• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Stickman's 2018 Soil Mineralization Glog

Hi all! Now that the new year is here, it's time to swing into gear and get ready for the next season of growing chiles! I'll be starting my seeds in a few weeks, and after rotating the crops in my raised beds to get rid of the Pepper Maggots that showed up in 2016, I'll be able to plant a lot more this year. In the meantime, I thought I'd share what I do to prepare my garden soil for the start of the season. I've grown chiles in pots and in-ground, and for me at least, I seem to do better with the plants grown in the soil.

To start with, my garden soil is sandy, so I have to add lots of compost in the top six inches of soil to hold moisture and prevent nutrients from leaching away. Soil microbes break it down in just a few years though, so keeping it topped up is a yearly necessity. We compost our kitchen waste to that end, but there's never enough, so we also buy it from a local outfit that produces it commercially. I was put onto adding biochar as well by brother Scott (Devv.)  The biochar does the same things that humus does but it lasts longer and  helps the environment by sequestering carbon in the soil. I've also been reading about how amending with Montmorillonite clay can increase fertility and help with soil structure, but more on that in a future post.

At the end of each growing season I take soil samples from my various gardens and get them tested at Logan Labs in Ohio. They do a more thorough job than our UMass extension by testing for Cobalt, Molybdenum and Silicate levels as well as he usual suspects. :)    I'm taking a "Build and Maintain" approach toward soil nutrients because I want my plants to have the best organic nutrition available to them, and at the small scale I'm planting, it's affordable for me. http://nevegetable.org/cultural-practices/plant-nutrients  

Here's my last soil test, taken the end of November. It's the starting point for figuring what amendments I'll need when I prep my beds for planting in the spring. The pepper garden is bordered in yellow.
fall2017soiltest.png

In my next post I'll cover the math I use to figure that out. Cheers!

PeriPeri said:
oh man I have missed this... awesome chilli glog, hooks popping up all over the place, jumping spiders and spicy food pics :drooling: :drooling: :drooling:

It has been a while since my keyboard was drenched in drool lol
Cheers Laurens! We aim to please.... [emoji39]

Sent from my LGL44VL using Tapatalk

Hi all, the second cell of Yellow Brainstrain popped overnight, so they're 2/2 now also. Still waiting on the Yellow CARDI Scorpions, Bhuts and Red Rocoto.
We had two days of unseasonably warm temperatures here with daytime highs in the upper 60s and overnight lows in the 40s but we're back to our regularly scheduled program now...
e9f667fef04fa361d6c4e43a5e5f7124.jpg

It was really nice here for a couple days too, now it has been sleeting for a couple days! Had to scrape about an inch of ice off of the car yesterday

Walchit said:
It was really nice here for a couple days too, now it has been sleeting for a couple days! Had to scrape about an inch of ice off of the car yesterday
I hear ya brother... it's sleeting here this morning.

This warm spell we have had in IL might be a small disaster for a lot of yards this year. Hitting prolonged upper 50's / low 60's in Feb? Yeah ... lots of outside plants going to think it's spring, germinate and sprout, only to get frozen to death in a couple more weeks when the weather goes back to normal!

TrentL said:
This warm spell we have had in IL might be a small disaster for a lot of yards this year. Hitting prolonged upper 50's / low 60's in Feb? Yeah ... lots of outside plants going to think it's spring, germinate and sprout, only to get frozen to death in a couple more weeks when the weather goes back to normal!

Yeah, we lost the peach crop two years ago to that scenario. Hope it doesn't happen again this year.

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk

stickman said:
Hi all, a week in to my seed germination I have 2 MoA Bonnets, one of Guru's Yellow Brainstrains, one PDN x Bonda purple and one of the same in white. Still waiting for another Yellow Brain, 2 red Bhuts, 2 CARDI Yellow Scorpions and a Red Rocoto. Round two will be the Annuums in a couple of weeks.
attachicon.gif
112_0011.JPG

Inner perimeter security is on the job!
attachicon.gif
SANY0023.JPG

Have a happy "Hump Day" all. :P
Nice Spider!

Back