls, MA, pumping a handcar down the tracks there and riding in a restored trolley.

Cheers all!

tctenten said:
Happy anniversary Rick and congrats on another great season.

Cheers Terry... and likewise for sure! :)

Thegreenchilemonster said:
Congrats on your anniversary! What do you plan on doing with all those green pods? I'm looking forward to your glog next year!

Thanks for the good vibe Dale. :)  I'm thinking of canning a roasted salsa with some of the green chiles, tomatoes, onions, garlic, lime juice and fresh cilantro... and maybe canning some green enchilada sauce. I have about a gallon of Poblanos to put into the enchilada sauce along with the green Bhuts and Scotch Bonnets.

I got a letter today from brother Uros in Slovenia with seeds for quite a few interesting chile varieties and a vegetable I've never heard of before. Thanks Uros... you rock!
IM002840.JPG

Thanks for the anniversary well-wishes folks!

OCD Chilehead said:
What will you do with all the green pods?

Trident chilli said:
Happy belated Anniversary Rick .... green pods have you a Korean recipe for these

No doubt we'll laugh about it later, but I managed to gas us out of the house when I tried to roast a green Bhut in the oven to include in some green enchilada sauce I made last night.   :doh:  We ended up going out to eat instead. After that experience, I think I'll scratch off roasting them from the list of things to do with green supers. Lol! I think I'll freeze them for use in curries I make in the slow cooker, or to make Korean-style stuffed peppers or pancakes.
http://aeriskitchen.com/2008/09/korean-stuffed-peppers-%EA%B3%A0%EC%B6%94%EC%A0%84/
http://www.maangchi.com/recipe/gochujeon

bpiela said:

I love the Chupetinho.  I have grown them the past two seasons and they will probably be an annual thing.  Good flavor, decent heat, awesome looking.  Best of luck!

Thanks for the endorsement Ben! I've grown the Chiero Recife before, and it looks a lot like that.

stickman said:
I got a letter today from brother Uros in Slovenia with seeds for quite a few interesting chile varieties and a vegetable I've never heard of before. Thanks Uros... you rock!
attachicon.gif
IM002840.JPG

Hey man. You rock more... I hope they grow well for you when you plant them. Used a half spoon of your powder blend for some honey cookies and everyone liked them... the powder adds just a little kick and it I'll sure bake some more over the winter... but will use my own powder since I have to try yours with some other dishes. Tried it already with fried eggs and goulash and it fits real nice.

Looks like you have had a good season. Frost is hitting us almost every morning this week, so it's about the same over here... need to pick the ones left behind on the garden soon.
:cheers:

Back