• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Stickman's 2017 Minimalist Glog

Hi folks, hope you are all having a productive weekend as we are here. I sampled one of the Piment Cabri pods this morning, and was quite happy with the flavor... a clean-tasting Habanero with about half the heat of a what's usual. I can see this one in salsa or xec without putting most of the family off.

Some of the other players...

TS Yellow hasn't started to ripen yet but has a good number of large pods that should be coming along soon.
TSy.jpg

Orange pheno Forbing Naga
FBorange.jpg

P. Dreadie Bonnet
Pdr.jpg

Scotch Brain
Sbrain.jpg

Randy's Nuke plant and first ripe pod.
R'snuke.jpg
Rnuk.jpg

I'll be making some salsa later today with tomatoes from the garden and adding my first Bonnet pods to a bag of last year's from the freezer and make a peach hot sauce with local peaches that're in season here now. We didn't get a peach crop last year, so I've been looking forward to this for a couple years now. :)

one last pic... a Robin parent feeding its nestlings under the overhang by our front door.
SANY2569.JPG

Cheers all!

Hi folks, here's a pick of this weekend's harvest. It'll be the last harvest until the start of the Franklin County Fair since I want to have some really good peppers to enter again this year.
0820172040.jpg

I know I've been a laggard with keeping up with all of your glogs this season... my apologies to anybody who feels left out, but I plead a full schedule which wasn't helped out this week when I gashed the inside of my right ring finger on a piece of glass embedded in my left knee. It was a pretty bizarre accident that left me with three stitches and a numb finger above where I cut the nerve. I expect I'll get by, but it makes my typing a lot more sloppy. Oh well... any one you can walk away from, eh?

Take care all.

FreeportBum said:
I'll plant about 50 heads and eat and gift the rest away. I use a lot of fresh garlic and love roasted garlic.

I hear ya D... we do too here in both cases! :drooling:

FreeportBum said:
Plants and pods are looking great my friend, sorry to hear about the accident. Hope you are well, cheers.

Cheers D... I'm not doing too badly... I can at least use the finger normally when it heals, but the fingertip and the side of it next to the "pinkie" is numb so my touch typing skills (such as they are) are affected. I really lucked out to the extent that I didn't sever the tendon. It twanged like a guitar string when I cut myself so I'm pretty sure I nicked it at least. Pretty strange how it happened... I was on my knees stowing straw bales in the back of my truck, and when I got out I noticed a trickle of blood from my left knee. I went to brush it away with my right hand and didn't notice that the glass was still in my knee. It must have been as sharp as a scalpel and had at least 4mm sticking out to do the damage it did to my finger.

Bhuter said:
Wow! Your plants are loaded up! Looking fantastically. Good luck with your fair entries! (I'll have to get the story behind Alphanerdz Douglah). Great stuff!

Cheers Adam! I got the seeds originally from a THP member in NZ who was living in Australia at the time, and he got them from Bentalphanerd (another THP member in Oz)

moruga welder said:
Looking good Rick !  Take care of that finger .   

Cheers Frank... will do. :)

Pods looking good Rick. Sorry to hear about the finger. I did something similar earlier this year. The feeling eventually came back months later.

Take care. Been busy working so I haven't been keeping up to date on my glog or others. I'll try and find the time to enjoy some good reading.

Take care my friend.

OCD Chilehead said:
Pods looking good Rick. Sorry to hear about the finger. I did something similar earlier this year. The feeling eventually came back months later.

Take care. Been busy working so I haven't been keeping up to date on my glog or others. I'll try and find the time to enjoy some good reading.

Take care my friend.
Thanks Chuck... My Mom said the same, but she's never experienced it. Good to know feeling will eventually come back.

I hope things have improved for your hoophouse... Any pods yet?

Today's lunch... A rice and bean burrito with my latest batch of scotch bonnet-mango sauce. It's fruity, tangy and mildly spicy so I'll call it my Caribbean ketchup. [emoji6]
Cheers all!
0821171244.jpg

Sent from my LGL44VL using Tapatalk

Devv said:
Things are looking good up your way Rick!

Sorry about the injury; and how freak of an accident is that? I'm sure the feeling will come back in time; it may take a few months though.
Cheers Scott... I'm really happy with the way things have turned out in the garden. Getting the soil tested with an eye to re-mineralization is paying off right now. I only tested my space in the community garden this spring, but will test the pepper plot behind the house as well this fall.
Thanks for the healing vibe. [emoji3]

tsurrie said:
That burrito looks tasty with that sauce. Nice pods btw and stop picking up glass with your knees. :) Seriously, take care.
Cheers Uros! I'll try to heed your advice and stop picking up glass with my knees... I see nothing good can come from it... [emoji6]

Superhot Sim said:
Some great pod action going on Rick and they look nice size as well.
Seasons ramping up nicely now.
Picked my first ripe Gochus and a load of tomato,s off the vines, so got busy in the kitchen. [emoji6]
My first Gochu spicy ketchup.
Cracking flavour Rick. Thank you for sharing.

Sent from my VFD 900 using Tapatalk
sorry to bring this back but i searched around and couldn't find a recipe...is it sharable also?
it looks fantastic

MikeUSMC said:
Looks great, Rick!

Are you allowed to share it? (the recipe, not the jars) ;)

Malarky said:
^^^please

He didn't want me to keep the recipe to myself, so here's Greg's Cooked Salsa recipe...

10 pounds of plum tomatoes, blanched, peeled and chopped
3 large yellow onions, chopped
2 celery stalks, peeled and finely diced
2 green bell peppers, chopped into 1/4 inch dice
2 red bell peppers, chopped into 1/4 inch dice
6 jalapenos, finely diced
4 serranos, finely diced
1 bunch cilantro, finely chopped
1/4 c. cider vinegar
2 tbsp sugar
salt to taste, about 2 tbsp
a few grinds of black pepper
powdered citric acid or lemon juice to stabilize pH

Bring all ingredients less citric acid to a boil. Measure 1/4 tsp citric acid or 1 tsp lemon juice into each canning jar before filling. Fill each jar with hot salsa, leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Fit tops and process in a hot water bath canner for 15 minutes.

PaulG said:
Things are really picking up speed for you, Rick.
Everything looks great!

Cheers Paul! I think you're right. :)

Malarky said:
sorry to bring this back but i searched around and couldn't find a recipe...is it sharable also?
it looks fantastic

I got the recipe for the Gochu Ketchup from a British cookbook, so I should probably not put it out here, but pm me and I'll share it with you... or you could ask Simmie. ;)

Tonight's supper was Jerk Chicken with the first of my Scotch Bonnets and Jamaican rice and "peas".
0824171957.jpg

Hang in there folks... Friday's coming! :dance:

Back