• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Stickman's 2017 Minimalist Glog

PaulG said:
Well done, Rick.  Great harvests and looks like more to come!
Cheers Paul! Only the Bonnets, Piment Cabri and Forbing Nagas have really kicked in. The bulk of the harvest is still 2-3 weeks away. I may have to set up the low row cover again to extend the season out past first frost to let it ripen.

Devv said:
Good luck at the fair Rick ;)  It should be a lot of fun.

And enjoy the weekend, I think all of us are ready for a nice break.

LB and I plan on cooking quite a bit this weekend after it warms, as we always have "morning work" to do here :P
I hear ya brother... I'm gonna be a salsa-making fool this weekend! I'll be canning up tomato and tomatillo salsa and an apple-raisin chutney to take to the fair.
Cheers!

Sent from my LGL44VL using Tapatalk

stickman said:
Just finished canning up some tomato-peach-scotch bonnet salsa... Time for bed. [emoji42]
attachicon.gif
0830172355.jpg

For how long time can you keep this salsa before it turns bad? How do you store it?
Also can I have the recipe of your delicious-looking caribbean ketchup?
Many thanks!

vike22 said:

For how long time can you keep this salsa before it turns bad? How do you store it?
Also can I have the recipe of your delicious-looking caribbean ketchup?
Many thanks!
Hi Viktor, welcome to the zoo! [emoji6]

The peach-tomato salsa has enough lime juice and salt that it should last at least a year if properly canned. You should check out the sauce-making thread for ending pH and percentage of salt. There's lots of good advice from some good people in there. Salsa Lady in particular is a knowledgable mentor. Cheers

stickman said:
Hi Viktor, welcome to the zoo! [emoji6]

The peach-tomato salsa has enough lime juice and salt that it should last at least a year if properly canned. You should check out the sauce-making thread for ending pH and percentage of salt. There's lots of good advice from some good people in there. Salsa Lady in particular is a knowledgable mentor. Cheers

Thanks brother, much appreciated. I will definitely check it out.

Cheers

Hi Viktor, sorry if I misunderstood your request. I got this recipe off the net and it's pretty standard. The batch I made was so mild because the bag of of Scotch Bonnet pods I used had been in my freezer for most of a year and mellowed considerably. I tweaked it by adding a tablespoon of salt and enough white vinegar that the pH (measured with litmus test strips when the sauce was cold) was around 3.7

Rick's Caribbean Ketchup

Ingredients
  • 1 tbsp salt
  • sugar to taste
  • 2 medium onions finely diced
  • 5 carrots finely chopped
  • 5 tart apples, peeled, cored and chopped, or 2 Chayote squash, pitted, peeled and chopped.
  • 3 cloves of garlic minced
  • 10 scotch bonnets (stem removed)
  • 2 mangoes
  • 10 allspice berries
  • 1 lime (juice and zest)
  • 1cm fresh ginger, grated
  • ¾ cup apple cider vinegar, plus more as needed to adjust pH

Instructions
  1. In a small sauté pan, slightly toast the allspice (you don't need to crank the heat, just heat to bring out greater flavour).
  2. As the allspice is toasting, heat a tablespoon of vegetable oil and sauté your finely chopped onion, carrot, ginger and garlic. After the spices become slightly toasted, add them to the carrot, onion, and garlic mixture.
  3. Once the onions are translucent and the mixture is soft, remove from heat and let cool.
  4. Next, add the cooled onion mixture, scotch bonnets (whole or halved is just fine), mango, vinegar, salt, juice and zest from one lime to a food processor. It will look fairly thick, but if it looks far too thick, simply add a touch more vinegar, STIR and re-blitz. Taste between each blitz to ensure it's balanced. Remember, if a sauce tastes too sour or acidic, hit it with a little more sweetness. I like to use palm sugar for this to give the sauce a more tropical taste.
  5. It's okay if your mixture is still slightly chunky at this point. Add your blitzed mixture to a saucepan and simmer for 20 minutes. Once again, let the mixture cool.
  6. Add your simmered sauce to the food processor and let it do its thing for abot 2 minutes. Let cool before checking pH because you won't get a true reading if the sauce is still hot. Stir in vinegar or citrus juice to lower the pH if necessary. A pH of less than 4 is what you're aiming for to get a shelf-stable product.  I like to bring it to 3.7.
  7. Reheat the sauce to 170 degrees Farenheit (77C) for food safety, and keep pot at a low flame while bottling. Spoon your sauce into a bottle that can be tightly capped and store upside down so you get a good seal. You're good to go! Fancy labels are optional... ;)
Here's what Anne has to say about making hot sauces...   http://thehotpepper.com/topic/29501-making-hot-sauce-101/

First batch of this weekend is done... Roasted Tomatillo Salsa. :drooling:
0902171416.jpg

My wife and I are going out dancing tonight, so the rest of the processing will happen tomorrow and monday. Cheers!

Hi folks! My Wife and I had a great time last night contra dancing at the town hall in Peterborough, NH but now it's time to get back to work canning up salsa, chutney and hot sauces. I've got the bottles and canning jars sterilizing in the dishwasher right now, and thought I'd take a few pics to show where we are in the garden now.

How it happened I don't know, but both the Forbing Nagas in the airpots are orange phenos while the two in the raised bed are red...
100_0139.JPG
100_0140.JPG

Aji Oro cross is getting its second wind and flowering heavily.
100_0141.JPG

MoA Bonnets are starting to come in strong.
100_0143.JPG

Scotch Brains
100_0144.JPG

Yellow 7-Pots
100_0145.JPG

Douglahs
100_0146.JPG

P. Dreadie Bonnets
100_0147.JPG

The indoor Douglah is just starting to fork. It's gonna be a monster when I transplant it outside next spring...
100_0136.JPG

The yellow slicing tomato is coloring up nicely too... just in time to enter into the fair.
100_0142.JPG

Have a great holiday Sunday all!

tsurrie said:
Fine recipe Rick, and that salsa looks so tasty. Need to work on something like that in the future for sure. Its good to see that you're getting lots of fruit and the dehydrator is full ...
Cheers Uros! It's probably better that it's raining here this weekend since I still have so much processing to do...
I have a lot of fun cooking things with my harvest though. If you go that road I hope you have some too. [emoji3]

Superhot Sim said:
Pods coming at great pace now Rick, love how you use all the products you grow into a variety of spicy condiments.
You cannot beat eating fresh picked out the garden.
Keep doing what you love buddy your whole blog is inspirational. [emoji106][emoji6]

Sent from my VFD 900 using Tapatalk
S'right brother, homemade is best if you know what you're doing. [emoji41]

Walchit said:
I like your solar dehydrator, I looked into those a few years ago. Never got around to making one yet though
It ended up costing me close to two c-notes to make, but will save me much more than that in the long term. It has no moving parts beyond a hinged door and the sliding vent covers. With reasonable care it should last my lifetime and beyond.

OCD Chilehead said:
Looking good Rick.

Thanks for the recipe. Glad you've gots some killer pods.
Thanks Chuck! If you can use the recipe you're entirely welcome. [emoji2]

Devv said:
Chutney, now that's some yummy good eating ;)

Funny how LB mentioned making some while we were processing Pears (again) today. GMTA?
S'right brother... We love some Indian curries, and canning up chutney ahead saves time and makes it more do-able after work on a weeknight. [emoji3]

The finished product in the first pic... Tonight's project after that... Ghost pepper sauce with tomatoes, onions, garlic and lots of red bell peppers. I've got it cooked, just need to process in the blender and then the food mill, then I'll reheat it to safe bottling temperature and get it bottled.
0903171544.jpg
0903171924.jpg

Wow all these sauces look amazing!! The roasted pineapple/mango you mentioned sounds delicious do you happen to sell any? Or can you share the recipe? [emoji51]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back