• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Stickman's 2018 Soil Mineralization Glog

Hi all! Now that the new year is here, it's time to swing into gear and get ready for the next season of growing chiles! I'll be starting my seeds in a few weeks, and after rotating the crops in my raised beds to get rid of the Pepper Maggots that showed up in 2016, I'll be able to plant a lot more this year. In the meantime, I thought I'd share what I do to prepare my garden soil for the start of the season. I've grown chiles in pots and in-ground, and for me at least, I seem to do better with the plants grown in the soil.

To start with, my garden soil is sandy, so I have to add lots of compost in the top six inches of soil to hold moisture and prevent nutrients from leaching away. Soil microbes break it down in just a few years though, so keeping it topped up is a yearly necessity. We compost our kitchen waste to that end, but there's never enough, so we also buy it from a local outfit that produces it commercially. I was put onto adding biochar as well by brother Scott (Devv.)  The biochar does the same things that humus does but it lasts longer and  helps the environment by sequestering carbon in the soil. I've also been reading about how amending with Montmorillonite clay can increase fertility and help with soil structure, but more on that in a future post.

At the end of each growing season I take soil samples from my various gardens and get them tested at Logan Labs in Ohio. They do a more thorough job than our UMass extension by testing for Cobalt, Molybdenum and Silicate levels as well as he usual suspects. :)    I'm taking a "Build and Maintain" approach toward soil nutrients because I want my plants to have the best organic nutrition available to them, and at the small scale I'm planting, it's affordable for me. http://nevegetable.org/cultural-practices/plant-nutrients  

Here's my last soil test, taken the end of November. It's the starting point for figuring what amendments I'll need when I prep my beds for planting in the spring. The pepper garden is bordered in yellow.
fall2017soiltest.png

In my next post I'll cover the math I use to figure that out. Cheers!

stickman said:
Another Sunday of filthy weather... rain, snow and sleet, but pretty typical for this time of year here. Nothing to do but stay inside, make bread and Madras curried pumpkin and red lentil soup with a dollop of whole milk yogurt and a drizzle of bhut oil. The loaves go into the oven in another 20 minutes...
e396bdf58086437f33a447539e6d498c.jpg

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk

stickman said:
Thanks Scott... how long 'til D (irt) Day... you must be getting close, if you can pry the sun away from Laurens that is... :P

Well the maters will start getting put in the ground tomorrow afternoon. The peppers at least after the 15th of March. I did start potting up a few, and they're outside unless I see temps go below 47°. The Gochu's have forked twice and I've been pinching the flower buds. I put one in a #7 pot just t see how it does.

stickman said:

Hmmm, your bread post didn't come across. I'm not going to fight it ;)

The bread looks great! And this winter here has been similar; not so much ice, but drizzle for 3 weeks straight, after several weeks of some cold (for us) weather. It looks like spring is here, and you shouldn't be all that far behind!

Devv said:

Well the maters will start getting put in the ground tomorrow afternoon. The peppers at least after the 15th of March. I did start potting up a few, and they're outside unless I see temps go below 47°. The Gochu's have forked twice and I've been pinching the flower buds. I put one in a #7 pot just t see how it does.
WOW... I won't even start my 'maters for another three weeks or my Annuum varieties for another week! Keep on truckin' Scott! [emoji106]

Devv said:

Hmmm, your bread post didn't come across. I'm not going to fight it ;)

The bread looks great! And this winter here has been similar; not so much ice, but drizzle for 3 weeks straight, after several weeks of some cold (for us) weather. It looks like spring is here, and you shouldn't be all that far behind!
Heh... it's our "everyday" bread during the cold months... whole wheat with honey and buttermilk and a couple handfuls of sunflower seeds kneaded into the dough. It's excellent alongside the soup with a drizzle of good olive oil and a shake of salt or pizza seasoning. [:drool:]

Hi Folks!
     It's two weeks in, and I have a Red Bhut up. Still waiting for the other one, the two CARDI Yellow Scorpions and the Red Rocoto but there are signs of life in one Yellow Scorpion cell and the Red Rocoto. If the other Yellow Scorp doesn't produce, I'm thinking I'll replace it with a Bhut Orange Copenhagen or a Paper Lantern Hab. We'll see.

Only three more weeks 'til the equinox!

2wkupdate.jpg

stickman said:
Hi Folks!
     It's two weeks in, and I have a Red Bhut up. Still waiting for the other one, the two CARDI Yellow Scorpions and the Red Rocoto but there are signs of life in one Yellow Scorpion cell and the Red Rocoto. If the other Yellow Scorp doesn't produce, I'm thinking I'll replace it with a Bhut Orange Copenhagen or a Paper Lantern Hab. We'll see.

Only three more weeks 'til the equinox!
attachicon.gif
2wkupdate.jpg
you should top those brain strains just below the cotyledons.  :P

Hi folks, last night I made a Korean fusion dish called dakgalbi that has lots of gochu pepper in it, plus garlic, ginger, scallion, toasted sesame oil, cabbage, Korean sweet potato, rice cakes, perilla leaves, chicken and Korean curry powder. The "secret" ingredient is mozzarella cheese! Evidently cheese is a western invention that the South Koreans have come to love.
The recipe makes enough that the leftovers mixed with cold cooked rice and a few veggies makes a nice fried rice the next day
833a37f0b8337989473f6f8f50c6b732.jpg

What sort of plant-out date you usually have in your neck of the woods? I'm shooting for mid-May here in IL but might push it back to 1st June depending on the lows in the forecast.

TrentL said:
What sort of plant-out date you usually have in your neck of the woods? I'm shooting for mid-May here in IL but might push it back to 1st June depending on the lows in the forecast.
It sorta depends on what spring conditions are like here Trent. I've transplanted outside as early as April 15th or as late as May 7th. I've learned how to get a jump on the season by starting seed germination early and using a combination of strategies to create a warmer micro-climate for my long-season chiles. I located the raised bed up against the south side of the house where the heat exchanger from the mini-split blows warmer air onto it. I also lay out infra-red transparent plastic mulch on top of the soil so the sun can heat it even more, punch holes in the plastic mulch to transplant into and set up a low row cover type of cloche over the plants to hold in the warmth at night. It buys me a few extra weeks at the start of the growing season. [emoji16]

Stickman is the king of short season. Hey, we are blessed in Africa with long seasons and sometimes it takes me as long to just germinate by seeds as it takes Rick to germinate grow and harvest his plants - and make the chillies into ten different yummy dishes and post it on the glog. We should call you Flash Chilli. I heard someone say he walks faster too.

Devv said:
Rick knows his short season clod weather techniques for sure ;)

I used the IRT plastic mulch last season and will use it again this season.

PeriPeri said:
Stickman is the king of short season. Hey, we are blessed in Africa with long seasons and sometimes it takes me as long to just germinate by seeds as it takes Rick to germinate grow and harvest his plants - and make the chillies into ten different yummy dishes and post it on the glog. We should call you Flash Chilli. I heard someone say he walks faster too.

Jeez guys... you're making me blush!  :oops: 

Walchit said:
Where do you get the plastic mulch? Is it pretty expensive?

I get mine from Johnny's Seeds up in Maine. A roll 4 feet by 50 feet is around $20... a bit steep for plastic sheeting, but it's worth it for the passive solar gain it provides. http://www.johnnyseeds.com/tools-supplies/mulches-and-landscape-fabric/solid-plastic-polyethylene-mulch/solar-mulch-4-x-50-9738.0.html?utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=CSE&utm_campaign=MerchantAdv&zmam=80483139&zmas=1&zmac=24&zmap=9738.0&source=google_johnny_seeds&utm_source=google-shopping&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=NB_PLA_GOOG&utm_content=sZLqOmgWX_dc|pcrid|71808251533|pkw||pmt||product|9738|&gclid=Cj0KCQiA5t7UBRDaARIsAOreQtjuBpbGWtDZyic0FvtZYI8MoYhp6uZ-T0W6deO3pVB61kpZmM8bxhsaAnaeEALw_wcB

Hi Folks, and welcome to the weekend. Only 17 more days 'til the vernal equinox! Things are moving along here... half of the seedlings in the Aerogarden are working on their third set of true leaves and the rest are gonna catch up soon enough.
20180303_074059.jpg

There are a couple seedlings that had a rough start. One CARDI Yellow Scorp that had one dead cotyledon, but the primary node wasn't affected, so it should pull through just fine.
20180303_073845.jpg

The other was a Yellow Brainstrain that put out the Cotys first and the root tip was trapped inside the seed coat. I had to do a little surgery to remove the seed coat and unavoidably did some damage to the root, but it's putting out its first set of true leaves now, so it should pull through as well.
20180303_073728.jpg

My wife and I met another couple to have breakfast of Maple Syrup and Pancakes at a local sugar house. They've been tapping since February 20th, which is early for around here. Hopefully that heralds an early spring!
20180303_094018.jpg

Cheers all!

Back