• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Stickman's 2016 Gochu Glog- Transplanting is Finished

Hi All, I'm back again after quite a while and more than a few changes. Health issues got in the way of being active here after Christmas, but I've resolved those and am ready to plug in here again, albeit with less time than I had before. Anyway... on to the chiles!

My friends with a CISA farm have started 6 MoA Scotch Bonnets, what I hope are 2 King Nagas and a couple of Jalapenos. I have three 1020 trays worth of 3inch pots planted with 4 varieties of Gochu peppers. I sowed them a week ago and they're just now starting to sprout. I also have 12 pots of Texas Wild Pequins and 6 pots of Guwahati Bhuts planted that haven't started to sprout.

In addition to the solar food dryer, I picked up a stainless steel 10-quart pressure cooker at Christmas time, so I'm planning on experimenting with using it to process purees and sauces to hopefully make them more shelf-stable. Any input on that would be gratefully accepted. :)

Gochus starting...
SANY1071_zpsw9uylem5.jpg

Chinense varieties and Jalapenos
SANY1073_zpsupkiifxc.jpg

That's all for now... see ya all later! :party:

tsurrie said:

Hey man. You rock more... I hope they grow well for you when you plant them. Used a half spoon of your powder blend for some honey cookies and everyone liked them... the powder adds just a little kick and it I'll sure bake some more over the winter... but will use my own powder since I have to try yours with some other dishes. Tried it already with fried eggs and goulash and it fits real nice.

Looks like you have had a good season. Frost is hitting us almost every morning this week, so it's about the same over here... need to pick the ones left behind on the garden soon.
:cheers:

Glad you liked the powder Uros... I'm sure yours is just as good. :)

OCD Chilehead said:
Hey Rick. I was thinking of trying a Soxhlet later this year.
I wonder how the quality extract would be using dried green pods.

Wow... that'd  be an interesting experiment. Let us know how it comes out if you do it. Take lots of pics!
randyp said:
Late Anniversary wishes Rick.My last pull will be today I think,I sprayed plants Thursday morning and saved mine.But It's time to put the garden out of its misery. 

ps this is the 600th reply to this topic :onfire:  :dance:

You've had a fantastic run Randy! Hopefully 2017 will be as good for all of us. Cheers!

Guatemalan Insanity Pepper said:
happy belated anniversary Rick :D

:cheers:

Thanks GIP!

I pulled the last of my chiles today after the hard frost last night... MoA Bonnets, TS Moguga, King Nagas and Bhuts. Removed two wheelbarrow loads of soil from the raised bed behind the house and filled the bed back up with an 80/20 mix of compost to Biochar. We'll let that perk this Autumn into Spring so it'll be ready to receive transplants in April.
SANY0001.JPG

Hope you're all having a productive weekend!
:party:

Devv said:
I see you're liking the results you got with biochar ;) It certainly does help!

Great season Rick!

Cheers Scott... thanks for the suggestion!

Tonight I'm making some "Fire Cider" as a winter tonic and cold-fighter. It's made of grated horseradish, ginger root, turmeric root, onions, garlic, some of my "kitchen sink" powder blend, the juice and zest of a couple oranges and lemons, and lots of unpasteurized cider vinegar. I let the vinegar and grated veggies sit for a couple of months and press them out with a tincture press. My Wife swears by it for opening her upper respiratory system when it's congested, and combined with good olive oil it makes a pretty fair salad dressing too.
IM002841.JPG

Late good anniversary here too!
Man, i love that glog, i've checked just last pages and is full of interesting things as always!
I need to sit and take more time to read all!:D

PaulG said:
You are a master of the kitchen, my friend, not to mention
of the northern latitudes chili garden  :clap:

Been a great season for you, Rick,  Enjoy a little break before 
sowing time again!

Cheers Paul! It's still kind of a zoo here getting ready for the onset of winter... I'm still looking forward to that break... ;)

Devv said:
+1 on 607 ;)

OCD Chilehead said:
Looks and sounds delicious

Essegi said:
Late good anniversary here too!
Man, i love that glog, i've checked just last pages and is full of interesting things as always!
I need to sit and take more time to read all! :D

Cheers guys!  :)

Well, the proverbial well-upholstered woman has warbled her last... we got two inches of snow here on Thursday night, preceded by 3 nights below freezing.
first snow.jpg

I picked the last pods on the Pequins this morning. They aren't ripe enough to dry with the others, but I think I'll pickle them instead.
SANY0001 (2).JPG

Cutting up the last of the ripe Bhuts for drying, I found this obscene (not so) little guy...
IM002846.JPG

Special thanks to brother Gary (windchicken) for sending out a SFRB of his Forbing Naga pods for me to sample and save seeds...
SANY0004.JPG

And brother Frank (moruga welder) for some of his brown Bonnet seeds and powder. You guys rock!

Once we get the place whipped into shape and ready for the winter, I plan on getting caught up around here and beginning to plan for the 2017 grow. Cheers all!

Forbing Naga looks good. How do they taste? Gary says they are really good. Hope you find some you time soon. If there is any seeds you are looking for let me know. I just got done labeling. Here's to 2017. I always enjoy your GLOG, Rick. Maybe mine will be more exciting next year.

Cheers

OCD Chilehead said:
Forbing Naga looks good. How do they taste? Gary says they are really good. Hope you find some you time soon. If there is any seeds you are looking for let me know. I just got done labeling. Here's to 2017. I always enjoy your GLOG, Rick. Maybe mine will be more exciting next year.

Cheers

Cheers Chuck! Gary's Forbing Nagas are quite tasty without being "melt your face" hot. I'll definitely be growing them for use in sauces and salsas.

Came home earlier this week to find a letter from sister Alana with some Aji Oro seeds from Sweden. Thanks Alana, I'm very grateful for seeds for this variety from more than one source, since I haven't had a lot of luck germinating them from seed up to now... :rolleyes:
SANY0001 (2).JPG

I've just about finished processing my pepper pods for this season... I still have to dry the last of the Aji Pineapple pods that ripened up hanging upside down in the basement, and I canned 4 pints of Chipotles en Adobo made with Moritas from my Jalapeno crop. I used the recipe Patti Jinich posted in her blog, and it was fantastic! Much better than anything store-bought. No pics on file yet, but I'll take some to post later.

Now that the garden's put to bed, it's time to switch gears and get back to trying to lose weight. I went from 230 pounds in May to 240 by the end of October... so I stopped drinking beer except for special occasions, and started using the fitbit again. After 3 weeks I'm down to 229, and have set a goal of 220 by Christmas. Who knows... I might make 200 by spring and be nearly back to what I weighed in my early 30s. :dance: It means I won't be around much this winter, but will be germinating a few seeds for 2017 after the Thanksgiving holiday. Take care all, and keep your nose in the wind... ;)

Good luck with the weight loss program ;)  It requires a lifestyle change, and is well worth it. I cut out most fried foods, cakes, cookies and candy. But one can't kill them selves not eating any ;) a treat now and then is well deserved. I subbed in fruits and veggies, as well as reduced portions of the hi-cal foods. Once the goal is reached you figure out the balance.

OCD Chilehead said:
Sounds good to me. I'll be growing Gary's BOC. Very good pepper.

Congrats on your weight loss. I've drop 8lbs in the past week. still have a ways to go.

Thanks for sharing your awesome glog. We will see you soon.

Let me know if there is any seeds you want.

Thanks Chuck.. I think I'm good for the foresee-able future. Cheers!

Trident chilli said:
Well done on the weight loss Rick not easy at this festive time ... as Chuck said awesome glog and always a pleasure to catch up with ... all the best for 2017

Thanks again John, I've sorta hit the wall and am holding steady at around 230 pounds ATM, but hope to keep whittling away by changing my dietary intake and routine.

Devv said:
Good luck with the weight loss program ;)  It requires a lifestyle change, and is well worth it. I cut out most fried foods, cakes, cookies and candy. But one can't kill them selves not eating any ;) a treat now and then is well deserved. I subbed in fruits and veggies, as well as reduced portions of the hi-cal foods. Once the goal is reached you figure out the balance.

S'right Scott... I'm still figuring it all out, but have pretty much cut out sweets except for fruit and the occasional dessert. I've also cut out beer except on special occasions... that's how I dropped 10 pounds. I'd like to drop another 30, though I find it's a mistake to cut intake too much. I come home famished and eat too much at once. Better to take the long view... ;)

Back